+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The software world

The software world

I'm tired.I'm confused.I'm finished.
    I have a disease.
    Always looking for the bleeding edge,always downloading daily builds, testing stuff to no end. I've tested so much unneeded shit I can't even remember.
    From Plan9 to Haiku Os,from FreeBSD to Gentoo and all kinds of other linux distributions, from Menuet OS,Kolibri,Android-x86 to chromium os builds by Hexxeh and lets not remember my failed mac attempts,so many wasted DVDs...I'm through.
    I am the architect of my own depression.Things not working/booting,forever subscribing to develop mailing lists,dependency hell,endless formats and configs.
    Did it make me a better person? No. Did it help me in real life? No. Did it make me feel more secure? To be honest I was feeling more secure when I didn't know what viruses were and had a computer bloated with pron.

I will be waiting for this month's BIE release,install that and never do something about my computer unless it really bothers me.

I'll even give coding a second thought.I don't want to study hard for like 5 years and then spend the rest of my life in a chair like I'm doing now.I think I will go for something like psychology or philosophy.I still have some time to think even though most people my age have already decided what they will do with their lives.

Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Quote Originally Posted by SBfreak View Post
    Always looking for the bleeding edge,always downloading daily builds, testing stuff to no end. I've tested so much unneeded shit I can't even remember.
    From Plan9 to Haiku Os,from FreeBSD to Gentoo and all kinds of other linux distributions, from Menuet OS,Kolibri,Android-x86 to chromium os builds by Hexxeh and lets not remember my failed mac attempts,so many wasted DVDs...I'm through.
    I am the architect of my own depression.Things not working/booting,forever subscribing to develop mailing lists,dependency hell,endless formats and configs.
    Did it make me a better person? No. Did it help me in real life? No. Did it make me feel more secure?
    After undergoing all that you've learned why Linux's market share is still not that great. And there's no useless knowledge.

As for switching careers, if you really no longer like your current one, have thought this over, and think the mentioned alternatives would be better, then by all means go for it.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    There is a balance for everything, you just have to slow down a bit and think about what you are looking for in that mess.
    About your career choice, think about it thoroughly, as it is, as you said, what you'll probably do for the rest of your life. Nevertheless remember that every decision comes with a consequence, and that sometimes you win, sometimes you lose; so it is always about making a compromise: what you want vs. what you can get with the effort you want to put in your quest.
    Take me for instance, I tried hard to get into the advertisement and product development world, and failed. Now I work as a QA for some shitty website. I hate it, but I get paid fairly well and treated more than decently at my job, and it has let me grow personally. I am slowly but steadily improving my life, as I come from a poor home and hardly ever had more than my basic needs covered (can't complaint either). In a perfect world I wouldn't be posting in a P2P forum but let's be honest, we are all having fun here; because we, humans, need a certain amount of conflict to feel alive. Life is all about "getting there"
    Hope it helps!
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

cheatos (13.05.11) , SBfreak (13.05.11)

And there's no useless knowledge.
    Wanna bet ?

Also this is not my personal drama thread though I may have exaggerated a bit.That's why I put it into the software section
    I know it's not just me.Everyone hates the "software world" from time to time,the way things work or not work.For example: anon vs Opera.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    I know it's not just me.Everyone hates the "software world" from time to time,the way things work or not work.For example: anon vs Opera.
    That's not a "the way things work or don't work" issue. Opera directly doesn't work. I managed to live without the Popup Statusbar extension, so I should be going back to 10.63 soon.
    Thanks

Have you tried Opera web browser | Opera 11.50 alpha ?
    Fill a bug,get on irc,go to the forums ?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Yes. Same crash-prone program, different version number.

Fill a bug,get on irc,go to the forums ?
    I've reported issues via the browser's built-in feature many times. I went to the forums, too - didn't post, but there are many other people having the same problem as me on 11.xx and the developers don't seem to care.
    Thanks

'Sup

I will be waiting for this month's BIE release,install that and never do something about my computer unless it really bothers me.
    Good to hear, now I think you know why I love Microsoft ,
    now forget about everything shitty (linux) and start cool.
    No more terminals, kernel panics, sudo shit-does-not-work_142.42.43-1.

To be honest I was feeling more secure when I didn't know what viruses were and had a computer bloated with pron.
    Same, I miss the old days when I used to buy 1$ games, install them, and when they don't work, I go to shop again, bitch about the game not working and replace it with another one...

I'll even give coding a second thought.I don't want to study hard for like 5 years and then spend the rest of my life in a chair like I'm doing now.I think I will go for something like psychology or philosophy.I still have some time to
    Same, when I go to univeristy, I'll pick something that isn't computer related
    I'd love to be a linguist, but because that doesn't bring money and loving a subject isn't everything and isn't enough, I'll forget about it.
    Currently, I'm lost between Engineering and some Medical or Lab things and probably other things I haven't discovered yet.

think even though most people my age have already decided what they will do with their lives.
    I didn't decide what to do myself yet, so don't worry, you're not alone.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Quote Originally Posted by cheatos View Post
    Same, I miss the old days when I used to buy 1$ games, install them, and when they don't work, I go to shop again, bitch about the game not working and replace it with another one...
    I used to do that, but with a slight variation: the games actually worked and I'd make a "backup" before returning them to the store.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I used to do that, but with a slight variation: the games actually worked and I'd make a "backup" before returning them to the store.
    Heh, at that time, I didn't have a CD burner and didn't know that I could copy the cd to the hard disk.
    "Discovering" that I can copy the CD's content without a CD-Burner was an achievement for me
    Thanks

Good to hear, now I think you know why I love Microsoft
    We've had a difficult relationship but in the end it seems it worked out.

Same, when I go to univeristy, I'll pick something that isn't computer related
    Mihai thinks I'm mad
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss230
    Software development is indeed tiring.
    I've been burned out for more than I can remember. >_<

I haven't been fully involved with Linux development, so I can't relate with you,
    even though I've developed applicaitons for Linux environments.

I always find myself more at home with Windows, even if our target OS is Linux.
    There are more apps/tools are available for windows, and are much easier to use.

However, the software development world is so vast, you have plenty of choices.
    Lately I've been dreading coding, and I've been lucky to be assigned to the Oracle Siebel capability.
    In Siebel, what you do is mostly configuration of the tool, instead of coding.
    (even scripting is discouraged by Siebel, although allowed)
    Unfortunately though, there's not a lot of Siebel jobs around [ but Accenture has them. :) ].

:: I used to be mostly a Java developer, with a little of .NET.
    Last edited by SaintShaolin; 15.05.11 at 02:18.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    Feeling fed up? Need someone to talk to?
    Thanks

Yes!! Reviving old thread makes me feel better and more evil
    Thank you for your concern Gapo but right now I'm fine . No more emo software SBf.
    Also second post.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    That's great to hear! Strong person we got here Keep thinking positive!

If you at any point need help, just say so
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

SBfreak (27.08.11)

+ Reply to Thread