Thread: Snatching/seeding torrents from previously held tracker account

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28

Snatching/seeding torrents from previously held tracker account

I was just browsing the FAQs on TheBox.bz and red the following.

What's this "Reset passkey" feature in my profile?

You can use this feature to generate a new passkey for you account.

Remember that the passkey uniquely identifies you, therefore if someone would learn it they would be able to leech from your account. Should you suspect your key from being compromised just create a new one.

<b>Note that by using this you will invalidate all the .torrent files that you may have previously downloaded, and will have to download them again.</b>
    So am I right in thinking if I re-download the torrent files that match data I downloaded under my previous account the torrent would go straight to seeding?

I am assuming though this would make it extremely easy to draw attention to myself and could potentially end in another ban.
    Last edited by SealLion; 12.02.11 at 01:19. Reason: make more sense out of thread title
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by philiptorrent View Post
    So am I right in thinking if I re-download the torrent files that match data I downloaded under my previous account the torrent would go straight to seeding?
    yes but you don't need to change the passkey for that. every account has a uniqü passkey. the passkey is not included in the files you downloaded in any way so yes, you can seed what you downloaded with another account.

I am assuming though this would make it extremely easy to draw attention to myself and could potentially end in another ban.
    depends. thebox has a large userbase so they might not care. anyhow i wouldn't change it without a good reason
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

philiptorrent (30.01.11)

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39486
    I'm not sure this is what you really wanted to know, but if you (re)download a torrent to the same location and all its files are present there, your client should do a hash check and jump to seeding.

Would I recommend seeding stuff you snatched with your previous account? No. Maybe I'm too paranoid, though, but that's just as bad as trying to resume a torrent that got stalled because of your previous disablement.

I never got to snatch that album from What.cd...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

philiptorrent (30.01.11)

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28
    I tried to make the bottom line of the answer to the question bold where they say about invalidating the old torrent files and having to re-download but the tags did not work. so you are correct it was the re downloading of torrents I was asking about not the passkey
    I knew that torrents usually check pre existing data if there is any just wanted to check that this would work the same and also to get some advice from fellow banned re register folks if doing this could be bad decision.

Well I think I will continue downloading free soaps and free leech of the week and leave my old torrents where they are to be safe.

Thanks again.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    12/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss39486
    I tried to make the bottom line of the answer to the question bold where they say about invalidating the old torrent files and having to re-download but the tags did not work.
    That's because you used HTML instead of BBCode to attempt to bold the text. HTML support is disabled in this forum due to security reasons. If you aren't familiar with BBCode, read the FAQ.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    That's because you used HTML instead of BBCode to attempt to bold the text. HTML support is disabled in this forum dü to security reasons. If you aren't familiar with BBCode, read the FAQ.
    you could also just mark the text and hit the button with the big "B"
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss28
    Well I decided to switch from PDTV to HDTV downloads on TheBox and due to the increase in file size and the fact I had not much in terms of GBs to use I decided to take the plunge and re-download the torrent files that match data already downloaded with my original account I have been seeding data downloaded from my original account for almost two days now and TheBox staff are non the wiser I am still on the tracker and building up my GB at a nice rate.

Just some information for anyone who might wish to do the same.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread