Thread: MAC Address Hoax

P2P Client
    RM+WM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss43

Smile MAC Address Hoax

First of all, I am a newbie here though I am using Ratio tools regularly for over one year. I joined earlier but could not be here since stuffs came up.

Well, I am noticed a lot posts about MAC address changing and spoofing. Here's something I should tell you, It's not possible to get any site (except your localhost for Network Admins or ISP) to know your MAC Address WITHOUT explicit Java applets (or JavaScripts in IE) allowing to run. Do not get confused with JavaScript. Even using Java you would need to allow to run the applet manually, because to digitally sign such an applet they would need to shell out a lot dough.

Using JavaScript (except IE) and Flash CANNOT exploit this, only Java can do this for a third-party site to check your MAC. As per I know, no tracker, Public or Private is using Java (Cannot say the same for JavaScript) to get your MAC, so you are safe (supposed you don't have malwares running that blocks checking the Java applets).

Still, don't forget if you are not using a properly configured router (or don't have one, then it will be still possible to get your MAC scanning your IP (Unless your firewall blocks the port scanning, remember this with BitMe and BitmeTV).

In Brief, Block Java, Use a good firewall, block ActiveX and JavaScript in IE.Using router will change the default MAC of your Network Card if you choose such settings.

Also, the following articles will provide some of your needs:

MAC address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, MAC address spoofing is limited to the local broadcast domain.

MAC Address Using WMI on Internet Explorer -> MAC Address Using WMI on Internet Explorer

This article helps you in finding the MAC address of a client machine on IE using WMI Library.

If you like this post, why not say something? Even if you hate it, say that!
    Last edited by megaupload; 05.07.10 at 18:39.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (22.04.15) , Master Razor (30.09.14) , shadowww (11.07.10) , saebrtooth (06.07.10) , Instab (05.07.10) , anon (05.07.10)

Guest Coder
    P2P Client
    uSerenity
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss478
    only guys from your local network can get your MAC, if it's not local tracker they have no access to it, no need in changing anything
    信心正気宇裁
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (06.07.10)

However, MAC address spoofing is limited to the local broadcast domain.
    Then what is the point of this?
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39444
    Hey there,

the reason we recommend changing your MAC address before attempting to reregister on a tracker is that a certain member here once did all the other steps to try and get back into the What.cd interview channel with no results, until he changed it - he was then able to get back in.

My personal stance on the matter is that as you mention, I'm pretty sure trackers can't see your MAC at all - I've been holding dupes on trackers with the same one as always, and haven't been banned yet. But then again, I've always kept Java disabled in all my browsers...

Thank you for taking the time to write about this!
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    4/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by megaupload View Post
    Using router will change the default MAC of your Network Card
    absolutely not.
    instead the mac of the router will be visible from the outisde if anyone would be able to do so at all
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

And for most routers the mac can be changed to anything you like (that looks like a mac adress:)
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39444
    Quote Originally Posted by hontoCorti View Post
    And for most routers the mac can be changed to anything you like
    Yup, either by enabling MAC cloning for an specific IP and changing that computer NIC's address, or in newer devices just entering the new one directly.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread