Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the...

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39495

Question What the...

Hey everyone,

almost every day, there's someone calling me at home. He/she/it doesn't say anything when I pick up the phone, and always hangs up exactly 6 seconds afterwards. Sometimes it's quiet, sometimes you can hear noise/sounds on the other side or even people speaking, but the caller never says a thing. This has been going on for the last two months.

My family and me are clueless about who the hell it could be, so I turn to you, of course. Serious replies are appreciated.

Thanks.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    not sure about the laws in your country but in such cases you sometimes can reqüst action from your phone company. also since it's so precise (always 6 secs) it might be some misconfigured automatic system
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

anon (30.01.11)

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39495
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    not sure about the laws in your country but in such cases you sometimes can request action from your phone company.
    What could they do? Tell me the caller's phone number?

We used to have the caller ID service, but scraped it (forgot why) and never looked back.

also since it's so precise (always 6 secs) it might be some misconfigured automatic system
    Maybe, but in some of the calls I could hear cars driving by and lots of people talking, so they were obviously being made from the street, while in others nothing was audible.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    1. Someone you knew from beforehand and yet has a difficult time making adjustments without you in some scope.
    2. A stalker (seriously)
    3. A prankster/joker/dumbass that somehow reviewed a list of phone numbers he/she/it or what-ever species it is and your number obviously was on it and he/she/it or what-ever species it is, is giving you the idea that your being stalked/hunted/what-ever.
    4. Any other kind of mal-adaptive behavior that warrants a person being a complete moron.

Dial *86 or what-ever number you need to call to 'call last number received '.

OR...

Dial your friendly neighborhood Phone Service Provider and subscribe to a service which lets you block calls. In particular the one from where the caller is obviously calling you from home. Then make additions to blocking calls from the public phones that he/she/it or what-ever species it is, is making calls from. Eventually, you'll force the dumbass to go further and further to go out looking for public phones. Eventually, this retarded monstrosity of a humanoid will stop.
    Last edited by SealLion; 30.01.11 at 02:51.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

anon (30.01.11)

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39495
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    3. A prankster/joker/dumbass that somehow reviewed a list of phone numbers he/she/it or what-ever species it is and your number obviously was on it and he/she/it or what-ever species it is, is giving you the idea that your being stalked/hunted/what-ever.
    My house's phone number isn't in the white pages and we're quite careful about who we give to, precisely to prevent situations like this one. (Had to change the number once, long ago) Still it could be that someone I trust wasn't very careful and gave the number to this moron you mention. The other points are perfectly possible, too.

Dial *86 or what-ever number you need to call to 'call last number received '.
    Good idea. I googled a bit and found a couple of questions about this on Yahoo Answers, and even a forum thread by someone else who had the exact same problem as me and wanted to know how to find out who's calling. Apparently the number in my country is *69#. But if that doesn't work we'll eventually have to nudge the phone company about it, as Instab said above.

OR...

Dial your friendly neighborhood Phone Service Provider and subscribe to a service which lets you block calls. In particular the one from where the caller is obviously calling you from home. Then make additions to blocking calls from the public phones that he/she/it or what-ever species it is, is making calls from. Eventually, you'll force the dumbass to go further and further to go out looking for public phones. Eventually, this retarded monstrosity of a humanoid will stop.
    That'd be a last resort as it sounds like a lot of work. Perhaps that's what the person wants me to do.
    Thanks

well, it's easy: don't give him/her what he/she wants and hang up yourself after three seconds ;-)
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

anon (30.01.11)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    What about the Phone company setting up a 'trap' on your phone line which they log your calls and you log the day and time of the incoming calls??
    In particular to your concern. After 2 weeks or so or however long or short you feel is appropriatek you and the Phone company decide on what to do.

or...

get a new phone number.

All in all, from the initial post it sounds as if the caller is non-threatening and is really just being a pesky bug. I suspect that over time, this mentally-warped person is going to get fairly bored with his anonymous calling activities to you and decide that more fun would be had by anonymously calling the cops and seeing how far his luck will take him.

Hopefully, he'll do that exactly and see how much fun that really will be.

Other than that, I suspect that he/she/it...is waiting for a response from you. Hopefully you aren't fulfilling that desire.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss329
    Apparently the number in my country is *69#.
    If it works then you can try internet to find the caller's address by the phone #, just google 'reverse telephone lookup'. If results are positive it might give you a better idea what all these calls are about.
    Last edited by seldom; 30.01.11 at 05:46.
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

anon (30.01.11)

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    Just call your service provider and explain the situation. It's worth a shot.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

anon (30.01.11)

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss552
    I used to have such a problem like 10 years ago.
    I went to the phone company and they said that I need to make a table of the next 10 hangups with specific time and with that I should file a complaint in the police.

It never actually got to the complaint part and ended after a few weeks but I've always wanted to know who that was!

I used to have such a problem like 10 years ago.
    I went to the phone company and they said that I need to make a table of the next 10 hangups with specific time and with that I should file a complaint in the police.

It never actually got to the complaint part and ended after a few weeks but I've always wanted to know who that was!

you should in advance write yourself the time and date of each hangup and when you have like 5-6 call the phone company and ask them what you should do.

IMO caller ID won't help you much since they probably hide their number.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

anon (30.01.11)

P2P Client
    vuze
    Activity Longevity
    4/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss328
    sometimes a telephone sellesmen calls but they only want to call you and hang up so they can show to the boss that they have called many customers in the list.

other way it could be a scammer from another country, they call you and hang up and wait for you to call back ( that could be very expensive call for you) so watch out.
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

anon (30.01.11)

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    What could they do? Tell me the caller's phone number?
    that or blocking it
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.01.11)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss205
    For about a month I would get random calls like this from a phone number I didn't recognize. Ends up it was some kid playing with her mom's phone that somehow got me on speed-dial. She'd listen to me talk, then hang up.

The last time her mother caught her and was saying something in Chinese (?). lol
    Thanks

22. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.01.11)

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    *69# is long gone as far as I know.
    It could mean that someone is using your phone line; what we call "pinchar", (sorry for the spanish but "tapping" is not the word and I do not know how to explain it )
    Even though your caller ID is not active, you can still request a call listing from either Telecom or Telefonica, it is a bit expensive for what it is, but it is worth the case (last time I checked it was something like AR$ 3 per page)
    The only puzzling thing about it is that it last 6 seconds EVERY time. Some Call centers have automated dialing, and if your number is listed as "do not call" they might not have that as a flag in their system, so they most likely hang up when they realized that.
    Finally, I do not want to sound like I have seen too many CSI episodes but...what does the noise in the back sound like?
    Thanks

24. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.01.11)

I´ve had that problem myself. Eventually, I spoke with our phone company and they helped me to get the number. Apparently, it was a telemarketing company who used a automatic caller software for their salesmen.

In Sweden, we have a system where u can register on a government list making it illegal for the telemarketers to call you (if you don´t have or have had a business relation with the company they´re calling from).

Perhaps you got something similar in your country, it´s worth looking up :)

Good luck!
    Thanks

26. Who Said Thanks:

anon (31.01.11)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast