Poll: Which AntiVirus is best?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Which AntiVirus is best?

What about ClamAV? Any opinions on that?
    If I'm not mistaken it is open source.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I use ClamAV. I first used it a couple of years ago and did not think very well of it at the time; however, from the information that I was reading some months ago when I first installed it, it is very much up to date on it's AV definition files and comes neck and neck with some of the other AV big boys out there on the market. Compared with some other scanners out there, it does a good job of what it is intended to do. It does NOT do an excellent job but hey,...it does the job it is made to do. Though I have also heard that it has poor detection but take such information (and other information in relation to this) with a grain of salt.

It is definitly lightweight, does not take up that much resources on my laptop. At most it takes up maybe 15000 to 24000K. The only problem that I've ever encountered with this software is when the definitions wouldn't update. I had to delete the log files thereafter and renew the updates but that was a minor inconvenience at most. You have to manually update the definitions yourself but IMO, that again is a minor inconvenience.

What I do like about ClamAV is that it is definitely NOT bloatware. You've come across bloatware in some of the other AV softwares?? I am sure you have. This software has no bloatware and this would contribute to it's low resource usage. For me, this is a plus. I prefer my resources usage to be elsewhere where and when it's needed.

Also, don't forget ClamAV also has portable version that you can use on your thumb-drive when your at a hotel or some other place.

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    .... nor do I even use Windows Explorer as a file manager.
    Good job. Neither do I. What with Window Explorer being limited in it's functionality. So many explorer softwares out there on the market. Good free ones too.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Renk (05.08.12)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678