Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7978

C++ Redistributable

Hey! So you know when you install a new game and at the end it prompts you to install Microsoft C++ 2005/8 Redistributable. Is it necessary to always install it or can I cancel it if I already have it on my system? I just looked on my PC and I have three C++ 2005 and two C++2008 installed already. Will it be something wrong if I uninstall them and leave just one?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

You can cancel the install if you already have it.
    If you uninstall them, the application (or some part of it) will not work correctly. You MUST have all of them installed up to the version of c++ the game wants to install.
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (16.10.11)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7978
    But how do I know the one that game wants me to install is newer then the one I already have?
    Thanks

AFAIK almost all games gives you a prompt whether to install c++ runtimes, direct x etc and also gives you the version number.
    You'll need to see the c++ versions you already have and then compare it to the games prompt version. One way of acomplishing this task is to go to %windir%\system32 and do a search for mfc

Here are some versions:
    VC++ 6.0 MFC 6.0 (mfc42.dll)
    VC++ 2003 MFC 7.1 (mfc71.dll)
    VC++ 2005 MFC 8.0 (mfc80.dll)
    VC++ 2008 MFC 9.0 (mfc90.dll)
    VC++ 2010 MFC 10.00 (mfc100.dll)

Hope this helps.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (16.10.11)

P2P Client
    Dragon Fist
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss133
    Most of the time any version of Visual C++ 20XX will work just fine with your games (most updates these days are usually concerning security and not performance). Though I recommend installing any redistributable packages games prompt you with, because they usually just update your current install, and not bloat your system with unnecessary dlls. I know that the Program & Features entries pile up in there but don't worry. If you want to clean up around there just grab any tweaking software that has uninstall features and delete the entries ( don't uninstall them).
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (16.10.11)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39473
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    But how do I know the one that game wants me to install is newer then the one I already have?
    Depending on the installer, you may be asked what to do if you're trying to install a version older than what you already have.

Also, Windows XP and above have this thing...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (17.10.11)

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss11
    Not to throw a spanner in the works here but companies can make their own custom c++ redistributables too. I have experienced it before myself with a program called Dragon naturally speaking. I installed the program and tried to start it but it came up with an error that it needed c++ of a certain version. I downloaded it from Microsoft and installed it. The error still came up. After much ball ache and messing around I found the the needed c++ on the actual disc and everything ran smoothly after that. So from my own experience I would install any included c++ redistributables. If the program stops and says that "the target file exists and is newer than the source" I would always keep the newer file.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread