P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266

ed2k traffic 100% filtered by my ISP

Hi guys,

I recently moved (yay!) and change my provider (Telecentro). I have been very busy so I just realized that emule will simply not download at all, and will barely upload
    I tried a few basic things and I came to the conclusion that my ISP is filtering ed2k out, because sources connect, but the speed stays at 0 b/s.
    BT, Soulseek, Streaming, web, everything works but emule.
    Are there any known methods to bypass throttling?

PS: Switching providers is out of the question, it costs like half of any other ISP and I get free cable (as in "gimme $50 and I hook you up" free)

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by desodorante; 10.12.10 at 03:45.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

In Italy a lot of provider filter the p2p traffic (all p2p software not only eMule).
    But is never totally blocked, you have a low Id because the door aren't open but eMule work.

Are you sure protocol obfuscation is active ? Did you tried to ask to the provider if eMule is really blocked ?
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

desodorante (13.12.10)

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39498
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathless View Post
    Did you tried to ask to the provider if eMule is really blocked ?
    I'm very familiar with the marketing tactics of unscrupulous ISPs in Argentina. They'll avoid your question and state not to provide support for P2P programs.

desodorante, firstly, this could be a mere coincidence. What about doing this test to see if they're really blocking the eD2K protocol? Because it's really surprising that they've only chosen that one in particular, while BitTorrent and streaming (which are, proportionally, much more popular in our country). Otherwise, I suppose you've already tried full protocol obfuscation, and that didn't work...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

My ISP filters eMule as well, and I can safely say, there is no way around it

---
    (uTP )

I am cheatos

Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

desodorante (13.12.10)

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39498
    Quote Originally Posted by cheatos View Post
    (uTP )
    Sadly, there isn't a direct eD2K equivalent of that, as transfers are already made via UDP. I guess that as a last resort you could try NeoMule's encryption features, but that will only work with other clients that support it.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

desodorante (13.12.10)

Is very strange eMule is filtered and uT not !
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

desodorante (13.12.10)

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    NeoMule's encryption features, but that will only work with other clients that support it.
    Interesting, but you are saying its not widely supported, so yeah not a solution,
    either way, 0-6kB/s aren't bad when it comes to critical rare files
    Last edited by cheatos; 10.12.10 at 13:04.

I am cheatos

Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

desodorante (13.12.10)

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    Thank you all for the info :)
    I always have had obfuscation on, and I also tried allowing obfuscated connections only, but that did not work.
    As anon said calling my ISP would be a waste of time, besides I don't want them to send someone and find my cable connection.
    I honestly didn't try BT myself, but my GF did and she said it works fine.
    I am pretty sure it is my ISP because for a minute or so my upload came back up as it used to be and quickly dropped to a sinuous line below 10kb/s as it is now.
    Encryption will sure work but it will isolate me with 0,1% of the ed2k network.
    I will use the Glasnost test ASAP!!

Thanks again you guys and girls!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39498
    A girlfriend that torrents!

Good luck with the Glasnost test. If things don't go well, you want to try torrents, and have doubts, feel free to PM me.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss90
    My ISP block Bittorrent like hell. Do not ask your ISP about P2P, they will keep eyes on you. uTP is the best for now.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

desodorante (13.12.10)

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    A girlfriend that torrents!

Good luck with the Glasnost test. If things don't go well, you want to try torrents, and have doubts, feel free to PM me.
    A girlfriend that torrents AND installed her own router! Oh and also modified an XML in an aMsn skin to cheage some colors and the bg (with my assistance)

Back to the thread I ran the Glasnost test and I was able to confirm I am getting my ass filtered out to the bone.
    I did spoke with a friend that has the same ISP, more than 2 neurons and uses emule and he said it only works at night. I am yet to try that out, I am very very busy lately.
    Thanks guys!
    Thanks

it only works at night
    Also in Italy in past a lot of provider do that (for example emule work from 24 to 8 AM)... because the day a lot of people are connected and they don't have enough traffic for run eMule to all user. I don't know if in Italy exist now provider wich do that... but I know a lot filter always but you will get only low ID. In any case I found any kind of solution I will post here!!!
    Last edited by piratemeister; 13.12.10 at 14:06.
    Thanks

19. Who Said Thanks:

desodorante (13.12.10)

Activity Longevity
    13/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39498
    Quote Originally Posted by desodorante View Post
    A girlfriend that torrents AND installed her own router! Oh and also modified an XML in an aMsn skin to cheage some colors and the bg (with my assistance)
    My dream.

Back to the thread I ran the Glasnost test and I was able to confirm I am getting my ass filtered out to the bone.
    Hah, well, don't be surprised. And it's still very strange that Telecentro's only blocking eMule and not other, more popular protocols.

I did spoke with a friend that has the same ISP, more than 2 neurons and uses emule and he said it only works at night.
    My provider also unshapes and increases speeds at night, also... if you use eMule regularly, leaving the PC on during the night may be your only choice. Or you can get a good VPN if it's so important...
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    My dream.
    Yeah she is lovely...sometimes...

My provider also unshapes and increases speeds at night, also... if you use eMule regularly, leaving the PC on during the night may be your only choice. Or you can get a good VPN if it's so important...
    Nah, no way; in fact, my interest for P2P and the Internet in general has plunged since I moved and I spend more time fixing, painting and hammering stuff around the house.
    Besides, I have cable TV now, and I am a 90s guy, so deep down zapping is way more rewarding than downloading for me
    I do however want to finish my downloads at the very least, besides of getting some movies here and there.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    I even think you could speak about that on the official emule forum too, because it's an important concern about the obfuscation feature. Maybe you will manage to convince the official client's devs to implement some encryption feature, in emule v9784 or something like that.....

Before this moment, the only way I see is to use a vpn (allowing port forwarding of course). Best imo is a TCP Openvpn using port 443 (very difficult to filter). So you will not only be able to properly use emule, but you can also get a kind of revenge. Because, suppose your ISP is in Italia and the vpn server you use in Hong Kong. In using the vpn for eMuling, you increase the peering fees your ISP has to pay to your vpn's ISP. It's something about what the ISP are only thinking when it's troo late (ieafter many users have migrated on vpn solutions): With classic P2P, most of the trafic happens locally, and the peering fees are low. But when the customers are incitated to proxyfy their traffic, data from Italia to Italia has to go from Italia to Panama, from Panama to Hong Kong, and from Hong Kong to Italia.

The same peering issues for ISP are hapening with eg MegaUpload: Instead of handling mostly local and ballanced P2P traffic, the ISPs have now to handle very unbalanced traffic to far destinations. And as you initiate the connection to MU, your ISP as too pay peering fees to MU's FAI.

They would have had to think a little more about that, before acting as if P2P were the devil.
    Last edited by Renk; 13.12.10 at 23:00.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast