+ Reply to Thread

Thread: World Press Photo Awards 2010

World Press Photo Awards 2010

The Winning Photographs from World Press Photo

World Press Photo is run as an independent, non-profit organization with its office in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, where World Press Photo was founded in 1955.

The organization is controlled both by an independent executive board and a supervisory board, and employs around 25 permanent staff. The Amsterdam office acts as the hub for a network of professional contacts worldwide - it is this network that makes organizing the contest, exhibitions and other activities on such a large scale possible.

Since the launch of the contest in 1955, World Press Photo has developed into the world’s largest and most prestigious photography exhibit, reaching approximately 2 million people and 45 countries.

-----------

The Worlds Press Photo Contest is one of the largest photo competition of Journalists. The winner of this contest was an Italian photographer who will receive a prize money of €10.000 ($13.500). All the winning photos from all categories will be kept for exhibition in Amsterdam. The award giving ceremony will be conducted during the month of May 2010 in Amsterdam.

-Pietro Masturzo, Italy
    Women in Tehran shout from a rooftop in protest against the regime on 24 June in Tehran.

-Marco Vernaschi, Italy
    Guinea Bissau.

-Walter Astrada, Argentina
    Bloodbath in Madagascar, February.

-Kitra Cahana, Canada
    Rainbowland, New Mexico.

-Eugene Richards, USA
    War Is Personal.

-Gihan Tubbeh, Peru.
    Adrian, 13-year-old boy with autism.

-Paul Nicklen, Canada
    South Georgia, Antarctica.

-David Guttenfelder, USA
    US soldiers respond to surprise Taliban fire outside their bunker, Korengal Valley, Afghanistan, 11 May.

-Stefano De Luigi, Italy
    Giraffe killed by drought, northeast Kenya, September.

-Charles Ommanney, United Kingdom
    Inauguration Day, Washington DC, 20 January.

-Mohammed Salem, Palestinian Territories
    White phosphorus bombs explode over Gaza City during Israel’s offensive, 8 January.

-Mohammed Abed, Palestinian Territories
    Attack on Gaza Strip.

-Olivier Laban-Mattei, France
    Post-election protests in Tehran, 13-15 June

-Joan Bardeletti, France
    Middle classes in Africa: Sunday picnic, Mozambique.

-Adam Ferguson, Australia
    Woman rushed from the scene of a suicide bombing, Kabul, Afghanistan, 15 December.

-Laura Pannack, United Kingdom
    Graeme, anorexic teenager.

-Malick Sidibé, Mali
    Fashion portfolio: Prints and the Revolution, Mali.

-Gareth Copley, United Kingdom
    England’s Jonathan Trott dives in vain as he is run out by Australia’s Simon Katich
    during the fifth Ashes test match at The Oval, London, 20 August.

-Joe Petersburger, Hungary
    Hunting kingfisher, Hungary.

-Elizabeth Kreutz, USA.
    Lance Armstrong – Comeback 2.0.

-------------

I love photography...A picture is worth a thousand words....Sometimes they show emotions no amounts of words can...

Whenever the World Press Photo Exhibition comes to my city ,we always make a point to go pay a visit.

Most of the images posted here are PG 13.If you want to something more brutal and graphic,head over to the official site.Link given below

Winners gallery 2010 - World Press Photo

I must point out that some of the images are pretty vivid and hardcore.
    You have been warned.
    Last edited by Resurrection; 21.12.10 at 04:42.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

caballero (27.12.10) , SealLion (26.12.10)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    -Eugene Richards, USA
    War Is Personal.
    5th picture from the top.
    What happened there if I may ask?
    It looks like a portion of his head is missing. Either that or there is some kind of misinterpretation of the photograph from the angle of photography.

Mohammed Salem, Palestinian Territories
    White phosphorus bombs explode over Gaza City during Israel’s offensive, 8 January.
    11th picture from the top.

More evidence of the atrocities of Israeli military against an oppressed people and hoped-for annihilation of same. How can the authorizing/ editing body for these photos consider a photo such as this a 'winner' for a photography award?
    I don't get it.
    It's despicable, IMO.
    Somebody in this photo-editing-award-giving body must think that it's cool to see the destruction and annihilation of an oppressed people.

-Joe Petersburger, Hungary
    Hunting kingfisher, Hungary
    2nd picture from the bottom.

What a fantastic picture.
    It's obviously a picture taken from the top as the bird is leaving the water.
    Very nice find nevertheless.
    Last edited by SealLion; 26.12.10 at 23:18.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

caballero (27.12.10) , slikrapid (27.12.10)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    World Press Photo is run as an independent, non-profit organization
    yeah, right, but they somehow feel the need to support propaganda coming from 'the world leaders', award exploitation of (human) misery/tragedy, thus influencing photojournalists/photojournalism to focus on subjects that will have a higher chance to win, ie. those which are preferred/wanted/supported - generally, photojournalism is burdened/restricted by the need to be a part of 'telling the story', if it doesn't even the most valuable photos aren't worthy of publishing, also it seems that most of the printed media isn't that much interested in high-level photos, ie. mediocre photojournalists are fine with them (could be profit related or target-audience related or simply lack of interest)

Women in Tehran shout from a rooftop in protest against the regime on 24 June in Tehran.
    lol, mediocre photo, serving as part of propaganda (against the local regime, aligned with official usa position), btw. it was the photo of the year 2009 no less

War Is Personal.
    exploitative regarding disabilities, propagandist/ambiguous considering warfare

Adrian, 13-year-old boy with autism.
    useless photo, exploitative

US soldiers respond to surprise Taliban fire outside their bunker, Korengal Valley, Afghanistan, 11 May.
    propagandist, hypocritical (having fun while people are getting killed), low value (candid camera section?)

Giraffe killed by drought,
    exploitative (death), i wouldn't be surprised if it had an environmental message as well

Inauguration Day, Washington DC, 20 January.
    don't tell me there were no better photos than that, the photo depicts delusions of grandeur, possibly also rooting for obama (cause)

Graeme, anorexic teenager.
    exploitative (sickness/disorder)

Fashion portfolio: Prints and the Revolution, Mali.
    lol

Hunting kingfisher, Hungary.
    the best photo of the lot

imo most of them aren't that spectacular at all, if thats really the best they can pick i'd have to suspect this competition is not worth its supposed reputation, its possible that those applying for the competition are more aligned with possible financial benefits & fame rather than 'true art' - on the other hand, come to think about it, 'true' artists aren't interested in competitions in the first place
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (27.12.10) , caballero (27.12.10)

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss402
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    imo most of them aren't that spectacular at all, if thats really the best they can pick i'd have to suspect this competition is not worth its supposed reputation, its possible that those applying for the competition are more aligned with possible financial benefits & fame rather than 'true art' - on the other hand, come to think about it, 'true' artists aren't interested in competitions in the first place
    I was going to post before reading yours. You're absolutely correct, I'm definitely sure if I go on flickr right now I would pick hundreds of photographs better than those. I'm going up and down the thread trying to see if I missed something. Most of them are pointless, who cares about Neil Armstrong and why are half the pictures related somehow to politics. If I was to rate them, nature photographs would come first.

Yes, very surprising. Surprising enough that the man on the left did not have time to put proper clothes/shoes on and the one in the middle is wearing a normal shoes as if going to a party. I wonder though; is the camera man not scared of the Talibanies down the hill?
    Last edited by caballero; 27.12.10 at 02:09.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (27.12.10) , slikrapid (27.12.10)

Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    More evidence of the atrocities of Israeli military against an oppressed people and hoped-for annihilation of same. How can the authorizing/ editing body for these photos consider a photo such as this a 'winner' for a photography award?
    I don't get it.
    It's despicable, IMO.
    Somebody in this photo-editing-award-giving body must think that it's cool to see the destruction and annihilation of an oppressed people.
    These awards don't celebrate the crimes and the atrocities...These are given to encourage and reward the high standards of the photojournalists...
    That photo in particular is a stark presentation of how Israel continues to violate International Conventions (phosphorous bombs are banned) while bombing Palestine

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Yes, very surprising. Surprising enough that the man on the left did not have time to put proper clothes/shoes on and the one in the middle is wearing a normal shoes as if going to a party. I wonder though; is the camera man not scared of the Talibanies down the hill?
    Defense chief praises GI in pink boxers - U.S. news - Military - msnbc.com

BTW Did you just say "'if I go on flickr right now " ????

Photojournalism is largely about split-second decisions and instinctual reactions.None of these images are digitally edited or re-mastered.Manipulation of images has no place in photojournalism and press photography. All photojournalists lose a little credibility with viewers each time one chooses to manipulate an image.Winning Photos have been disqualified over the past if any sort of photo-manipulation was done.

You know its one thing when Slik says it.I understand his compulsion for posting such comments because his 'alter-views' are how he got all those bars...
    But did you go over to the official site to read their context?A few of these photos are part of a bigger story

Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    'true' artists aren't interested in competitions in the first place
    All 'artists' want recognition...Prove me otherwise...
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (27.12.10)

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss402
    It has been a long time since I read something funny.
    Any soldier who goes into battle against the Taliban in pink boxers and flip-flops has a special kind of courage," Gates said, adding that Boyd may have hit on a new kind of psychological warfare. "I can only wonder about the impact on the Taliban Just imagine seeing that — a guy in pink boxers and flip-flops has you in his crosshairs."
    Seriously, what a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    BTW Did you just say "'if I go on flickr right now " ????
    Yeah ok, flickr has lots and lots of edited photographs but my point was that there are better photographs!
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    @Resurrection:

These awards don't celebrate the crimes and the atrocities...These are given to encourage and reward the high standards of the photojournalists...
    perhaps not, they do seem to like such subjects though and it does look exploitative, furthermore it tends to steer away from their supposed goal: 'to photograph the ordinary in an extraordinary way' into a more calculated one: 'to expect extraordinary results from the extraordinary'

as for 'high' standards, in addition to my previous comments, the photos speak for themselves

Photojournalism is largely about split-second decisions and instinctual reactions...Manipulation of images has no place in photojournalism and press photography.
    not necessarily, its primarily about recognizing good 'material' & potentially good situations, being prepared to take a photo & finding good locations, also, what you refer to as 'split-second decisions' is a simple choice between merely 2 options: 'take a shot' or 'don't take a shot', their work is likely not something akin to what may be presented in action movies

as for manipulation of images, it is a widely used methodology, even professional code(s) of ethics treat it as allowed with some restrictions (check the two following recommendations and think about whether they are in practice being followed to-the-letter or not ):

# Editing should maintain the integrity of the photographic images' content and context. Do not manipulate images or add or alter sound in any way that can mislead viewers or misrepresent subjects.
    # Do not pay sources or subjects or reward them materially for information or participation.
    # Do not accept gifts, favors, or compensation from those who might seek to influence coverage.
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Press_Photographers_Association
    I understand his compulsion for posting such comments because his 'alter-views' are how he got all those bars...
    o rly? then answer these:
    would it be any different if i got them by posting mainstream views, or in any other way for that matter?
    would you say that criticism is something not desirable or perhaps even unnecessary altogether?
    are you implying my posts are insincere/inaccurate/irrelevant/illogical, or anything in that direction?

But did you go over to the official site to read their context?
    would they mention something on their official site that makes them look bad, expose some dirty laundry, criticize their organization, in other words would you say PR is a role-model of honesty/truthfulness/transparency?

All 'artists' want recognition...Prove me otherwise...
    only insofar as any other human being regarding the social/societal interaction, however, 'true' art is that which deals with its basics, its core/essential level (see quote below) and in a limited sense with using/applying those basics to different so-called 'motivated-purposes'

The non-motivated purposes of art are those that are integral to being human, transcend the individual, or do not fulfill a specific external purpose. Aristotle said, "Imitation, then, is one instinct of our nature." [13] In this sense, Art, as creativity, is something humans must do by their very nature (i.e., no other species creates art), and is therefore beyond utility.
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art#Purpose_of_art
    another not mentioned aspect is communicating one's subconscious through artistic means into the open, channeling that contents, as part of individual exploration or a perceived need/attraction, in its raw form or partially so
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread