+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to prepare before reinstalling Windows?

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39492

Thumbs up What to prepare before reinstalling Windows?

So, new year, fresh Windows install. Sadly, we won't be seeing a new Windows 7 Master Razor edition. I tried playing with the files he posted, and I thought I knew about batches, but reading some of those was like Chinese to me. So I decided I'll use Microsoft's Thin PC or maybe remove a few things from BIE's December release using 7Customizer - probably the former, as I was able to install IE9 on it (inside a VM), and didn't have to deal with activators (it's free?).

Anyway, as the title says:

• First of all, I have two partitions: one for the OS only, and another for my data. This is something great everyone should do. Keep them separate and a backup of the latter will put all your important files in a safe place.
    • Download the latest graphic, network, Fn key for my laptop, etc. drivers before reinstalling, and keep them at hand. Being stunned by my own stupidity and having to hunt network drivers that may be the right ones in my other computer isn't fun.
    • A directory list of %programfiles%, so that I can know most programs I had installed, and rethink whether I really need some of them. Some essential programs (Opera, jDownloader) are used as portables, so they can be left in the other partition and will work well after reinstalling.
    • Settings: IrfanView, Winamp, SABnzbd, Filezilla Server, MPC-HC and ffdshow? Maybe others. These programs store or have the option of storing their configuration as an INI file, which is immensely practical.
    • My color schemes. Acorn in the desktop, Darkness for the laptop.

That's just off the top of my head. I may be missing some stuff and that's where you come in, with suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss89
    For me it's 3 steps:

1_ Back up: Game saves... MSN/Yahoo/MIRC logs..... IE/FF Favorites.... Windows & program keys.... Storage files for Outlook and such..... Program's settings.

2_ Preparing needed files: usually a New Antivirus & Firewall... Windows updates.... Dirvers... Keys.

3_ I check my mail online and do all my urgent things in case I .... Failed :)

Good luck
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.12.11)

Wait a minute... When using any kind of tool for reducing/splistreaming a windows os one must not use an updated windows edition. Only retail versions work correctly. I suggest you get the last sp1 retail with no updates if you want to reduce it's size.
    My previous release just needs an update. Which can be easily done. Whith this, you only need to learn integrating updates with dism and mouting/unmounting with imagex.

LE. I want an x64 of my edition as well. Several people told me that the only way to know what part of that idiot batch if failing is make a new one from scratch and test every subroutine in there. Sadly, that's probably the only way. I also need to do a damn reinstall. I don't feel like wasting 9 GB on a system that could run easily with just 1.5GB.

On topic: You've got it all covered. I don't think I need to remind you of the install steps but here:
    1. windows setup.
    2. restart after you are inside windows
    3. install drivers
    4. install windows specific (office visual basic etc.)
    5. everything else

Try to backup the settings of hard-to-configure software meaning programs with many settings/different profile configurations etc. Don't waste your time on small stuff.

LE. Happy new year anon and all other SB-I members! May the new year bring you prosperity, health and a TON a luck.
    Alex of SB-I
    Last edited by Master Razor; 31.12.11 at 01:29.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

ParamouR (31.12.11) , anon (31.12.11)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I noticed that you listed Filezilla server and with respect to that have you considered UPHClean since some system processes and applications too can keep connections to some registry files/keys within that user profile after a user logs off. Because from what I understand in cases like that a user session is prevented from completely ending which supposedly results in some problems when using a roaming profile in a server environment.

As well, have you also heard of X-setup. This program eliminates some annoyances that are usually inherent upon a newer install.

Finally, there is a program that I have been using for quite a long time and I've always found it to be quite usefull. It's powerful and honestly it does a pretty decent job of cleaning out one's registry. Registry First Aid is it's name. I have tried many reg cleaners and most (in my experience at least with my systems) have done a mediocre job. Some less than mediocre. But I've always found that RFA does a tidy job. But like with most, including this one, you still may have to on the odd occasion go into the registry to manually clean out the left overs.

I am suggesting the above program b/c as you know, after doing a clean install and then downloading all the necessary updates there is always a lot of junk reg files left over that you don't need or are not connected to any other program or have no function after the updates have taken place. This simply helps to clean out the unwanted leftovers. CCleaner never seems to clean out everything after a clean install. You need multiple programs to help you with that.
    Last edited by SealLion; 31.12.11 at 01:27.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.12.11)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39492
    Quote Originally Posted by sebota View Post
    For me it's 3 steps:

1_ Back up: Game saves... MSN/Yahoo/MIRC logs..... IE/FF Favorites.... Windows & program keys.... Storage files for Outlook and such..... Program's settings.

2_ Preparing needed files: usually a New Antivirus & Firewall... Windows updates.... Dirvers... Keys.

3_ I check my mail online and do all my urgent things in case I .... Failed :)

Good luck
    1. game saves, favorites and program settings are taken care of. Chat logs and Outlook storages I don't keep. Program keys are probably in the data partition.

2. drivers are essential, yes.

3. I can use the desktop PC to post as I screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    Wait a minute... When using any kind of tool for reducing/splistreaming a windows os one must not use an updated windows edition. Only retail versions work correctly. I suggest you get the last sp1 retail with no updates if you want to reduce it's size.
    My previous release just needs an update. Which can be easily done. Whith this, you only need to learn integrating updates with dism and mouting/unmounting with imagex.
    This sort of stuff should be left to pros like you.

Thankfully I have an image of Windows 7 retail, untouched. I don't know if I'll be bothering with this, though... there's a lot of stuff to keep in mind. Thin PC took a little more than 2GB of disk space to install itself so I'll probably use that.

Try to backup the settings of hard-to-configure software meaning programs with many settings/different profile configurations etc. Don't waste your time on small stuff.
    Yes, I didn't even mention the small stuff Things like Acrylic or NetTime aren't worth the effort of backing up their settings.

LE. Happy new year anon and all other SB-I members! May the new year bring you prosperity, health and a TON a luck.
    Alex of SB-I
    All the best for you too!

Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    I noticed that you listed Filezilla server and with respect to that have you considered UPHClean since some system processes and applications too can keep connections to some registry files/keys within that user profile after a user logs off. Because from what I understand in cases like that a user session is prevented from completely ending which supposedly results in some problems when using a roaming profile in a server environment.
    I had UPHClean and it helped me with some shutdown issues back in the XP era, very nice tool. Now everything works smoothly (and it appears 7 has that functionality built-in, via group policy and such), so I don't think I'll be installing it.

As well, have you also heard of X-setup. This program eliminates some annoyances that are usually inherent upon a newer install.
    I think I've heard about this one, is it some sort of multi-tweaking tool? I was already using "Windows 7 Manager" for this

Finally, there is a program that I have been using for quite a long time and I've always found it to be quite usefull. It's powerful and honestly it does a pretty decent job of cleaning out one's registry. Registry First Aid is it's name. I have tried many reg cleaners and most (in my experience at least with my systems) have done a mediocre job. Some less than mediocre. But I've always found that RFA does a tidy job. But like with most, including this one, you still may have to on the odd occasion go into the registry to manually clean out the left overs.
    I'm already using CCleaner's built-in cleaner and Glarysoft's Registry Repair, any idea of how it compares?

This time I'm going to be a bit more strict with what I install. That may also help. I have a lot of programs I don't use right now.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I always found that both of the above programs missed some reg files that could have been cleaned out but were missed. CCleaner only cleans 'safe' reg files. The same went with Glarysoft. Glarysoft is not that bad. It has good functionality but as with CCleaner it only cleans out the 'safe' to delete reg files that are bona fide useless. With RFA it allows you to have a look at more than safe reg files to clean out. Again, with my own machine, most of those reg files were useless and took up unneeded space. What I like about RFA is that it looks for invalid help files, both invalid reg file associations and reg file start menu links, invalid and shared links, invalid and unused software links, obsolete start menu items, invalid known .dll files and quite a bit more. Also when I use RFA v8, it gives me the option to compress/ defragment the registry. This I always find quite use full. Like CCleaner and Glarysoft it also scans several disks at the same time. Anyways, since you asked what sort of things to place on your new and clean windows os, I just thought that I would list a few of the things that I place on my Windows.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.12.11)

Here is what I do after formatting:
    1. install Download latest drivers (Nvidia, Realtek Audio and Realtek ethernet(yes, I install the official driver even if it works out of the box by Windows 7), Ricoh, Intel Chipset Driver, Monitor Driver just for the lulz) EXCEPT FOR Synaptics (if it's a laptop/netbook), Synaptics' drivers make your mouse fuzzy,stupid and 'slippery', it also installs tons of crap at startup, I use the default Windows driver.(If the computer I'm formatting isn't mine, I download drivers prior to formatting like you said, you certainly don't want the one (pc owner) who is standing next to you to think you don't know what you're doing and he'll start regretting asking for your help as a 'pro')
    2. Run Windows Update
    3. Download SRWare Iron portable and extract it
    4. Download Firefox and install it
    5. Run IE9 to get rid of the annoying messages at startup
    6. Install ALL programs in C:\7 (jD, Office 2007, Photoshop & DreamWeaver, UltraISO, Virtual CloneDrive(Best mounting software(Doesn't have crap like daemon-tools),HxD,SpyBot S&D,Avira & Comodo,IDM,VirtualBox,Notpad++,7-Zip and/or Winrar,K-lite codec pack,WampServer,TortoiseSVN,smsniff and WinPCap,RealAlternative,Fraps,DirectX and finally ImgBurn!
    7. activating Windows
    8. PLAY GAmeZ!! Work!

Here is what I do before formatting:
    1. Uninstall all programs I have (setup)s for from Control panel
    2. make a new folder with a lame name like (onanotheranotherformatfromw7,leenoxdontbugmeplz) on an ext HD or another partition
    3. cut MyPictures, MyDocuments,MyMusic,MyVideos and Downloads(which includes IDM and jD downloads)
    4. cut the whole desktop
    5. Clear all web browser's cache
    6. start -> run -> %appdata%
    7. cut firefox profiles*, IE favrites and check if there is something else interesting to copy as well
    8. cut SRWare iron's profile
    9. cut interesting folders in C and open 'unknown' files via notepad to see what's inside
    10. Browse "Program files" and check again: there isn't anything I don't have setups for and delete remaining non-default programs (Shift-Delete)
    11. Browse C:\7 and do like the previous step
    12. make all files and folders visible including protected system folders
    13. select all folders and compare them with the 'used space' on the hard disk to make sure no big difference and no big files were forgotten( I subtract Windows,Program Files folders and hibernate,pagefile system files sizes from both results) and finally get the OK to format! (I do this because I once lost some downloaded files which were downloaded by wrong to %appdata%\something folder)

Loop!

*: Be sure to copy profiles!!, I once copied the cache thinking it was the profiles and I lost 'important' data (I posted about this fail on the very first pages of the chat/spam thread )

I am cheatos

Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.12.11)

Activity Longevity
    3/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss4827
    Quote Originally Posted by cheatos View Post
    [*]Uninstall all programs I have (setup)s for from Control panel
    May I know the reason for this?

------------------------------>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<------------------------------

Thanks

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    After you've installed the OS, you may want to install a backup program. Acronis True Image Home is superb.

On a completely different note, portable JDownloader? I know there is an old version out. Is that the one you are using?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    3/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss4827
    jDownloader is portable as is.
    After installation just move the folder you installed it to.
    Java has to be installed, of course.

------------------------------>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<------------------------------

Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.12.11)

Quote Originally Posted by shoulder View Post
    May I know the reason for this?
    To apply step 10 & 11,
    and it works really well on 'weird' software others may use (of course when you're formatting others' computers), so you can ask: do you have a CD for that?

example, I formatted my aunt's PC, there was a 'weird' software on it, if I didn't pay attention to it and just formatted, my aunt would yell at me about how the computer "isn't working!".

I am cheatos

Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

shoulder (31.12.11)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39492
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    I always found that both of the above programs missed some reg files that could have been cleaned out but were missed. CCleaner only cleans 'safe' reg files. The same went with Glarysoft. Glarysoft is not that bad. It has good functionality but as with CCleaner it only cleans out the 'safe' to delete reg files that are bona fide useless. With RFA it allows you to have a look at more than safe reg files to clean out. Again, with my own machine, most of those reg files were useless and took up unneeded space. What I like about RFA is that it looks for invalid help files, both invalid reg file associations and reg file start menu links, invalid and shared links, invalid and unused software links, obsolete start menu items, invalid known .dll files and quite a bit more. Also when I use RFA v8, it gives me the option to compress/ defragment the registry. This I always find quite use full. Like CCleaner and Glarysoft it also scans several disks at the same time. Anyways, since you asked what sort of things to place on your new and clean windows os, I just thought that I would list a few of the things that I place on my Windows.
    Yes, it's cool man, I appreciate the suggestion! I might actually check RFA out to see what it's like. If it can combine the functionality of Glarysoft and REGOPTNT (with the defragger) then that's fantastic - I can use one program instead of two.

Quote Originally Posted by cheatos View Post
    Realtek ethernet(yes, I install the official driver even if it works out of the box by Windows 7)
    So do I. I guess I think the manufacturer's own driver is somehow better.

(If the computer I'm formatting isn't mine, I download drivers prior to formatting like you said, you certainly don't want the one (pc owner) who is standing next to you to think you don't know what you're doing and he'll start regretting asking for your help as a 'pro')
    I care more for stupid comments. People tend to think reinstalling is a five-minute job and that you/me should be Flash at it because we're "good with computers". That's the same logic that'd turn you into a car if you stayed inside a garage too long.

Install ALL programs in C:\7 (jD, Office 2007, Photoshop & DreamWeaver, UltraISO, Virtual CloneDrive(Best mounting software(Doesn't have crap like daemon-tools),HxD,SpyBot S&D,Avira & Comodo,IDM,VirtualBox,Notpad++,7-Zip and/or Winrar,K-lite codec pack,WampServer,TortoiseSVN,smsniff and WinPCap,RealAlternative,Fraps,DirectX and finally ImgBurn!
    Any particular reason for not using Program Files?

Uninstall all programs I have (setup)s for from Control panel
    make a new folder with a lame name like (onanotheranotherformatfromw7,leenoxdontbugmeplz) on an ext HD or another partition
    cut MyPictures, MyDocuments,MyMusic,MyVideos and Downloads(which includes IDM and jD downloads)
    I rename the Windows, Users and Program Files from the old install to something else, then have a very thorough look once the new OS is installed, then delete them from the drive. There's always enough space to do this. But I still have those from a 2007 XP install where I said "I'll do it tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow"...

Quote Originally Posted by Gapo View Post
    On a completely different note, portable JDownloader? I know there is an old version out. Is that the one you are using?
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulder View Post
    jDownloader is portable as is.
    After installation just move the folder you installed it to.
    Java has to be installed, of course.
    This guy speaks the truth.

Thanks for all the tips!

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

Two things I just remembered right now:
    • Use exctrlst.exe to disable the performance counters. This is is supposed to save some CPU.
    • Use NetTime to adjust your system time and give it that "final touch" when everything else is done. I initially used this to see if it'd make the RNG favor me. It did not.
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (31.12.11)

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    That's the same logic that'd turn you into a car if you stayed inside a garage too long.
    epic

Any particular reason for not using Program Files?
    It's shorter, plus on Windows x64, I don't have to look into "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" for software

But I still have those from a 2007 XP install where I said "I'll do it tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow"...
    Same here :thumbsupdown:!!

I rename the Windows, Users and Program Files from the old install to something else, then have a very thorough look once the new OS is installed, then delete them from the drive. There's always enough space to do this. But I still have those from a 2007 XP install where I said "I'll do it tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow"...
    hmm, good idea, but I "trust" myself that I didn't store any file in Windows directory, I also do that through check on %appdata%,users...all folders on C: and finally the compare method should be suffice..I think.
    Either way, everyone sleeps on the side that comforts him/her the best
    Last edited by cheatos; 31.12.11 at 19:23.

I am cheatos

Thanks

22. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.12.11)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 ssss39492
    A couple other tricks...

• Disable IPv6 in case you don't need it:
      In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service s\Tcpip6\Parameters
      Double-click (or create if non-existent, it's a DWORD) DisabledComponents to modify the DisabledComponents entry.
      Type 0xffffffff to disable all IPv6 components, except the IPv6 loopback interface. (Switch to hexadecimal and type ffffffff).
      You can even delete the routes that remain for loopback if you want to remove all traces (route delete ::1/128, route delete ff00::/8), but they'll come back after rebooting.

• Carrying Windows updates to another computer:
      Add all the contents of %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download to an archive. Stop the Windows Update service in the target computer, then unpack them there, same directory. Restart the service, and it'll not download what you've copied. I tried this in a VM, and it began downloading from 92% (some patches were released yesterday).

You can also delete the contents of that folder if you don't think you'll need them again. CCleaner doesn't think they're superfluous, even with the Enhancer addon. You can also delete the DataStore directory to wipe your history (and hidden updates).
    Thanks

24. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (11.01.12) , shoulder (11.01.12)

Activity Longevity
    3/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss4827
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    [*]Carrying Windows updates to another computer:
    Add all the contents of %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download to an archive. Stop the Windows Update service in the target computer, then unpack them there, same directory. Restart the service, and it'll not download what you've copied. I tried this in a VM, and it began downloading from 92% (some patches were released yesterday).
    Guess that works only with the same Windows?

Anyway, luckily my traffic is unlimited so I don't have to worry about such things, but always nice to learn something new.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast