+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeking clipboard manager/extender

Seeking clipboard manager/extender

A few years back, I've used clipmate, whick is a clipboard extender. These are programs that allow you to manipulate the windows clipboard by deleting, editing, arranging text and objects that have been copied. I'm looking for a program similar to clipmate (perhaps more advanced) and is actively developed (unlike clipmate which is 2 years old).
    Thank you
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    There is a program that I have used myself a number of times. It's called 'ditto'. Another program called ClipX exists as well. Perhaps you have heard of either of those. Ditto I find is a bit better than ClipX. ClipX has some plugins but only useful if you use the kind of plugins that are available (which isn't much to begin with. I would forget the plugins altogether.)

With ditto, you have quite a bit of options available. You can send the copied material to a specified folder within ditto. as well as have it store up to what-ever amount of clips you feel you need. Many other options available as well.

One last thing. Regarding development. One thing I have known is that if a program works well and really does not have any problems in it's use there really is not much of a need to fix or further develop it. Ditto is a few years old as is ClipX is. Ditto, since I initially installed it only had about 1 update to it. It works very well I find. Like I said, it has a lot of options. More than what I expected when I first used it. ClipX as well, but not as many. Probably because it doesn't need so many options. Both are very lightweight and load up fairly fast. Both can be loaded up on Windows start-up and both have the option to have their histories cleared when desired.

Hope the above info has helped.

EDIT: One final note. With ditto, if your concerned about security, you can always erase it's .db (database file) file which will build up again the next time you use it.
    Last edited by SealLion; 28.10.11 at 19:56.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

DriftKing (30.10.11)

I used ditto and it was lacking some functions, such as:
    -paste and move to the next item
    -concatenate copied text
    -replace copied text
    I like ditto but it's just doesn't offer the functionality that I need. I'll use it though for my non-essential tasks because it's lightweight.

On the development note, I totally agree. I'm assuming they will have a negative impact on system performance if I copy hundreds of text strings, files?
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    On the development note, I totally agree. I'm assuming they will have a negative impact on system performance if I copy hundreds of text strings, files?
    It's possible though it's hard to gauge to what degree an impact might have on system performance. It might take a bit longer for a clipboard program to load; however, remember if the program takes up a lot of resources while in your taskbar, then it might take a bit longer to load up.
    Most obviously, you'll be interested in a program that has a small CPU footprint.

What about Puretext? It's a free portable program that is very small. The only other ones I can think of atm are Jumpcut which does give a user access to their clipboard history. Albiet, I don't know how far Jumpcut can access a clipboard's history ( unlike ditto). That is, I don't know if it's clipboard history has a limit to it. The other one being Yankee Clipper III which I know handles pictures and what-ever else you would like clipboarded. It also has a permanent storage of clips ability as ditto does. It's also free. Actually, I think this one is better than ClipX by a mile, too. Maybe check Yankee Clipper III out if you like. Sorry, MR. Those are the only one's I can think of atm.

EDIT: I forgot. There is one alternative to the one's I've listed. I recall a program called clipdiary. It's pretty decent and I know that it starts on Windows start-up. Other things that I recall about clipdiary are that it even saves screens. Regardless of the amount. But ditto does that too, I believe. The other thing about clipdiary is that it also copies RTF, HTML, files and plain texts.

Softpedia has a download link for it.
    Last edited by SealLion; 29.10.11 at 01:27.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (29.10.11)

Clipdiary is pretty much the same as ditto, exception being the nice interface and ability to copy HTML and RTF. Both have a very small fottprint, so they are good for what I need. I tried Yankee Cliper 3 but I didn't like (it uses a very old installer that could mess up things in windows 7).
    Puretext is very small but it doesn't use a database (from what I've seen). It just a basic operation of copying text to notepad and then recopy it somewhere else.

All things considered, I have learned about some new lightweight programs (which I really needed because clipmate, dispite being a full featured clipboard extender, is very bloated). Still couldn't find a replacement for clipmate but for day-to-day use, ditto is excellent. Thanks for your suggestions and your insight on development.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (30.10.11)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    ... Thanks for your suggestions and your insight on development.
    No problem.

Small footprints on the CPU are important. Those clipboard extensions were pretty much all I could think of. There are many, many others around of course.

What I might want to add is something that you mentioned re: clipmate and it's bloatedness ( I touched on it lightly earlier). If all your really looking to get is something that just does a plain copy/paste job then you have to consider getting rid of your current clipboard. Obviosly, that's what your wanting to do. Currently, with the OS that I'm using, I use ClipX. On another OS, just for the sake of variety, I use something else.

Speaking for myself only, it does the job I want it too. I can go back into the copy/paste history and work from there. It's not bloated, loads up quick, and has a very small assortment of configurations to it. Most of which I've turned off such as ignoring the bitmap entries as I never really use those. Most clipboard extensions would have something like this anyways.

As far as I can tell, what your looking for is something that has a small CPU footprint which is in itself quite important actually. You don't want something that hogs your CPU at the cost of other programs. Your also looking for something that is not bloated. Bloatedness leads to uselessness.

One thing I do like about ClipX is that I can change the taskbar icon. It is definitely not bloated. Uses about 420 K. It also has a few that it comes with. It's database can be cleared directly from the program itself and also can save up to about 1000 entries which is more than what most people would probably really need.

If none of the one's that I've cited here really don't match what your looking for then all I can really suggest is that you have a look around the internet. Or try ClipX and see how that goes.

Most of the clipboard extensions are free. Some are shareware of which I am sure you would be able to find a serial for unless your interested in finding an older version of one that was at one point freeware. But be warned, I wouldn't be surprised to find that shareware clipboard extensions are also bloated. So keep that in mind.

I do recall you having mentioned that you were looking for one that is updated frequently. How important is that to you?? That is one question you need to consider. This is how I think of that same question: " If the program works the way I want it to, why do I need it fixed??"
    Last edited by SealLion; 30.10.11 at 05:16.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread