+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FATE Thread

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    So you have not met any sellers inside the dungeon levels yet b/c they do appear. Interestingly, these vendors also appear inside Torchlight dungeon levels.
    I've met, dried those, and sold them items until their back ached from carrying so much junk, too!

When drying out the sellers and then returning back to the dungeon and then immediately returning back to town the vendors are usually fully re-equipped with new potions and other wares. Have you tried that strategy yet?? It's a great way to ensure you fully equipped.
    Well, today alone I must have gone through portals back and forth approximately 5000 times, but they didn't restock. Do you have to go through the door to DL 1, then immediately ascend the staits back to town for a restock?

By the way, what about having a sub-sub-forum strictly for specific game chats inside the Games forum itself?? One could start a thread for their own kind of game discussions if that would interest anyone that is.
    I don't see the problem with starting a thread for this within the Games forum as we have it now. It's not just for trailers and general comments. Although we'd probably be the only ones to post on it
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I..... Do you have to go through the door to DL 1, then immediately ascend the staits back to town for a restock?

Hmmm. I can't remember if FATE 1 is like that. I do know that FATE-TS and FATE-Cursed King are like that. Interesting idea now that we've brought up this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I don't see the problem with starting a thread for this within the Games forum as we have it now. It's not just for trailers and general comments. Although we'd probably be the only ones to post on it
    Let's do it. . <---I think these are the 1st Waffles smilies I've ever used here.

Is is best to move these recent posts about FATE to the new games sub-forum thread so as to keep the info in these posts compiled there??
    Last edited by SealLion; 27.11.11 at 04:03.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I've managed to accumulate a small and growing army when dungeoning down below. I now have dragon-summoning spells and some of my allies that I hired from town have got skeleton, shrike, rat, crab, and a host of other spells that they use, via their own AI, to fight the demons below.

No longer do I fear the Elite Sasquatches or even the fire breathing dragons. Those guys are history, man.

With my small army of about 10 or so (this includes my 3 allies--2 elves and a human), dragons that I conjure, skeletons conjured by one of my elves, my pet whom I've transformed into an "abomination-creature"--it's tougher now. , and a couple of shrikes that get conjured from either me or my allies, killing the big beasts is no longer an issue. It's party-time!!!!

Here is a strategy that I've come up with. Just before I venture down to the next dungeon level, I usually "spell-up" a couple of dragons and some shrikes whom I know are fairly tuff for deeper expeditions. This along with 'group-battle fog' spells and another group protective spell that encompasses my entire army, including the spell-conjured beasts. I do this b/c according to my own experiences, as soon as I enter into some of the deeper domains of the dungeons, the minute I get there I am assaulted by a myriad, if not an army, of fairly tough monsters who, if I'm not prepared to meet them with my own little army, will usually annihilate me. So since I've developed this very simple strategy of preparedness, it's me who comes with the onslaught.

I call it The Mother of Onslaughts.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Is is best to move these recent posts about FATE to the new games sub-forum thread so as to keep the info in these posts compiled there??
    So be it!

I've managed to accumulate a small and growing army when dungeoning down below. I now have dragon-summoning spells and some of my allies that I hired from town have got skeleton, shrike, rat, crab, and a host of other spells that they use, via their own AI, to fight the demons below.

No longer do I fear the Elite Sasquatches or even the fire breathing dragons. Those guys are history, man.

With my small army of about 10 or so (this includes my 3 allies--2 elves and a human), dragons that I conjure, skeletons conjured by one of my elves, my pet whom I've transformed into an "abomination-creature"--it's tougher now. , and a couple of shrikes that get conjured from either me or my allies, killing the big beasts is no longer an issue. It's party-time!!!!
    Me, I only have my doggie. He's incredibly tough for a puppy, though. I name him BreakMe after the backstabbing greater earth elemental from ADOM - thankfully this one can't die or turn on me.

About your little army, enemies come in hordes at you, so it'd make sense to return the favor. I was almost killed by a swarm of spiders today myself. At lower dungeon levels it can only get worse. I haven't seen dragons so far, the toughest monsters for now were some of the quest guardians.

The problems I see with that tactic are that you have to look after your companions and they can steal experience from you at times, but when it's either that or you venturing on your own and dying, they become non-issues. Also, at the point you're in the game the rush to gain levels is less powerful. In ADOM you can go up to level 50, but I stop looking at the experience display after the 30th one
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (24.12.11)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Yes. That is true with respect to my henchmen gaining experience and fame points from me (or rather taking them from me when I could get it instead) when they are tackling the monsters beside me. The thing is, is that they are outfitted with armor and weapons that require a certain degree of strength and magical attributes as you, the player do.

When they gain experience, it is me who distributes the points to where I would deem them best suited. Since for the most part, I give them my hand-me-down armor and magical weapons as well as give them spells to learn for both passive, defensive, and offensive moves, I really have no option other than to let them fight alongside me.

I am actually preparing them for further adventures to a different dungeon accessible from town. This other dungeon accessible from town is a bit more challenging. So I need to strengthen them up with appropriate weapon-gear. I recently added a third mercenary to my small troop and he (being one of the elves) was not as top-geared as the first 2. So for me to delve a bit deeper down in one of the other dungeons is for him (i.e., the AI ) a necessary adventure in the gaining of experience and strength and all the other attributes.

And also, now that I transformed my pet into an abomination-creature, he's also tougher. I had him once into a flaming mustang ( permanent transformation) which I really liked. He was cool. But I wanted to try out some other permanent transformation for him. And this newer transformation gives him better strenght attributes.

I was thinking last night, I want my gold back.
    When I ventured down to level 10000 (to see what it was like) and was instantly assaulted by some unseen force down there, I chose my 'fate' which was to ascend 3 levels (level 9997. This way all I lose is my gold but not my experience and fame.) which leaves me no option other than to fight all the big baddies along the way till I eventually reached back down to level 10000. I knew I wasn't going to make it so I just hit the Ctrl+Shift+~ in which I was able to ascend to the level I left before my mistaken adventure waaaaay down there. LOL.
    Last edited by SealLion; 27.11.11 at 16:15.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Well, I discovered the meaning of the game's name seven times today, mostly after being overwhelmed and unable to move. I always chose to be healed and teleported while leaving my gold behind. Never liked the idea of losing my experience points, and the gold is guaranteed to be recovered if you make it to the place you died on. After dying again on the way to recovering my ~50000 gp, I saved the game and took a break, however.

I also found a scroll of frost and learned the spell from it - it's awesome! Damage is okay, but it slows enemies in addition, even if they're 100% ice resistant. That way you can use guerrilla tactics - freeze, hit with trident, retreat, hit again, and so on. This must be even better with ranged weapons, but I have already invested a large amount of points in polearms.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Oh, guerrilla tactics are great. I do that too as a matter of fact. I recently had an encounter with an almost indestructible Orc who, I couldn't figure it out but seemed to also have this dragon that could transform in and out. At first, I thought that the dragon, being as big as my screen and not a small dragon either mind you, was part of the pack that was attacking me. But after I killed this Orc (part of my quest) the dragon was gone. Simply disappeared. Anyways, what I wanted to say is that during my encounter with the Orc I also was using the guerrilla tactical attack method. Works great, I know.
    I was using pretty much all I had. I'd go from defensive battle fog and dervish spells to offensive lighting storms and firewall spells. I swear this thing was tough. What really bugs me is I keep encountering the curse of t'kala's ghost throughout the game play. He won't permanently die until I venture forth to one of the other dungeons accessible from town and do destroy him there with a quest I've already been given. He's a level 100 ghost but weak as can be.

By-the-way, have you heard of this game called Hazen?? It seems to be a similar FATE/Torchlight RPG game by the looks of it. Here's the link.

The graphics look similar to FATE and also must be an RPG game. It looks interesting by it's screen shots. I've watched one or 2 YT videos of it's game play and I notice that there is no music in the background during the adventure as there is in both FATE and Torchlight. In that sense it makes for kind of a boring game play when there is no background music I find.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Oh, guerrilla tactics are great. I do that too as a matter of fact. I recently had an encounter with an almost indestructible Orc who, I couldn't figure it out but seemed to also have this dragon that could transform in and out. At first, I thought that the dragon, being as big as my screen and not a small dragon either mind you, was part of the pack that was attacking me. But after I killed this Orc (part of my quest) the dragon was gone. Simply disappeared.
    "Dispelled", right? I got the same with a swarm of giant rats summoned by a fire beetle quest guardian today. It also summoned a ton of hags and that's why I died in the first encounter. They cornered me, blocked the door, and only allowed me to see how my HP went down to zero...

By-the-way, have you heard of this game called Hazen?? It seems to be a similar FATE/Torchlight RPG game by the looks of it. Here's the link.

The graphics look similar to FATE and also must be an RPG game. It looks interesting by it's screen shots.
    The interface in all these games is like Diablo, which further took some elements from roguelike games (e.g. Rogue, NetHack, and ADOM) such as random dungeons and permanent death (in the higher difficulty levels). I've played Shadowflare and MU Online and they're both like this, too.

I've watched one or 2 YT videos of it's game play and I notice that there is no music in the background during the adventure as there is in both FATE and Torchlight. In that sense it makes for kind of a boring game play when there is no background music I find.
    I turned music off in FATE, there's always Winamp.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Yes. That's what I meant. 'Dispelled'.
    Oh, ya. Don't you just love it when they corner you. It must be an AI built into the game which is somewhat neat because it does envelope some skill in maneuvering out of that particular position.

Other than that I died 3 times today on the same level and each time after I choose the 3rd 'fate' option to be ascended 3 levels upward minus my gold of course, I'm really, really sick and tired of having to navigate through those 3 dungeon levels in order to find the exit to descend further downwards to retrieve my gold and finish the task given to me.

How about yourself?? Are you just attempting to navigate through to the next DL exit without fighting or are you actually attempting to fight the monsters so as to get to the next DL exit?? What I've been doing in that particular situation is begin a defensive spell like dervish or something similar along with bringing up spells like shrikes that the monsters can attack instead while still following me to the exit. This way, I've managed to run around the dungeons relatively unscathed and yet still be able to get to the exit to the next lower DL.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Other than that I died 3 times today on the same level and each time after I choose the 3rd 'fate' option to be ascended 3 levels upward minus my gold of course, I'm really, really sick and tired of having to navigate through those 3 dungeon levels in order to find the exit to descend further downwards to retrieve my gold and finish the task given to me.
    Today I realized what a daunting task it can be, but compared to other games, it's a pretty tame punishment. At least you don't forcibly lose experience, drop items (these two happened in the online MMOs I've played) or die permanently and irrevocably. Besides, if you die facing a particular enemy too often, maybe your strategy must be reconsidered.

How about yourself?? Are you just attempting to navigate through to the next DL exit without fighting or are you actually attempting to fight the monsters so as to get to the next DL exit??
    The first time I visit a dungeon, I kill everything in sight, and don't leave a single pixel unexplored. That way I can stock on all the available goodies (monster and crate drops) and experience before descending to the next DL. When I die and choose to be teleported 3 levels above, I just rush to the down stairs to recover my gold quickly. If my character still remembers the map (there's a spell for this also, but I need to beef up my charm magic skill first), it can be done quickly.

What I've been doing in that particular situation is begin a defensive spell like dervish or something similar along with bringing up spells like shrikes that the monsters can attack instead while still following me to the exit. This way, I've managed to run around the dungeons relatively unscathed and yet still be able to get to the exit to the next lower DL.
    Thankfully monsters won't follow you through portals. Using a portal book to get back to safety and obtain free healing when things get ugly is already a key strategy here.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Well, I gave up on trying to find my gold. I died a few more times today and I chose to pay some gps to heal and transport me to a nearby level. Gold's not really an issue now as the junk I find sells pretty well. What they didn't tell me is that "nearby" can also mean "below", and I was lucky to create a town portal while overwhelmed in DL 17. Not going through it again, I'll just start in the first level and rush to the down stairs as soon as I find them.

Zombies are knocked back when hit, and this can bury them in a wall, where they can't be hit in melee but can bash you freely. If you move backwards, they'll come out. Probably a bug.

Also:

How the feck did you lose your amulet in the 18th level if you haven't moved an inch from your location and certainly wouldn't survive the trip!?
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Yes. I've noticed that too on occasion where there are a couple of zombies that move into a wall and they may cause damage to you but you not to them. I agree, it might be some sort of bug.

Anyways, I managed to get a quest today in which I had to destroy some pinnacle-of-something-famous. The thing was guarded by (the second time now) of dragons that did not dispel because of some giant Orc being present but these babies were real and about half the size of my computer screen.
    Pretty big I'd say so.
    Four of them were there.
    I kept giving them the sharp edge of my fiery fire storm spell along with having transformed my lovely little boar pet into a wolverine.
    He's a nice doggy now.

Along with a small army of vicious Shrikes, Gargoyles, and a couple of ghost Valkyries. I felt I was set and ready for a nice battle where I figured I was gonna get dragon meat for supper any time now.

Not so easily I guess.
    I died about 3 times and I kept having to resurrect my army of battle companions over a number of times b/c these nasties were tough as nails. I swear I must have battled it out for about 1/2 hour with them over and over and over. I was not pleased and I beginning to think my idea of dragon meat stewed in their own blood was leaving me ever the farther behind.

Finally, I was beginning to see the end in sight. I triumphed over one of them, quickly grabbed my stolen gold from them (b/c I died a few times already and had to get it back from them--they weren't nice. They stole my gold from me) and continued on to the slaughter.

My battle-fog spell was becoming next to useless with these babies as I kept having to conjure this spell over again along with continually having to conjure my army of Gargoyles and what-not that I kept with me. I swear if it wasn't for these spell conjured beasts I would have been having a tougher time at it then I would have wanted to.
    Finally, the end was coming closer and closer as I was beating them one after the other along with this famous pinnacle-of-what-ever.

I over saw the death and destruction I caused and I was pleased.

I am a He-Man now.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Any chances you can post a screenshot of that super-duper character like I did with my prospective ADOM winners?

I wouldn't like to spoil myself, but I don't think a picture will terribly alter my playing experience!
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Are you talking about the dragons or my Wolverine pet??
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Just a screenshot of you and your pet
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread