Thread: Windows 8 build 8158 images leak, show off improved Charms Bar

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773

Windows 8 build 8158 images leak, show off improved Charms Bar

A Chinese website has posted up images of Windows 8, build 8158 sporting an updated "Charm bar"; a possible companion for the Metro Start Screen? It looks like it can be styled as well.

Chinese website PCBeta has posted up images of another leaked build of Windows 8, build 8158. This time showing of an updated "Longhornesq" charm bar on the right side of the screen, and unlike the Windows Developer Preview, it's brought out by bringing the mouse to bottom-right of the screen.

Charm bar enabled, with easy access options.

Charm bar disabled and Windows Internet Explorer 10 build 8158 shown.

The above screenshot is interesting for one thing alone; finally silent updates of Internet Explorer will be possible with a "Install new versions automatically" option. We can only guess if browser updates will still require a full restart of Windows though!

The Windows App store tile making an appearance.

The fact that the Control Panel icon has been placed on the desktop by the leakers of these screenshots, could mean that accessing it from the Start button is still a tedious exercise for desktop users, perhaps indicating that it still links to the Metro styled "apps" screen as shown in another screenshot included in the gallery (below).
    Over on the My Digital Life forums, notorious leaker canouna also showed off a desktop screenshot of a later build, stamped 816x (last is number hidden) which shows the charm bar can also be transparent on the desktop.

Spoiler More Info:
    It would be interesting to know a little more about the Charm bar and it's reasoning for even being there, possibly as a compliment to the Metro styled Start Screen? In time we'll all have a chance to try it out for ourselves when the beta lands, around January or February 2012.

And in case you were wondering if you could get this to work on the Windows Developer Preview, yes it's possible! Thanks to @Vasudevg for the tip!

Images credit: PCBeta & MDL.
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

BrianBosworth (14.12.11) , SealLion (14.12.11)

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    This is starting to look like a big failure. I don't want Vista again.....
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss303
    Yeah I wasn't impressed with the beta that I tried. Win 7 is better for now.
    Will Win 8 be a flop? Considering what I have experienced with the beta, I will say yes but it is still beta and there is a lot of fine-tuning to be done. Let's see.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773
    With the current feature support situation I won't prefer Win 8 yet. If you sense what I'm sensing there seems Microsoft is trying to relate and pair up the looks of Windows 8 with Windows Phone 7.5 OS
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Thanks

I think I'm going to wait for the beta before I render my judgment upon microsoft.The Developer preview was a bad experience for me but that doesn't mean Win8 will be a total failure.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    That side-bar thingy is just the same thing that Vista had . This is basically the same thing except that it's called up by a cursor. Most side-bar programs are and can be called up by movement of the cursor. Nothing new here other that I see.
    Last edited by SealLion; 14.12.11 at 19:33.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    it just feels as it always dös. they show new things that don't really matter while the important things are hardly touched
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread