+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Write/Read speed of CDs

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulder View Post
    I used to burn my X360 games which require DLs before I got my JTAG one.
    I always used the highest available speed wherever I burnt them, being it my Notebook or my Desktop, with Verbatim blanks and I have never had any problems.
    hehe, the xbox360 came 10 years later. güss which drive has more tolerance ...
    Your account has been disabled.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss75
    and other thing i notice now looking at your screens
    the MANUFACTURER of your verbatin is CMC magnectics corp u see the label with a true verbatin but in fact is a CMC media
    some of the manufacturers make poor quality media

unfortunately i don't know any trusted site with cd brands and manufacturer i just know that one i told but is for DVD
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IlSoldato View Post
    Hi @all guys.
    I would put a question... the write speed (52x... 2x.... 4x.... 1x....) will influence the read speed or quality of CD ? Is real I should write lower the PSX games ?

Is possible know the write speed used for write a CD ?

PS: I use ImgBurn. Thanks
    I'm shocked speechless that you still CDs...Next thing you'll tell me you still use those Retro Rotary Dial Phones... :shock:
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    I'm shocked speechless that you still CDs...Next thing you'll tell me you still use those Retro Rotary Dial Phones... :shock:
    he wants to burn and use games for his PSX so he must use cds.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    he wants to burn and use games for his PSX so he must use cds.
    Yeah that's the thing...PSX is soooo old and hard to find...

The fact that he's still using it is crazy( and slightly cool )...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    and slightly cool )...
    hehe, it is. some trü classics are available for the PSX and if you wanna feel the original you gotta do it that way (can remember how i was totally hooked to Biohazard (Resident Evil))
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uTorrent, Transmission, Vuze Xtreme
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss22
    Yeh, Media could be the problem. I have 3 burners on my machine, all of varying ages: 1yr, 2yr and 5 years old. It took me awhile to find media compatible for all three: I mean I went through a lot of disks that became Frisbees. At one point I was so convinced that it was the actual burner itself, I returned one, bought another, returned, bought.... I got so frustrating because the media I burned would work on the computer optical drives and then--not work in my stand alone DVD players for TV or CD's for car audio. In other words, I'll bet it's the media.
    Thanks

Well, it checks if the burnt copy equals the image.
    And is needed do that ? Why the copy shouldn't be equal ?

feanime
    Thanks for the advice, I will try but I need to use virtual drive for mount images... there is a free software wich don't install this drive ? Virtual Clone CD don't support some img format.

He can use daemon tools but not with advanced emulation you can choose it at the installation.
    Difference ? What's the advanced emulation ? So I will reainstall daemon tools without that...

Maybe your PS1 isn't liking verbatims, this can happen, buy/try other brands (lower quality than verbatim or higher) (I use Imation for CDs).
    But why ? Are all CDs... and Verbatim is not bad, all use Verbatims.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze, uTorrent + Torrent Ratio Keeper
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss33
    Hi @all guys.
    I would put a question... the write speed (52x... 2x.... 4x.... 1x....) will influence the read speed or quality of CD ? Is real I should write lower the PSX games ?
    Check this article: Q. Why does the speed at which you burn a CD make a difference?
    When you burn at low speed quality is higher because dots/bumps position is more accurate. If your cd-rom is old, it can expect CD with factory quality (all bumps has their correct place), while high speed burning cannot reproduce.

Verbatim and TDK are the best CD-R(W) for old drives.
    Last edited by LuluShoutX; 31.03.11 at 06:40.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    3/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss4827
    And is needed do that ? Why the copy shouldn't be equal ?
    Because of errors while burning?

------------------------------>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<------------------------------

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    i haven't had to dig into my vault of ps1 'backup' knowledge for years, buuut...

best media for the original ps1 builds (fat greys) is either verbatim, taiyo yuden, tdk blacks or kodak golds (taiyo make the best discs on the planet - BAR NONE - depends on how much pride you have in your piracy)

burn slow. ps1, ps2 and psx lasers are awful - no exceptions on batches or builds. 4x used to be the standard. yeah, you can burn at max, but you're going to increase wear on your laser and potentially get bad results (more on this below...)

there seems to be conflicting views here on burn speeds and speeds affecting reading....
    burn slow for ps1 and ps2 cds. the quality of the burn IS affected. sure, a generic computer burner/reader wont have problems reading the discs, but your ps laser is nowhere near the same quality of even the crappiest drives desktop computer optical drives.

burning verification = close to pointless.
    if a laser is misaligned, it can burn fine. if you verify the burn in the same drive (i.e. using the same misaligned laser) it will be verified fine.
    take that disc to another machine/device with a less tolerant laser, you'll get skips and crc errors.
    if a laser burns badly - the same laser can read the bad burn perfectly, but others will not always be successful.
    think of it like handwriting. if you jot notes down in your illegible scrawl for yourself, it's fine, as it's only you who has to read it, but if you pass the notes to someone else, they're gonna have problems...

once again with speed - 8 speed burns are going to play fine. BUT, try a burn of that speed on an fmv heavy game. FFVIII springs to mind as one that caused headaches back in the day - the intro and all other cut scenes would skip like crazy (ruining the experience) but the gameplay would be fine.

fmv heavy = burn slow
    everything else = higher speed burns are fine

software - back in the day, discjuggler, imgburn and another one (the name escapes me) were the most used, just down to the image types which groups released.
    i always favoured imgburn, though a couple of scene releases specifically required discjuggler down to them using some software specific image encoding.

if you are having problems launching your burnt games, depending on what the games are, they may need to be patched. paradox released their ppf-o-matic tool during the height of the ps1 scene as protections were introduced. 90% of scene images which were released were untouched and needed to be patched. if you are being faced with black screens instead of load screens, you're gonna have to patch your images before burning.

argh - whilst i remember - on the subject of media once again - low speed media can be a pain in the ass to find nowadays (depending on where you are). make sure you're using it IN CONJUNCTION WITH A DRIVE THAT CAN WRITE AT LOW SPEEDS.

that's a biggie.

i really should be working at the moment, so i'll cut off here - if you have more questions, just pm and tell me to look at the thread - i'm so lax with stuff like that

oh - and for anyone who's interested...

Did you know: Slow write speeds + modern drives + modern media = no good - Club MyCE

food for the mind
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

Instab (31.03.11)

Now I tried to burn at max speed (AWS), and game had only 1 block (didn't start) and 1 "crash" (block during loading), all the other times worked ok... for now.

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

Now I've seen some other problem... more block, can't restart game from the menu, problem with audio... I've reburned the ISO and the verify say me a lot of error, is maybe the burner ?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    be careful with such articles. just because newer hardware can do it faster dösn't mean it is better. further most of those articles lack any kind of proof. in the end forget about all theory and try it out.
    old and crappy drives are excellent test subjects. a PSX for cd for example or early PS2 models for dvd are great. you can hear the laser working and the more it struggles the worse the disc is. it's just that easy. also as mentioned above fmv or loading times are good indicators, too.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    early PS2 models for dvd are great. you can hear the laser working and the more it struggles the worse the disc is.
    very true - some ps2 lasers sound like they're in agony when they read crappy backups :)
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123