Poll: have you watched the V 2009 pilot?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: V 2009

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661

V 2009

just watched the series' premiere and was impressed. imho they've done many things right. normally i'm sceptical about remakes but this is one of the very few remake series i really like so far.

especially after the imo so far disappointing SGU and the quite weak caprica pilot this is very welcome. and it's good to see that they're still able to come up with good stuff.
    Last edited by Instab; 04.11.09 at 07:45.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Snitlev (30.06.10) , Blocker (17.05.10) , saebrtooth (16.05.10)

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Yes, and obviously I was quite sceptical about it
    hehe, same here. have a look at my first post
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

*high fives* ?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    ok, so i watched the series and the overall conclusion is: this one is quite messy to say the least - already in the first episode they manage to cram so many events inside that the characters have little time to deliver any depth to their performance (it feels as if the filmmakers were limited to one season only for their story), the idea that the aliens are supposed to be controlling their emotions doesn't help here (they are mostly stiff & expressionless) and it turns out incorrect as the series progresses, generally it feels like looking at a production line, the sequences are dry and mechanical - even the two main human characters fail to create chemistry between them, every attempt gets interrupted with some meaningless dialogue/event/other character - it gets even worse considering other human characters who are quite bland & stereotypical, their acting levels reduced to the mere necessity

as for other story elements, a lot of what i suspected before has been used:

http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...e=3#post189141

and you'll get a substantial dosage of propaganda as well, for example: the 'with us or against us' paroles, the overall human spiritual/religious impotence, the promotion of vaccines, even global warming, one world government, the terrorist threats, over-hyped media/UN importance and whatnot, they just had to incorporate all of it (with a suiting moral of the story of course)

you will notice that through the whole series there is virtually no presence of any military element (no generals, army interventions), no presidents negotiating terms of engagement (thats for the fbi with a minor UN and their representatives appearance), the media is the alpha and the omega of information delivery and the ultimate public opinion wielders, people reduced virtually to sheeple (except for main characters) and so on, its a 'wet dream' scenario for the global supranational powers, yet currently (still) not a realistic scenario, contrary to what the filmmakers wanted us to believe

naturally, no one bothers to ask the aliens anything about their origins, culture, language, anatomy, religion, science, nothing...zip...nada, they are simply taken for granted, their speeches automatically believed (or simply cartoon-like protested), their human appearance taken as self-explanatory, their supposed 7-10+ year existence on this planet never revealed in the slightest sense (no internet rumors whatsoever)...

lastly, the number of errors or bad/unbelievable solutions/ideas/explanations/events/outcomes/behavior and so on is quite high, meaning every few minutes or so you'll be rolling your eyes in disbelief at what is being delivered on the screen

anyways, i can't recommend this as its simply lacking in just about every sense (yes, the cgi is mediocre/generic as well)
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    hehe, well, what do you expect? all answers in the first season?
    anyway, the elements you expected were not in there but dös that make the show bad?

as a fact they do have more going on in one episode than other shows in 5. whether you like that content or not is another thing ...
    Thanks

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    I would say its entertainment, and considering in reality the alternatives of other scifis that are in current production, what elese do you want? haha

In the past if a person wanted a marvelous artwork from Picasso or Leonardo they would have to patronise them with their wealth, now Im no high flying merchant banker and I just take what I can. Despite the former comment V is actually worth its time for entertainment value.

If you really want reality, you're not gona find it on TV soap, but possibly reality maybe found behind a thick telescope lense.
    dont ban me just spank me
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    as a fact they do have more going on in one episode than other shows in 5.
    which is just as bad as if they had 5 times less than in any other show

whether you like that content or not is another thing ...
    regardless, they did a lousy job with this one on just too many levels

Quote Originally Posted by saebrtooth
    considering in reality the alternatives of other scifis that are in current production, what elese do you want?
    some quality entertainment maybe? its been done before

Quote Originally Posted by saebrtooth
    In the past if a person wanted a marvelous artwork from Picasso or Leonardo they would have to patronise them with their wealth, now Im no high flying merchant banker and I just take what I can.
    i doubt they do special high quality shows for merchant bankers though
    Thanks

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    oh of/c not for free

And of/c yes I agree shows are there for the audiences pleasure thus critique is also in order

Alas those with a subjective mind and a whim, like myself, for scifi even if they are not top notch I still consider them good haha
    Last edited by saebrtooth; 30.06.10 at 03:52.
    dont ban me just spank me
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    which is just as bad as if they had 5 times less than in any other show :tongü:
    how so?

regardless, they did a lousy job with this one on just too many levels
    well for my taste they did a great job in all aspects i consider important
    Thanks

It's sci-fi tbh. You shouldn't be treating it as some realistic show. If you look at star wars, those movies are FULL of stupid errors that everyone knows about yet they made billions. And they're good too.

The fact that everything is a little bit too perfect doesn't really bother me. It's still amusing. Don't forget that people ARE gullible, though. And with all the presents the visitors bring, why ask too many questions that might even scare them away? I've always heard the saying "People are smart, groups of people are dumb as hell". It's usually true, too.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    It's sci-fi tbh. You shouldn't be treating it as some realistic show.
    actually, their sloppiness in execution is counterproductive, regardless of the fictional setting/premise - the word 'science' in SF is used for a purpose:

Science fiction is a genre of fiction. It differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation). Exploring the consequences of such differences is the traditional purpose of science fiction, making it a "literature of ideas".[1] Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possibilities.[2] The settings for science fiction are often contrary to known reality, but the majority of science fiction relies on a considerable degree of suspension of disbelief provided by potential scientific explanations to various fictional elements.
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction
    what the movie/TV industry feeds us with and their professional standards is another story though

And with all the presents the visitors bring, why ask too many questions that might even scare them away?
    come on now, you don't believe that, do you? a benevolent advanced species would be willing (and prepared) to explain what you want to know (and there would be a multitude of questions), otherwise they would lose your trust and you would question their goals and thus their 'free' 'gifts'

I've always heard the saying "People are smart, groups of people are dumb as hell". It's usually true, too.
    but it works only in specific conditions (like the mob scenario), not universally - for example, you probably wouldn't call a think tank (group of people) dumb
    Thanks

actually, their sloppiness in execution is counterproductive, regardless of the fictional setting/premise - the word 'science' in SF is used for a purpose:
    maybe the 'fiction' part is bigger this time. I don't remember reading that there has to be a 50-50 balance. Star Wars argument still stands!

come on now, you don't believe that, do you? a benevolent advanced species would be willing (and prepared) to explain what you want to know (and there would be a multitude of questions), otherwise they would lose your trust and you would question their goals and thus their 'free' 'gifts'
    And why wouldn't I believe that? This isn't exactly 24 either, so you don't really know if they asked questions or not. Maybe they didn't show it because it's obvious such an advanced race wouldn't have problems coming up with believable answers.

Also, don't they always say "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?

This seems like the perfect example for a religion. The priest being one of the main characters really helps this too. If everyone questioned everything, religion would've been extinct ages ago. Yet here we are.

but it works only in specific conditions (like the mob scenario), not universally - for example, you probably wouldn't call a think tank (group of people) dumb
    How is a think tank not a specific condition? I think a mob is more likely to fit the V scenario than a think tank.

Anyway, we're completely starting to go off topic on this one. The series is still good, even more if you've seen the older ones. The fact that it's not believable (like most stuff on tv) doesn't make it a bad show.

I can't really remember watching a series that I actually believed could happen that wasn't a reality show (and thus actually happened). Even those are biased most of the time. Like temptation island filming one kiss from multiple angles making it look like they kissed a lot of times. People want drama and excitement and this is what V is giving. Otherwise we can just turn on the news and watch how president Obama feels sad and angry about the oil spill.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    maybe the 'fiction' part is bigger this time. I don't remember reading that there has to be a 50-50 balance. Star Wars argument still stands!
    actually it isn't, the series aims at a substantially larger reality scenario part (a contemporary one) than a fictional one, so thats obviously no excuse

as for the star wars, you may ask yourself why does it work so well, even if not consistent through each movie and with a fair amount of errors and so on - imo its about a combination of factors: intriguing/interesting story, decent actors and character development with a skilled director to wrap it all up, these are probably the basic ones, everything else (believability, cgi, budget, hype, marketing) can be an added value (or not), but professionals are supposed to take care of that part as much as possible too (ie. do it in a professional manner)

Also, don't they always say "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?
    maybe they didn't know about the trojan horse

This seems like the perfect example for a religion. The priest being one of the main characters really helps this too. If everyone questioned everything, religion would've been extinct ages ago. Yet here we are.
    the priest character as depicted in the series is one of the more foolish/naive/gullible ones (the first to question his religion as if he was some noob and not an experienced practitioner)

and religion being still here isn't because of a lack of questioning, but because of the perceived lack of a better spiritual solution on one side and the benefits of its system on the other side and because spirituality was shoved aside to make place for the officially supported monetary/material element

How is a think tank not a specific condition? I think a mob is more likely to fit the V scenario than a think tank.
    who said it wasn't?
    and the mob example is perfect for depicting what exactly was the film/script-makers idea of supporting human characters, pretty shallow i'd say

as a side note, you're clinging too much on the believability factor which is imo of non-essential, but rather added importance, yet one that shouldn't be neglected (the professional manner)
    Thanks

as a side note, you're clinging too much on the believability factor which is imo of non-essential, but rather added importance, yet one that shouldn't be neglected (the professional manner)
    I was under the impression you were calling it bad because of this. Have I misread your posts that much?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    I was under the impression you were calling it bad because of this. Have I misread your posts that much?
    did you read my first detailed post above:

http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...e=5#post205376

the believability topic is only a part of the critique

Quote Originally Posted by Instab
    well, in the end it's just a matter of taste. some like the one or the other show and some don't
    yup, exactly
    Last edited by slikrapid; 30.06.10 at 23:08.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    well, in the end it's just a matter of taste. some like the one or the other show and some don't
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast