+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disk Overload since uTorrent 2.2.1

It'll slow speeds to a trickle until the disk ceases to be overloaded
    The way I figure it, disk overload always appear at the start of a download. Utorrent doesn't create the file(s) unless enough data is gathered. So, in my case, the download starts at 0 kb and skyrockets to 6Mb in about 4 seconds. By that time the disk goes into an overload state because it first creates the files and then move the data into them.

Pre-allocating the data makes sense: You create the container first and then move the data in it.

However, using the disk cache settings overrides the automatic cache size. Instead of moving 30Mb you set it to move 500mb. Doing so, utorrent will write to the disk less by carrying high amount of data at one time. But it takes away RAM and it doesn't guarantee that disk overload won't be produced.

I think writing to the disk every 8 seconds is as bad as disabling disk cache. Reason is that some times the HDDs park their head and constantly using it may wear out the drive.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 03.02.13 at 20:19.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (04.02.13)

Unregistered

disk overloaded 100%

I know this is an old thread but to solve that issue, all I've had to do ( after trying all those tricks online ) was to tick the box "move completed downloads to" ( choose folder) and that was it... no "put new downloads in" or anything. just that box ticked. Worked for me. I didn't use to have this problem in the 10 years I have used utorrent 2.2.1 but when I changed pc and needed to re-install it the problem started. I have tried ALL the fixes online ( cache ,false/true alterations , etc... ) nothing worked. Then I realised I had 2 boxes ticked : "put new downloads in" and move downloads to " .In fact just selected move completed downloads to and unticked put new downloads in and now it's back to the old days...;-)
    hope this helps.

Unregistered

utorrent disk overloaded 100%

Hi all.
    In my case I only had to check " move completed downloads to " and select a path ( external hdd in my case ).
    I had tried all the fixes available online ( cache , true / false , etc...) nothing worked. Because I had been using utorrent for years with no issues before , I assumed it was something to do with the settings and not the program.
    Then I realised I had 2 boxes ticked for downloads : 1) put new downloads in
    2) move completed downloads to
    So I thought why should I have to download stuff on an hdd to be transferred to the same hdd?
    That was where my problem lies.
    Now it's fixed, no more disk overloaded ...
    Maybe worth a try..

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Then I realised I had 2 boxes ticked for downloads : 1) put new downloads in
    2) move completed downloads to
    So I thought why should I have to download stuff on an hdd to be transferred to the same hdd?
    I have some questions for you:
    • Are/were the source and destination paths in the same partition?
    • Do you have a RAID or JBOD setup where the same volume can "be in" more than one physical drive?
    • Do your torrents have many (more than a thousand) files?

Because if the answer to all three is "no", this is a surprising fix... in all modern file systems, moving a file within the same volume is equivalent to renaming it, an inexpensive operation that doesn't move the actual data anywhere.

Also, little addendum to post #8: this happened to me when doing video encoding and heavy downloading at the same time. To top it off, uTorrent didn't display the "flushing to disk" status as it does now, so at first glance torrents would appear to have dropped dead at 99.9%.

Also², uTorrent's disk cache uses unbuffered I/O, so that it doesn't overlap with Windows'. This behavior was initially toggleable, but is now mandatory. I wish other clients would follow suit.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12