+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My sister's laptop

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    As for gaming, generally that's a no-no on laptops, and you should definitely forget about it if the graphics card is actually an integrated chipset. Gaming-capable laptops (called "desktop replacements") do exist, though, but I don't know if your sister's is one. My advice would be to google the model name and see what people have to say about it.
    While the thread has progressed quite a bit, I did feel the need to write about this.
    Anon, don't talk shit, boy. While it is true that the mobility graphics cards that ati produces for laptops aren't as good as the desktop variants (only natural because power consumption, size, heat, etc becomes more important on a laptop), it's far from true that gaming is a no-no on a laptop. It's 2010 now and not 1999. I'm also quite confident that integrated chipsets these days are almost only found on netbooks, which aren't notebooks... And we are talking about notebooks here after all. No one in their right mind would try to game on a netbook, imho.

Myself and quite some friends have recently replaced our desktops by notebooks because mobility became more and more important. I do enjoy the occasional game, like my friends do as well. While a laptop with the same brute power as a high end desktop will cost you quite a bit of cash, that does not mean you can't game on a mid-range one.

I have bought a mid-range laptop (under 1000 euro) myself and I can assure you that my brother could even play Starcraft II on it on max settings. (I reference to this one as it was the last game i can remember that has graphics that good and has been on my laptop). While I haven't tried NFS Shift, I have tried NFS HP and that too works like a charm on max settings.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 15.05.11 at 01:07.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Anon, don't talk shit, boy. While it is true that the mobility graphics cards that ati produces for laptops aren't as good as the desktop variants (only natural because power consumption, size, heat, etc becomes more important on a laptop), it's far from true that gaming is a no-no on a laptop. It's 2010 now and not 1999. I'm also quite confident that integrated chipsets these days are almost only found on netbooks, which aren't notebooks... And we are talking about notebooks here after all. No one in their right mind would try to game on a netbook, imho.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss230
    I don't have any idea for your issues.

But as for overclocking, I wouldn't do it with laptops,
    especially since laptops are allergic to heat.
    Unlike desktops, you can't have fancy cooling solutions in laptops.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss75
    is good to remember that if u are using 32b system u are already loosing 500MB RAM because 32b systems can only handle around 3.5G even less... to be more exact 3.25G
    and if u are using x64 system.. yeah is heavier than 32b
    i'm talking this because i did not see anything asking ^^
    and is good to know... many ppl forget or don't even know that 32b only accept certain amount of RAM

i have mine x64 running with around 625MB
    just follow anon's tip about black viper and u can gain a lot

for the card u can see the specs with GPUZ TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.5.3

also for system specs u can try CPU-Z CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

is very important to know your system before make any overclock so i just thought that was interesting if u wanna know your system in simple way without install everest or something like that
    u can find some useful info with those programs without install anything(they run without install)

another important thing is always... ALWAYS download the last drivers for your GPU for optimize their use
    and probably if u not install anything there is a good chance that comes without a proper graphic driver i just something U have to do and the store most of the times give u just the basics....

hope it helps and congrats HP is a good lap
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (15.05.11)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    One more thing. I was playing Dragon Age last night for about an hour. While playing I had the AC Adapter pluged in so that the laptop wouldn't run on battery. Anyway, when I stopped playing the adapter was like super hot. I really burned my skin a bit. Is that suppose to be normal?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    vuze extreme mod
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss15
    Burned your skin Oo ? well it's supposed to be hot. if it stop working just buy a new one. just make sure it's not near nitroglycerin.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    Well I didn't burn instantly, but if you'd hold for more than 10s you can easily burn yourself!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss75
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    One more thing. I was playing Dragon Age last night for about an hour. While playing I had the AC Adapter pluged in so that the laptop wouldn't run on battery. Anyway, when I stopped playing the adapter was like super hot. I really burned my skin a bit. Is that suppose to be normal?
    i guess is not supposed to be SO SUPER hot
    pay attention on that because bad energy can cause problems to all your system and maybe damage some hardware
    i recommend u to call to store just to check or go to there and tell them the problem while u have warranty

hot is normal but NOT THAT HOT

i edited to say... don't worry if u installed some other software at least in my country the warranty is still valid because we all know that software can't cause the hardware to die or burn, well BSOD is a windows system native and don't count...LOL just kidding
    so i guess this extends for all countries since there is no reason to blame u for install a game or a driver except if u install some overclock program of course but that's another case
    Last edited by Renji-Kun; 15.05.11 at 14:35.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    As it's been said above, high temperature is normal.

On a sidenote: remember to remove the battery if you've plugged the laptop to a power socket. Modern operating systems will automatically switch to AC power only so you won't see a "100% charged -> 99% -> charging... -> 100% -> 99%..." loop, but I'd still recommend to do so.

Well I didn't burn instantly, but if you'd hold for more than 10s you can easily burn yourself!
    I'm not sure you're supposed to put your finger on an AC adapter for more than ten seconds.
    Thanks

Probably not, however, I'm surprised at how hot it is running. Mine's hot too, but it's still at the point i can hold it against my face for quite a while.
    Maybe something to google to see if it's a common problem or just normal?
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    As it's been said above, high temperature is normal.

On a sidenote: remember to remove the battery if you've plugged the laptop to a power socket. Modern operating systems will automatically switch to AC power only so you won't see a "100% charged -> 99% -> charging... -> 100% -> 99%..." loop, but I'd still recommend to do so.
    Didn't know that. Gonna try it probably tomorrow!

I'm not sure you're supposed to put your finger on an AC adapter for more than ten seconds.
    Why not? It can't electrocute me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Probably not, however, I'm surprised at how hot it is running. Mine's hot too, but it's still at the point i can hold it against my face for quite a while.
    Maybe something to google to see if it's a common problem or just normal?
    Gonna see if it happens always, then I'm gonna google a bit!

Would you guys say hibernation is better on or off?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Depends on if you use it or not. If you don't it's just a waste of disk space.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (16.05.11)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss75
    very good note i forget abt that

well i have a sony vaio and AC Adapter not get heat that high to burn skin but it's hot
    my hibernation is off but is something like anon's said if u gonna use, keep it
    in my case most of the times that i turn on that never get a change to hibernate because i use a lot so i turn off to save space
    Last edited by Renji-Kun; 16.05.11 at 00:50.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (16.05.11)

I haven't shut down my laptop in 2 years. I always hibernate or reboot if I really have to. Not a single issue so far, the quick start up is completely worth it...
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    If I leave hibernation on, and if I want something to do that takes a lot of time, leave it over night, will it be doing it?
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast