Thread: Windows 8 – The Developer Preview

P2P Client
    Vuze Extreme Mod
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss171
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
    Or maybe not... I have a week since I started using it and it's not really such a big deal... I haven't noticed any big differences between it and win7 taking into account performance or speed.
    I used it for a month and switched back to Win7. Like you said, I did not find much difference. And I am not too much into that tabbed interface. The only time I would see that, is when I had to run some apps, and the moment the app opened, I would be back to desktop. I do not mind using the start tab of Win 7 and am much comfortable with it.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianBosworth View Post
    There may be a workaround for this issue.
    You're my hero. Worked perfectly.

My greatest sorrow is now font smoothing in some parts of the interface. Even with ClearType disabled, all of IE10 and many parts of the OS are still displayed in a smooth, blurry font. Apparently it's DirectWrite-based, and can't be easily turned off. I tried all registry tweaks related to "UI" fonts, smoothing, to no avail. There's a DWrite wrapper, but doesn't work under 8 under any circumstances. Attempting to use it for the entire OS by renaming the original DLL and editing the wrapper will result in a black screen of death.

I'm trying Windows 7 Style Builder to see if I can manage to do something....
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

BrianBosworth (30.12.12)

P2P Client
    Bangladesh Extreme Mod
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss196
    This seems to be a common problem with Windows 8 laptop/netbook users. Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration (in IE10) and enabling desktop mode? Also try changing the custom text DPI setting. Supposedly the default setting for Windows 8 is 125% . Try it at 100%. If it was already at 100, try a different setting. For many users this made things much better but still not perfect.
    Last edited by BrianBosworth; 30.12.12 at 16:42. Reason: Additional info added
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

anon (30.12.12)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Just finished trying all of those, to no avail. I also discovered that the Intel program to make Fn keys work does nothing under 8, and compatibility mode won't fix that. If editing the styles file would have achieved something, I will never know because the amount of font-related entries to change is huge and I don't want to spend a lot of time editing them one by one only to find out that wasn't the solution.

I'll be restoring my Windows 7 image a few minutes after submitting this post. Too many workarounds and rough edges for my taste, which is a shame, as I'd really like to keep 8 for its non-broken features. Perhaps in time these problems will be fixed (I doubt everyone else likes their fonts oversmoothed and blurry).

Thanks for your help, it will not be forgotten.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

BrianBosworth (31.12.12)

I had also problem running old net framework .exe, like fifa 13 config file. They just not run, and I found no way to remove completly Metro, in fact for some configuration of the PC you still need to join this interface.

Back to Win7 done.

Bye.
    Thanks

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234