Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do something useful? [Y/n] _

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39484

Do something useful? [Y/n] _

Hey there,

I have to give a lecture next Friday, to develop my discursive skills or something similar. Topic can be anything. I've chosen to explain how the Internet works and I do know about it, but I'd like you to list the important parts just to make sure I haven't missed anything. No explanations, just a list of terms that are related to it. For example: IPv4, IPv6, MAC addresses, Ethernet, NAT, routers, gateways, etc.

Thank you!
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet
    Cheers!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39484
    Cool, now I only need to install the Highlight All Internet-Related Items In Page 1.0 extension for my browser...
    Thanks

Retired Staff
    P2P Client
    (keinen)
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2177
    You should also present the 7(8) layers of the communication:
    OSI model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And especially Layer 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (Be serious while telling this)

Also good is TCP/IP model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

best regards
    v6ph1
    Multibootsysteme einrichten
    Apple: Da ist der Wurm drin.
    Der Klügere gibt nach. Deshalb wird die Welt auch von Dummen regiert.
    Das Volumen einer Pizza mit Radius z und Höhe a ist gleich Pi·z·z·a
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

anon (04.05.11)

P2P Client
    WaffleCheat v1.95 build 19928
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1509
    If you are presenting this to your English colleagues I guess most of them are pretty noobs so try to present it the easiest way possible. Maybe even present only a few of those terms. I'm sure most of them will get bored when you just started talking about it for 2 minutes.No offence but it's just not material you can present to anyone.

Oh and since you are doing this to develope you discursive skills you could just omit some complicated terms. It's not like somebody could notice and even if he/she does, so what? That's not the point of the presentation.
    Last edited by Mihai; 04.05.11 at 22:08.
    What does a scene tracker tell to a general tracker?
    You're so 5 minutes ago...

Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

anon (04.05.11) , Instab (04.05.11)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39484
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
    If you are presenting this to your English colleagues I guess most of them are pretty noobs so try to present it the easiest way possible. Maybe even present only a few of those terms. I'm sure most of them will get bored when you just started talking about it for 2 minutes.No offence but it's just not material you can present to anyone.
    Sadly, that's true. I enjoy it a lot but it doesn't mean others will do. And I don't want the class to fall sleep on me. Bin Laden's supposed death hooked them up for over an hour today, though - it's all about what you've got.

Oh and since you are doing this to develope you discursive skills you could just omit some complicated terms. It's not like somebody could notice and even if he/she does, so what? That's not the point of the presentation.
    Very true. I wasn't planning to do an ultra-detailed explanation, anyway. Just a bit above "Internet for dummies".

Who Said Thanks: (Remove All)
    Instab (Today [Remove])
    Don't be shy, you.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss329
    I enjoy it a lot but it doesn't mean others will do. And I don't want the class to fall sleep on me.
    Very good point! The majority probably would be interested in general easy to understand presentation. So, I would try not to impress them with the knowledge and technical details, but to provide with something useful tips. "Safe HEX" aka basics of secure internet behavior - e-mail attachments, clicking on every link or banner, etc.
    A lot of users are having trouble to understand let's what are and how different are IP and MAC address. If you tell them let's say that IP is like your home address where you can be reached, and that you can change (move, etc.), but MAC address is your passport that uniquely identifies you - they will understand and remember that. (Another explanation - IP is your phone number (how one can reach you, and it is changeable, but MAC address - is your voice).
    Good luck with your presentation!
    Last edited by seldom; 05.05.11 at 00:45.
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

anon (05.05.11)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39484
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    A lot of users are having trouble to understand let's what are and how different are IP and MAC address. If you tell them let's say that IP is like your home address where you can be reached, and that you can change (move, etc.), but MAC address is your passport that uniquely identifies you - they will understand and remember that. (Another explanation - IP is your phone number (how one can reach you, and it is changeable, but MAC address - is your voice).
    Wouldn't your voice be the payload of IP packets? Since it's what you want to transmit to the remote host.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss329
    Wouldn't your voice be the payload of IP packets? Since it's what you want to transmit to the remote host.
    Sorry for the confusion! What I was trying to say is how to explain technical terms through analogies. In late 80s when first PCs became available there was a presentation about personal computers provided at one of universities to staff. One professor said: "I just can NOT understand how PC is able to multiply 4 by 4!"
    I do not know the level of your audience, but do have a feeling that "packets" might be beyond their expectation and, sadly, understanding.
    What I meant was real phone and real voice :)
    However, I may be mistaken and underestimate the technical level of your listeners...
    Anyways, it is probably a good idea to be ready for different technical level of presentation depending on listeners needs. Watch listeners, try to catch if they are with you during your speech.
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

anon (05.05.11)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39484
    Sorry for the confusion! What I was trying to say is how to explain technical terms through analogies. In late 80s when first PCs became available there was a presentation about personal computers provided at one of universities to staff. One professor said: "I just can NOT understand how PC is able to multiply 4 by 4!"
    It sounds like a silly question but answering that actually involves pretty advanced knowledge. I think it involved operations on registers or something. Probably varies depending on the CPU's architecture.

I do not know the level of your audience, but do have a feeling that "packets" might be beyond their expectation and, sadly, understanding.
    What I meant was real phone and real voice :)
    Yeah, I may have to dumb that part down a bit. I looked in Google and some guy paralleled IPs home addresses and MACs to identity document numbers, do you think that would work? I'm a bit unsure, but on the other hand it doesn't have to be a 100% accurate depiction, just something to give an idea.

However, I may be mistaken and underestimate the technical level of your listeners...
    Anyways, it is probably a good idea to be ready for different technical level of presentation depending on listeners needs. Watch listeners, try to catch if they are with you during your speech.
    I'll keep that in mind. Note I have to print sheets containing the information I'm going to be teaching, I could use that to my advantage.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss75
    it's a good idea also try to say the importance of the internet in poor countries and all around the globe
    because that is a source of knowledge and i know that many people are learning with the grow of internet

so i guess everybody will enjoy hear about the benefits instead of complicated and technical stuff because it quickly can become a boring lecture
    u can start doing something technical which is important and end up talking about how internet help people and make all the connection between different nations something like that
    well is just my idea i hope it helps ^^

and of course good luck buddy
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

seldom (06.05.11) , anon (05.05.11)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss329
    It sounds like a silly question but answering that actually involves pretty advanced knowledge
    Absolutely! You definitely have enough knowledge, but don't assume that your listeners do))) The guy who asked about multiplication did not even know about binary system, so what he was looking for is about the idea in words that he could understand. For example - imagine the abakus that a machine (PC) can operate really fast - that is how PC does math)))
    I've heard that one of a job interview questions that Microsoft have in their list is 'How would you explain Excel spreadsheet to your grandma?'
    I looked in Google and some guy paralleled IPs home addresses and MACs to identity document numbers, do you think that would work?
    Why not? A very good description of the intend of both IP and MAC.
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

anon (05.05.11)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39484
    Quote Originally Posted by Renji-Kun View Post
    it's a good idea also try to say the importance of the internet in poor countries and all around the globe
    because that is a source of knowledge and i know that many people are learning with the grow of internet
    My country is one of those developing ones, so it's something we can relate to. I'll talk about that as well, thank you. It reminds me I once created another thread I can use to my advantage:
    http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...threadid=19622

Why not? A very good description of the intend of both IP and MAC.
    Just finished printing the reading material with that included

Let's see what happens tomorrow.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss329
    Let's see what happens tomorrow
    Good luck, amigo! Everything will be fine!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss75
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    My country is one of those developing ones, so it's something we can relate to. I'll talk about that as well, thank you. It reminds me I once created another thread I can use to my advantage:
    http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...threadid=19622
    you're welcome bro.. i thought u will understand clearly my point since we are neighbors
    i will never forget the first time i saw some people that never touch a pc and never had a chance to have one ask me... what is google that everybody says? i subscribe for voluntary to teach basic stuff in weekend on my country and i will never forget that...
    good luck man... and don't worry u gonna rock!!!
    PS. if u get nervous just rip off the clothes and dance for the ladies... always work well
    Last edited by Renji-Kun; 06.05.11 at 03:33.
    Thanks

22. Who Said Thanks:

seldom (06.05.11)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast