Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss303

Goon

Goon
    Release: 2012
    Genre: Comedy
    Official Site: Goon (Official Movie Site) - Starring Seann William Scott, Jay Baruchel, and Liev Schreiber - On Demand February 24th and In Theatres March 30th - Trailers, Pictures & More
    Director: Michael Dowse
    Cast: Seann William Scott, Jay Baruchel, Alison Pill, Marc-André Grondin, Eugene Levy, Liev Schreiber
    Run Time: 91 minutes
    IMDB: Goon (2011) - IMDb
    Doug Glatt, a slacker who discovers he has a talent for brawling is approached by a minor league hockey coach and invited to join the team as the "muscle." Despite the fact that Glatt can't skate his best friend, Pat, convinces him to give it a shot, and Glatt becomes a hero to the team and their fans, until the league's reigning goon becomes threatened by Glatt's success and decides to even the score.
    Last edited by leechmodder; 24.12.11 at 04:50.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (24.12.11) , yoco (24.12.11) , SealLion (24.12.11)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I don't think that the film appeals to me simply b/c the comedy feature or aspect isn't really for me. Here's what I see when I see this trailer:

What I see is more than just the approach of violence furthered into film as much as it already is currently. Firstly, are not sports athletes depicted as role models to some people?? I believe so. Most especially to fairly younger people who have impressionable minds. What I am in the belief of is that violence inside sports such as hockey seems to be based on the idea that sports is an area of life in which it's allowed to suspend the usual moral and ethical standards.

It might be true in some respects to think that the arena or sports field is the wrong place to think about ethics. But I disagree with that. Why are there 2 different sides to ethics and morals in general everyday life when comparing sports and outside of sports?? I could never figure that one out.

The second thing I see in this film is that it glorifies violence and pretty much makes true with what I've briefly mentioned above. It should be noted that sponsors and media refuse to discourage that violence because it attracts spectators who come. In this case the spectators are the viewing public. So the public goes and laughs at all the punch-outs and brawls but isn't aware of the general message being given.

Something else that I've become aware of and that is that players, and in this case it's hockey players, who don't participate in the violence endanger their jobs believe it or not. I believe that most players don't want to see a game where their lives (or even the lives of others) are placed in jeopardy. Would you want to see your life placed in jeopardy?? I'm guessing not. So anyways, that same pressure ultimately comes from the owners who are the sponsors and the media and who are into making the profits of said game.

A third point that I"m going to touch upon is that kids who watch some kind of act of violence committed by a thief, a murderer, or sadists in films or on TV will know that his society disapproves of these acts. You see, the child who is watching a sport knows that athletes' acts of violence are approved of. What a sad thing that is. It's unfortunate because that young viewer, since I decided to use younger viewers as examples, are not aware of the owners' commercial interests than the players' inclinations for having a punch-up in the middle of the arena.

And in having said that it makes sense that violence inside a sports game is going to serve as an important role model for that young viewer who might be socially adjusted and while illegal violence that he or she sees on the screen would tend to have a greater influence on the behaviors of children who are more psychologically damaged and feel more alienated from the society. So what does that say?? That's a rhetorical question.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

seldom (28.02.12) , slikrapid (24.12.11)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    @SealLion:

What I am in the belief of is that violence inside sports such as hockey seems to be based on the idea that sports is an area of life in which it's allowed to suspend the usual moral and ethical standards.
    only in certain leagues:

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    the National Hockey League (NHL) and most minor professional leagues in North America do not eject players outright for fighting[6] but major European and collegiate hockey leagues do, and multi-game suspensions may be added on top of the ejection.[7] Therefore, the vast majority of fights occur in the NHL and other North American professional leagues.
    as for those standards, they get broken all the time in every area of human activity with varying frequency, often even there where they are supposed to be the most upheld (fi. church, courts)

The second thing I see in this film is that it glorifies violence
    yeah, but its so badly done, no one will take it seriously

I believe that most players don't want to see a game where their lives (or even the lives of others) are placed in jeopardy.
    umm, what about boxing, mma, rugby?

kids who watch some kind of act of violence committed by a thief, a murderer, or sadists in films or on TV will know that his society disapproves of these acts...the child who is watching a sport knows that athletes' acts of violence are approved of.
    if the kid's parents have any authority/interest, they will teach him how to deal with violence (btw. their position on violence supersedes societal values) - then it doesn't matter what gets shown on tv/films/games/...

btw, the movie seems like a cheap half-baked mess, ie. not worth watching
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

seldom (28.02.12) , SealLion (24.12.11)

This was really enjoyable.Seriously, don't have anything to watch ? Watch this.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

leechmodder (27.02.12)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss303
    Downloaded the HDRip but I didn't get the time to watch this. As it is, I am already a fan of SWC and with SBfreak recommending this, I can't wait to have a go.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread