Thread: Hotfile Goes To War Against Copyright Infringers

P2P Client
    Bangladesh Extreme Mod
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss196

Hotfile Goes To War Against Copyright Infringers

Hotfile, one of the rising stars on the file-hosting scene, appears to be taking a tougher stance on copyright infringement. Perhaps with an eye on the litigation recently instigated by the MPAA, this week Hotfile has been deleting premium accounts – along with all their files – en masse. Furthermore, Hotfile are reportedly not paying out the money these accounts have earned in the site’s rewards program.
    http://torrentfreak.com/hotfile-goes...ingers-110219/
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (20.02.11) , MiCRON (20.02.11) , SealLion (20.02.11) , fromas (20.02.11)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39480
    Damn, Hotfile is my favorite hoster from the bunch. These days, when I want to download something, I just go to hotfilesearch.com and look it up there. Let's see if they're really serious about this, or only did it to please the MPAA a bit and get them off their backs.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

Instab (20.02.11)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Things might ease and reverse as time goes by. Who knows??
    I think of it this way, anon: Back in the days of Oink, everybody who felt that they were anybody ( in their own little world...LOL ) flocked to Oink.
    Then Oink 'oinked."
    Then rose ?????
    Followed by The Pancake Impersonator.
    Before you knew what was what and who was whom.
    Things fell back to the days-of-yore.
    It might be the same with filehosters, too.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39480
    ...and the question site plus its pancake rival greatly outperformed OiNK in the long run

Running a file hoster has a few twists, though. Firstly, unlike trackers you do host the files, and that can get you in trouble. Secondly, that also means you must have fast servers with lots of disk space, and those aren't free. But then again, I once looked at the list of sites jDownloader supports and realized I didn't know 95% of them...

Oh well, if things don't go too well I'll move to my second favorite, Fileserve.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (20.02.11)

P2P Client
    Serenity / mR
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss469
    I haven't used these services as my main source for downloads in a long time. For years it has been torrents, then ed2k, then dc++, then irc, whichever could provide what I'm looking for. The only file hosting services I may be using are iFileIt and Oron but that's because I use Gigapedia and StoreMags a lot. I have a friend at the office who has a Fileserve and Hotfile premiums and I can imagine him being really pissed off right now. He even encouraged me to get myself account and it's a good thing I didn't with this fiasco happening.

Don't you guys think that with what they might have just shot themselves in the foot?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39480
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCRON View Post
    Don't you guys think that with what they might have just shot themselves in the foot?
    If they're serious, they're the only ones who will be affected in the long run, as uploaders will simply go to other more relaxed services. The same that happened to Rapidshare...
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (21.02.11)

P2P Client
    Serenity / mR
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss469
    I guess you're right. I hope they don't come crying trying to win the pirates' hearts when that happens.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    could be an excuse to delete large amount of uploaded material and make a nice saving regarding the free space (no need to upgrade storage)

as for the rewards program, did anyone seriously think it was profitable? maybe for money laundering...
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (21.02.11)

P2P Client
    Serenity / mR
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss469
    Yeah, a lot of uploaders seems to be attracted to it. Now, we see that it's a big sham.
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (21.02.11)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    If they're serious, they're the only ones who will be affected in the long run, as uploaders will simply go to other more relaxed services. The same that happened to Rapidshare...
    And so when HF loses customers other hosters will gain. And then guess what...?? All of a sudden when HF sees it's losing customers it'll start to want to draw customers to it's base again. At least that's what I think is a possibility that might happen

Who knows??
    Things will probably be up in the air for awhile now.
    After some time, things will settle down and one will have a more clearer view of things, yes??
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Serenity / mR
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss469
    I just don't get what these file hosting services expect from their customers. Do they really expect them most of them not to be pirates? Do McDonalds expect ramp models to eat their food every day? I don't think so. I mean, for that amount of money, a private web hosting would be better if you just want to upload and download your own private legal stuff.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    emule + BitTornado
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss51
    Hotfile is a idiotic OCH, because lose so much time with the re-capcha and the links are fast deletet :(
    sure warez is not ok and not legal, but the admins from HotFile.com know before open he's service the mostley customers be warez uploader(is on evry OCH) and HotFile make the mostley money with the warez uploader's

LETitBIT and DepositFile is the russian pride, many years work, sure have little much ads, but when you use jDownloader then you not see the ads [COLOR="Silver"]
    Last edited by Caramba; 21.02.11 at 09:46.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39480
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    And so when HF loses customers other hosters will gain. And then guess what...?? All of a sudden when HF sees it's losing customers it'll start to want to draw customers to it's base again. At least that's what I think is a possibility that might happen
    That's the same that happened to Rapidshare, too. Sadly (for them), the "rapids" thing didn't work very well, and they'll probably never have the same popularity as in the past. These days I pretty much only see RS links on old uploads.

Who knows??
    Things will probably be up in the air for awhile now.
    After some time, things will settle down and one will have a more clearer view of things, yes??
    That's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCRON View Post
    I just don't get what these file hosting services expect from their customers. Do they really expect them most of them not to be pirates?
    I can't give an exact answer, but they obviously know what kind of usage people give them the most. And a part of them must want it to keep on going - it makes more sense to pay them for a Premium account to get warez than to avoid waiting half an hour between each part of their family photos (the kind of stuff that's "meant" to be uploaded).

Quote Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
    Hotfile is a idiotic OCH, because lose so much time with the re-capcha and the links are fast deletet :(
    Captchas aren't a problem for me And 95% of the time links worked for me. That's partly why I used them so much, other hosters would usually delete files rather quickly.

sure warez is not ok and not legal, but the admins from HotFile.com know before open he's service the mostley customers be warez uploader(is on evry OCH) and HotFile make the mostley money with the warez uploader's
    Yeah, I thought the same, as I posted above.

LETitBIT and DepositFile is the russian pride, many years work, sure have little much ads, but when you use jDownloader then you not see the ads
    DF is a bit buggy for me. Sometimes the captcha won't appear as a free user, which means I must either look for a link generator or forget about the file.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss113
    I never saw a captcha on Depositfile
    Thanks