Mozilla shoots for June 21 release of Firefox 5

Mozilla shoots for June 21 release of Firefox 5
    New faster-paced development schedule mimics Chrome's
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mozilla-firefox-4.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	10468
    Computerworld - Mozilla has set an aggressive schedule for the next version of Firefox, slating the release of Firefox 5 for June 21.

If it meets that schedule, Mozilla could crank out Firefox 6 just two months later.

Mozilla has shifted to a faster-paced development cycle where it adds new features as it goes to a series of versions -- dubbed nightly, aurora, beta and Firefox -- each of which feeds into the next-most-stable build until a polished edition is released.

The change is a major shift for the open-source company, which has been locked into a much longer schedule. Firefox 4, for example, was in development for over a year, while Firefox 3.6 took about the same amount of time to finish.
    Google uses a similar process to continually feed features to Chrome, relying on a four-channel line of development: nightly, dev, beta and stable. The result is a new version of Chrome every six to eight weeks.

According to information posted on Mozilla's site, its new, faster development will match Google's.

Mozilla is currently planning a truncated schedule for Firefox 5, which should ship June 21. To meet that deadline, Firefox 5 has to hit the "aurora" channel April 12 and reach beta by May 17.

With Firefox 5 done, Mozilla will shift to a standard 18-week schedule that will put Firefox 6's release around mid-August.

To meet those dates, Mozilla will add features to Firefox as it goes. If a feature is not ready for the first of the four channels -- what the company calls "nightlies" as well as "Mozilla central" -- it will not be added later to the aurora or beta builds. Features with problems will be backed out of an edition -- say Firefox 5 -- and deferred until the next in line.

Google essentially does the same with Chrome.

Mozilla will apparently also stop shipping interim security updates as of Firefox 5, and instead patch vulnerabilities as fixes are crafted, with the final Firefox build given priority.

The only exception will be emergency security updates, which Mozilla calls "chemspills." Those will land simultaneously on all four channels, and result in an emergency update to the beta and release lines.

Ideally, Mozilla's new plan will update the beta channel every week, the nightly and aurora channels every day, and the Firefox build every six weeks.

Key to the new plan is a "silent update" mechanism in Firefox that automatically upgrades the browser to each new version as they're completed. Chrome is the only browser that now updates in the background without notifying the user or requiring any user action.

Mozilla has worked on silent updating on and off for months. Originally slated to ship with Firefox 4, the feature was pulled from that version last fall. It must now make it into Firefox 5 in order for the rapid roll-out of Firefox 6, 7 and beyond to work smoothly.

Since final Firefox releases will not be held for any single feature, it's impossible ahead of time to know what each version will contain. But Mozilla has posted a long wish list of enhancements and additions that range from a near-term identity manager to a long-range goal of bundling Flash with Firefox.

Al Hilwa, an analyst with IDC, has praised Mozilla's more frequent release plans for Firefox, which he saw as a reaction to Chrome's rapid schedule.

"Chrome's development model has been a successful experiment in terms of getting production releases with improvements and new features out quickly and much faster than in the past," Hilwa said last month. "I think this is causing waves in the industry, most specifically for direct competitors."
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28
    A great choice on their end. Why the hell should we be forced to wait months in order to get features which were already fully developed?
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7978
    I hope they fix this bug about slow connecting to some sites! It's really annoying!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    I hope they fix this bug about slow connecting to some sites! It's really annoying!
    Any specific websites you had in mind? As I think I've mentioned in another thread, I had no such issues to this time.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7978
    SB-I is often one of them. Many times it takes much longer to open as it should. There are some other sites as well.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    4/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    could you be more specific? is it a known bug? did you file a bug report or dös one exist already?
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

Its amazing how all the problems in the world converge on your Firefox
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

anon (14.04.11)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7978
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    could you be more specific? is it a known bug? did you file a bug report or does one exist already?
    Well sometimes when I open SB-I or some other site, it takes much longer than it should to actually open. And YouTube many times won't even start buffering video, so the only thing to do is to watch it in Opera. Since I never had any problem in previous version I'm guess it must be FF4 fault?!
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773
    Yes I also have the same problem like YoCo, it takes roughly 2 minutes to load SB-I page and sometimes it doesn't even open, I have to refresh again and again, the page to prioritize it.
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Thanks

Well sometimes when I open SB-I or some other site, it takes much longer than it should to actually open. And YouTube many times won't even start buffering video, so the only thing to do is to watch it in Opera. Since I never had any problem in previous version I'm guess it must be FF4 fault?!
    Quote Originally Posted by ParamouR View Post
    Yes I also have the same problem like YoCo, it takes roughly 2 minutes to load SB-I page and sometimes it doesn't even open, I have to refresh again and again, the page to prioritize it.

It also has a lot to do with the addons you install...Have you guys tried using the browser under Safe Mode?

In the help tab of FF,there's a "Restart with add-ons disabled" function...Try it once to see if it helps...
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7978
    And how many addons should one must have to get this effect?
    Thanks

And how many addons should one must have to get this effect?
    Technically even ONE untrusted addon can cause your FF to slow down.So basically your question doesn't have an right answer...Sorry...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28
    I have a bunch of different addons and pretty much every site loads instantly - it must be an issue on your end, not with Firefox in specific.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread