+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 Hacks for Firefox That Will Double Your Internet Browsing Speed

3 Hacks for Firefox That Will Double Your Internet Browsing Speed

3 Hacks for Firefox That Will Double Your Internet Browsing Speed - Gnoted.com

-------------------

A lot of us have found the ’secrets’ on how to manipulate settings in “about:config” to drop the memory usage as long as possible and to increase the speed at which Firefox loads sites. Read on to find out how to do this.

Remember: Firefox (download it here) is the best internet browser available (in my opinion), and these tweaks below will make it even greater and faster. So enjoy!

Reduce the amount of RAM Firefox uses for it’s cache feature

Here’s how to do it:
    1. Type “about:config” (no quotes) in the adress bar in the browser.
    2. Find “browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewer”
    3. Set it’s value to “0“;(Zero)

Increase the Speed in Which Firefox loads pages

1. Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit Enter.
    (Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.)

2. Alter the entries as follows:
    Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
    Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
    Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 10.

This means it will make 10 requests at once.

3. Lastly, right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0“;.(Zero)

This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives. If you’re using a broadband connection you’ll load pages faster now.
    Optionally (for even faster web browsing) here are some more options for your about:config (you might have to create some of these entries by Right Click –> New– > Interger or String

network.dns.disableIPv6: set “false”
    “content.notify.backoffcount”: set “5“; (Five)
    “plugin.expose_full_path”: set “true”.
    “ui.submenuDelay”: set “0; (zero)

Reduce RAM usage to 10mb when Firefox is minimized:

This little hack will drop Firefox’s RAM usage down to 10 Mb when minimized:

1. Open Firefox and go to the Address Bar. Type in about:config and then press Enter.
    2. Right Click in the page and select New -> Boolean.
    3. In the box that pops up enter “config.trim_on_minimize”. Press Enter.
    4. Now select True and then press Enter.
    5. Restart Firefox.

These simple tweaks will make your web browsing with Mozilla Firefox 2-3 times faster and easier. And I think they are fairly easy to apply. Enjoy!
    -------

You know more than anything I just want Firefox to load faster than it does now.I use many extensions and it takes almost a minute for FF to start after I've clicked on it...
    Its so irritating and using speedyfox doesn't help either...

BTW about these trick,I can confirm they do show a noticeable difference when implemented.

And please none of those "Use Chrome" comments
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

system28 (03.04.11) , ErRor (01.04.11) , yoco (30.03.11) , Pliplo (30.03.11)

Activity Longevity
    4/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Set “network.http.pipelining” to “trü”
    Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “trü”
    Set “network.http.pipelining.maxreqüsts” to some number like 10.

This means it will make 10 reqüsts at once.
    that's not a good idea. every website with average security will limit the number of connections per user so except putting more stress on the webserver you even might end up in the list of possible dossers
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

ErRor (01.04.11) , isabella (30.03.11) , Pliplo (30.03.11)

P2P Client
    Utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss6
    tehres an addon where you can shift though different modes that changes these settings
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by reptar View Post
    tehres an addon where you can shift though different modes that changes these settings
    Nice of you to leave us guessing which one it is, eh.
    Now I'll just peruse half-way around the internet trying to figure out which one it might be.
    It'd a been nice of you to at least play charades leaving us guess which one it'd be.

Also, you know, Res. This is common behavior with FF in loading up so long when you've got a ga-zillion extensions installed. What I used to do in the past and continue to do currently is just basically take out what themes or extensions I just don't really have any use for. It's like adding mods to a game-it just takes longer.
    I also used to do the piplining-thing with FF, and speaking from my own experiences. That just didn't do it for me. I don't know why. It just didn't make that much of a difference that I felt was noticeable enough.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39444
    3. Lastly, right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0“;.(Zero)

This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives. If you’re using a broadband connection you’ll load pages faster now.
    At the cost of extra CPU usage. Opera has a setting similar to this. I've set it to "draw every 3 seconds" in my desktop PC, and 5 seconds in my netbook. This way I save resources by not instantly rendering a page I can most likely not interact with yet anyway.

Pipelining may actually save some server resources (by not opening a new connection for each request) depending on how it's used. 10 max requests is a bit too much, 3 is way more acceptable.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    that's not a good idea. every website with average security will limit the number of connections per user so except putting more stress on the webserver you even might end up in the list of possible dossers
    Aha...I knew it!!!

I knew someone was gonna bring this up

But to be fair,very few sites will actually punish you for such large number of connection.
    I have one site in my collection that instantly gave me a warning
    "Your IP address has been temporarily banned for the overload warning. The ban expires in 59 minutes 30 seconds"

The max(or optimum) number should be 8. (I read that somewhere)

But I'll tell you what (and I'll repeat this again) there is an immediate noticeable difference in the performance of Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    This is common behavior with FF in loading up so long when you've got a ga-zillion extensions installed.
    Can't live without them,can't live with them...
    Last edited by Resurrection; 31.03.11 at 04:43.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    4/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    Aha...I knew it!!!

I knew someone was gonna bring this up

But to be fair,very few sites will actually punish you for such large number of connection.
    of course but they'll still just drop exceeding connections so it has no effect other than pushing the server harder than needed
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss6
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    Nice of you to leave us guessing which one it is, eh.
    Now I'll just peruse half-way around the internet trying to figure out which one it might be.
    It'd a been nice of you to at least play charades leaving us guess which one it'd be.

Also, you know, Res. This is common behavior with FF in loading up so long when you've got a ga-zillion extensions installed. What I used to do in the past and continue to do currently is just basically take out what themes or extensions I just don't really have any use for. It's like adding mods to a game-it just takes longer.
    I also used to do the piplining-thing with FF, and speaking from my own experiences. That just didn't do it for me. I don't know why. It just didn't make that much of a difference that I felt was noticeable enough.
    its https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...cmanFasterfox/
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (01.04.11)

+ Reply to Thread