+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving a manual car

Driving a manual car

Hi, sorry for being late, I promised this last week but I got busy (again),

Here I will make a summery of what I've learned, I request feedback, thoughts..etc until I finish learning.

Starting the Car
    - On a normal street
    1. Push the clutch and break to the max
    2. Turn on the car via the switcher
    3. Put the gear on Neutral (it should be on 1st from last turn off)
    4. Move the hand break down
    5. Put the gear on 1st
    6. Remove leg from the break
    7. Remove leg from clutch slowly
    8. The car moves forward

-On a hill
    5. Put the gear on 1st
    7. Remove leg from clutch slowly until you reach the friction point (the car will start to shake)
    8. Immediatly remove leg from break and push on Gas (a small amount) and lift your leg a bit from the clutch
    9. The car begins to move forward, apply more gas until you reach the top
    10. Push the clutch again and switch to 2nd
    11. You are on a main street now

-On a down hill
    5. Put the gear on 1st
    7. Remove leg from clutch half lift
    8. You are moving now, apply little breaks until you are on "normal" street.

Stopping the car
    1. If you are on 3rd then down shift to the first by doing this:
      (use the breaks (small amount) and keep your leg on them, push the clutch to max, down shift to 2nd, lift your leg from the clutch (half lift), (remember: you are still breaking), push the clutch to max again, down shift to 1st and keep your leg on the clutch, apply more break until the car fully stops)
    2. Move the break up
    3. Put the gear on Neutral
    4. Switch off the car
    5. Put the gear back on 1st
    6. Remove leg from break and clutch

Special Notes:
    1. Never remove your leg from the clutch on 1st
    2. If you are coming to a complete stop the push the clutch to max so the car won't stop (this applies at any gear)
    3. Push gently on gas,break and move the steering gently
    4. Never move the HB up OR push the break to max unless it's necessary (a kid appeared in front of you for example)
    5. After shifting gears, remove your leg half up the slowly continue until the clutch pedal is fully up.
    6. Don't use the switch for too long or you'll screw it up
    7. It's recommened to shift gears up after (2.5*1000 rpms OR 3.5*1000 rpms on hills)
    8. Everyone else is stupid, deal with driving like you deal with idiots and you should never crash.(Means, drive slowly and carefully and watch out for noobs).

Gears notes:
    1. 1st is for starting/going up extreme hills/stopping(complete stops)
    2. 2nd is for going into a circle, going left/right, hills(unless it's extreme, use 1st), intersections.
    3. 3rd is for cities
    4. 4th is for high speed empty streets
    5. 5th is for ???

I plan to add more, after I learn new things, until then please share your thoughts, ideas, corrections

PS. last lesson I hit 90km/h on high way, It feels different to be the driver
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (30.07.11) , yoco (29.07.11)

???

You don't know how drive ???

???
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neo26 View Post
    ???

You don't know how drive ???

???
    I'm still learning, did you think I'm 20+ years old ? I've just hit 18.
    Thanks

Why would you move the gear from 1st to neutral and then back to first? Doesn't make much sense to me...
    You don't need to put your gearbox into neutral to push the handbrake down... Same goes for stopping the car. It's unnecessary and I can't figure out why you're doing that.

Besides, pushing the clutch down is the same as being in neutral.

Also, after removing your foot from the brake, gently push down the accelerator as well rather than just slowly remove your foot from the clutch (at the same time)

I also wouldn't treat gears the way you're doing (aka 1st gear is for X). Just try to stick to the other note you made about the rpm. Then you'll always be in the correct gear. If your rpm is starting to be too low, shift a gear down and reapply the rule.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 29.07.11 at 22:07.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (29.07.11)

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Why would you move the gear from 1st to neutral and then back to first? Doesn't make much sense to me...
    Hmm, that's what the instructor said to me.
    I thought it didn't make any sense but I decided to write it anyway to hear what others would say.
    Perhaps, It has something to do with the hand break, like it doesn't get up or down unless the gear is on neutral or no (the HB can moved anytime at any gear?)

EDIT:
    Ok

Also, after removing your foot from the brake, gently push down the accelerator as well rather than just slowly remove your foot from the clutch (at the same time)
    Yes, I forgot to add (at the same time to it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    8.Immediatly remove leg from break and push on Gas (a small amount) and lift your leg a bit from the clutch(at the same time)
    It's right now.
    Last edited by cheatos; 29.07.11 at 22:10.
    Thanks

seems like i was editing my post while you were replying (not very smart of me )
    Anyway, i find it weird that the instructor said this. Perhaps it's a precaution when you accidentally let go of the pedals before fully turning the car off as then it will shoot out forward. As long as you don't do this, just pushing down the clutch is enough.

Anyway, the handbrake can be used at any time. I've used my handbrake when i've been driving in heavy snow to make the car slip around a sharp corner. I might add that you shouldn't do things like that and that it's dangerous When i tried it, there was nothing or no one around to hit. But still, don't do it Long story short, handbrake works whenever you pull it or push it down. Gears don't matter (unless it's a special car i dont know of).
    Last edited by Sazzy; 29.07.11 at 22:11.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (29.07.11)

Quote Originally Posted by cheatos View Post
    It's right now.
    You only put it when starting on a hill, though. I personally do that as well on a normal street, as not every car will start from being to a dead stop without pushing down the gas.
    Thanks

You only put it when starting on a hill, though. I personally do that as well on a normal street, as not every car will start from being to a dead stop without pushing down the gas.
    You mean you do that 'friction point' thing everytime you come to a complete stop ?
    Oh so that's why the instructor made me do the 'hill start' after stopping on a red light.(stopped in the red light by shifting down to 1st and keep legs on clutch and breaks).

edit:

Anyway, the handbrake can be used at any time. I've used my handbrake when i've been driving in heavy snow to make the car slip around a sharp corner. I might add that you shouldn't do things like that and that it's dangerous When i tried it, there was nothing or no one around to hit. But still, don't do it Long story short, handbrake works whenever you pull it or push it down. Gears don't matter (unless it's a special car i dont know of).
    I won't do that, ever.
    Last edited by cheatos; 29.07.11 at 22:20.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    I honestly did not read the whole list but I wish you good luck! Driving a car is just amazing!

[/LIST]

Gears notes:
    2. 2nd is for going into a circle, going left/right, hills(unless it's extreme, use 1st), intersections.
    3. 3rd is for cities
    4. 4th is for high speed empty streets
      [*]5th is for ???
    And I just wanna tell you one thing. If you're not moving and obviously you have in 1st gear and your leg starting to hurt since it's holding the clutch for a long time, just shift to neutral and remove you leg from clutch. That's what I do every time! (if this was already said I apologize)
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (29.07.11)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    You don't need to put your gearbox into neutral to push the handbrake down... Same goes for stopping the car. It's unnecessary and I can't figure out why you're doing that.

1st to neutral then back to first = in this case i'd assume the car has been parked and he's starting it - parking a car in gear prevents it rolling away if the handbreak gives, and also lessens the chance of it flying into peds/cars if someone hits it at speed when it's parked (extra resistance basically).

putting the clutch down is not the same as being in neutral. it's still in gear, therefore it's not in neutral - if the clutch is raised, it will accelerate.

ok, ok, i do know what you mean, sazzy; but you have to remember that he's learning to drive. he needs to do things by the book until he passes his test...

@cheatos

after you pass your test, then you really learn to drive :) (anyone who drives will agree )

oh, and your gears notes are pretty meaningless - i'm a bit wasted at the moment so i wont go into detail - not to rubbish you or your instructor, but nobody thinks of gears in those terms (nobody i've ever encountered or heard of anyhow). that comment of mine is a bit general though, so i'll post what i really mean sometime over this weekend - no time at the moment mate

unless someone else wants to help the man first!
    Last edited by takomania; 29.07.11 at 23:54.
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (30.07.11)

Quote Originally Posted by takomania View Post
    @cheatos

oh, and your gears notes are pretty meaningless - i'm a bit wasted at the moment so i wont go into detail - not to rubbish you or your instructor, but nobody thinks of gears in those terms (nobody i've ever encountered or heard of anyhow). that comment of mine is a bit general though, so i'll post what i really mean sometime over this weekend - no time at the moment mate
    Take your time in replying, no need to rush, it's not like my final test is tomorrow :) .
    Till you get the time, I'll reply to your post.

What I meant by my 'gear notes':
    You don't start the car with gear 2, that's why gear 1 got "starting".
    You don't (not safe) turn the car left/right with gear higher than 3.
    You don't drive on the highways with gear 2, that's why gear 4 got "high speed empty streets".
    You don't drive in the city at high speeds, that's why you use a lower-speed gear like 3.

Perhaps a more accurate description of
    gear 3 is: "the middle gear, because after it is high speeds and before it slow speeds"
    gear 2 is: "the acceleration gear"
    gear 4 is: "the economic gear"

The instructor said the above descriptions, but that's useless in driving so I mentioned their "typical" usage.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by takomania View Post
    1st to neutral then back to first = in this case i'd assume the car has been parked and he's starting it - parking a car in gear prevents it rolling away if the handbreak gives, and also lessens the chance of it flying into peds/cars if someone hits it at speed when it's parked (extra resistance basically).

putting the clutch down is not the same as being in neutral. it's still in gear, therefore it's not in neutral - if the clutch is raised, it will accelerate.

ok, ok, i do know what you mean, sazzy; but you have to remember that he's learning to drive. he needs to do things by the book until he passes his test...
    I never learned it that way and I passed just fine. It's almost the same as being in neutral though. Besides, newer cars won't even start if you don't push the clutch down. I see the point you're making (i figured it was that as well a bit higher), but there really is no point to it, is there? (i mean, if you keep your clutch down while you start, and don't just suddenly release it). When I start my car, I keep my foot on both brake and clutch, pushing them both down. The car remains in first gear at all time. I then release the brake, gently push in the gas while at the same time slowly releasing the clutch and drive off. I find this far more efficient and that's also the way both my parents as my instructor have thought me.

Anyway, like tako said, do things like they tell you to until you actually pass. If the instructor says to do it that way, just do it. Just remember it for later when you have your license and want to learn how to drive properly (not dishing anyone, just saying, I don't think anyone with a few years experience shifts to neutral rather than just push the clutch down).

For your gear notes, this is the way I was learned:
    gear 1: 0-20 km/h
    gear 2: 20-40 km/h
    gear 3: 40-60 km/h
    gear 4: 60-80/90 km/h
    gear 5: 90 or faster.
    This more or less also scales with the rpm note you made (2.5 x 1000 at most)
    Though as you learn, you'll stop thinking about gears. An experienced driver learns to listen to the sound the engine makes and knows when it's time to shift a gear up or down. Soon, you will learn this as well
    Last edited by Sazzy; 30.07.11 at 01:10.
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (01.08.11)

For the gear you should look at rPM not at speed. And the speed is different at every car you drive.

IMHO a forum is not the best way for learn better how to drive a car.

PS: I started to try drive at 12 years old... at 14 years old I learned to drive almost all veicles. Of course I didn't it in public road... but if we want to tell the whole truth came out on the road for short distances even before you 18 years

Sorry for bad english.

Bye.
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (01.08.11)

For the gear you should look at rPM not at speed. And the speed is different at every car you drive.
    rpm is directly linked to speed. Unless you're driving a Ferrari, the speeds i wrote down are pretty much linked to the rpm values you should shift gears on. Since diesel and benzine cars run on different rpm's, it's easier for him to understand this way. I already explained that when he gets more experience, he'll stop paying attention to both speed and rpm anyway and shift gears merely by sound.

IMHO a forum is not the best way for learn better how to drive a car.
    He's not learning to drive here, he's just asking for extra hints and tips and imho, showing that kind of determination is the way to go.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 30.07.11 at 12:00.
    Thanks

22. Who Said Thanks:

piratemeister (30.07.11)

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    Gears notes:

I plan to add more, after I learn new things, until then please share your thoughts, ideas, corrections

PS. last lesson I hit 90km/h on high way, It feels different to be the driver
    You can use 2 or 3 while driving up a hill. To do so, one must have enough speed and if the hill is long, you'll eventually need to gear down (2). Most of the time you don't need to use 1st. I would say using 2nd coupled with a bit more speed before the hill, is alright for you

Gears notes:
    1. 3rd is for cities
    2. 4th is for high speed empty streets
    3. 5th is for ???
    3rd is when you can drive 35-40 km/h and over.
    4th is when you can drive 60 km/h and over.
    5th is when you can drive 80 km/h and over.

No gear for number six?
    Thanks

24. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (01.08.11)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast