+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BitThief Review - Speed tests needed!

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Having at least a hard and well-coded BitTornado spoof in BitThief would be great, since it appears to be a very fast mod.

Why specifically BitTornado and not any other client?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    also it would be interesting to know if the 'call home' has really been removed
    You can check this with a packet sniffer. If there isn't any traffic to the call-home address, it's really been removed.

and the question of opening too many connections at the same time - there should be a way to limit that so that the modem won't be over saturated with connections
    You can "limit connection number" as of v0.3.0.

@SomeGuy: BitTornado spoof is proportionally easier to code than Azureus or uTorrent.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (11.06.09) , slikrapid (11.06.09)

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    and the question of opening too many connections at the same time - there should be a way to limit that so that the modem won't be over saturated with connections
    In their scientific article, they say that it is not the "too many connections" which kills the modem. That this is a myth. They put what they found to be the optimum number of connections to get a high speed, and they found that it doesn't kill modems, although it would be considered too many connections by some. They prove it in their tests by not having one modem kills. Mine did not and I have a normal chinese one that is made for my 50kb/s speed
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    In their scientific article, they say that it is not the "too many connections" which kills the modem.
    But it does kill routers - most home ones can't handle more than 255 connections.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (11.06.09)

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Well, they talk about how they were trying to find the optimum number of connections that ensures high speed without killing the router. This optimum number of connections could be considered too many by some people.

In my experience, and since I was afraid of this because of the TF guy saying that it killed his router, I paid attention to the connections tab in BitThief. It only made 45 connections in my case maximum. I did pay close attention to this, so I don't know, maybe it has some way to assess how much your router can handle or something
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    in normal public movie torrents with 1000 seeders and 9000 leechers,
    perfect test example for determining how much download speed can be achieved, would be interesting to make a parallel comparison between Shu/BitComet/BitThief (modified)/utorrent (modified)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Well, they talk about how they were trying to find the optimum number of connections that ensures high speed without killing the router.
    so what is their 'optimum' number of connections, over 255?

In my experience, and since I was afraid of this because of the TF guy saying that it killed his router, I paid attention to the connections tab in BitThief. It only made 45 connections in my case maximum.
    imo too many connections cause the modem/router to freeze (stop responding) or to restart, but it shouldn't be destroyed/killed ?!

btw, does it have an option to auto-disconnect/temporary ban (or manual option like azureus) slow seeds or to prefer faster users (even if they are maybe under 100% finished at that moment)
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

anonftw (12.06.09) , SomeGuy (11.06.09)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    perfect test example for determining how much download speed can be achieved, would be interesting to make a parallel comparison between Shu/BitComet/BitThief (modified)/utorrent (modified)
    Yes, it is, and just as an unrelated piece of information, I remember Deluge once reached 100kB/s on such a public torrent, while uTorrent got stuck at 5kB/s.

imo too many connections cause the modem/router to freeze (stop responding) or to restart, but it shouldn't be destroyed/killed ?!
    Yes, you're right. I'm sure the TF writer meant that it killed his network connection. Here's the original quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto
    BitThief then exploits other peers, and opens up a lot of simultaneous connections, 500, compared to 80 on default by the mainline client. One of the downfalls of this aggressive approach is that it will instantly crash a lot of routers. It took less than 4 seconds before my router gave up when I attempted to download a popular Ubuntu release.
    btw, does it have an option to auto-disconnect/temporary ban (or manual option like azureus) slow seeds or to prefer faster users (even if they are maybe under 100% finished at that moment)
    Seems not, at least I can't find it.
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (11.06.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    naturally there should be more tests on one torrent and also on more torrents to avoid possible misinterpretation of the results

TF writer meant that it killed his network connection. Here's the original quote:
    man, you're dedicated

Seems not, at least I can't find it.
    imo it would be a good idea to implement something like that, considering the following quote (it could also allow for lower number of used connection):

So this client is made with only one purpuse: Download as fast as possible, and get the files in the shortest amount of time.
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (11.06.09)

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Let's test the rumors: Has BitThief killed the connection or frozen the router of anyone here?

Let me start: I had no problems with it, and it had been running for 2 days. Maximum number of connections reached with BitThief is 45, which is not bad.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    naturally there should be more tests on one torrent and also on more torrents to avoid possible misinterpretation of the results
    And with similar settings whenever possible - no upload is achieved by unticking "upload" in BitThief, ticking "No Upload" in the Azureus Hack, and setting the amount of global upload slots to a negative number in uTorrent (working?). Things like the max. amount of connections, slots, rate limits, etc. should also be the same. (You'll notice BitThief doesn't have too many settings to play around with)

imo it would be a good idea to implement something like that, considering the following quote (it could also allow for lower number of used connection):
    Perhaps it already does that if you limit the amount of connections? I recently halved my uTorrent's, and it still connects to the fastest peers.

@SomeGuy: it hasn't killed my network/modem, but if you don't limit the maximum amount, it should theoretically be able to make an infinite number of connections, specially on very active torrents - and as proven by TF (even though they used an old BT version) that's an amount routers can't cope up with.

Except on some special cases, opening many connections when you have a direct line (PC -> modem -> Internet) shouldn't really make the modem crash, although it can greatly slow you down.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (11.06.09)

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    As you might have noticed from the screenshots I provided, I had that torrent running for 20 hours straight without any router problems.

When I used BitComet though, I did actually have my internet connection drop a few times at first. I am on wireless. So I understand what you are saying.

BitTyrant did not overconnect in my case. Maybe it is something to verify
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    BitTyrant is based on an old Azureus core - so it surely has an option to limit your maximum connections, right?

By the way, I have just tested the fake share ratio option. It effectively acts as a mini-Ratio Faker, and sends an upload that's your download multiplied by the number you set:

Code:
    GET /announce?info_hash=...&port=45503&uploaded=2768240&downloaded=1048576&left=731822489&num... HTTP/1.1
    (Fake share ratio = 2.64)
    Thanks

19. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (11.06.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Let's test the rumors: Has BitThief killed the connection or frozen the router of anyone here?
    Let me start: I had no problems with it, and it had been running for 2 days. Maximum number of connections reached with BitThief is 45,
    its nothing against BitThief, this 'multiple connections issue' is a characteristic of all modems, regardless of the torrent client used

if you read previous posts, we were talking about 255+ connections that should render the modem/router unstable after some relatively short amount of time has passed while working in 'many connections' mode

Perhaps it already does that if you limit the amount of connections
    somehow i doubt it, i suppose they would reveal it in their documents, but its possible nevertheless

Except on some special cases, opening many connections when you have a direct line (PC -> modem -> Internet) shouldn't really make the modem crash, although it can greatly slow you down.
    provided that the modem is of really good quality (industrial ) and has some kind of protection from too many connections 'requests'; which (quality) in most home connection cases isn't adequately provided
    Thanks

21. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (12.06.09)

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    I think it will be a good idea to test the clients we are talking about.

So who here has a big enough pipe and would like to volunteer to do this speed-test?

I think a good public torrent like ubuntu or OpenOffice are good places.

These are just suggestions. As anon said, maybe uTorrent with the negative number upload, Vuze extreme with no upload, BitThief, maybe just for fun BitComet and Deluge can be put head to head and we can see which does really deliver. Maybe ThunderMod could be included too. If we do this, this will be popular on google searches

It is up to you guys. You know my connection. If I had a bigger pipe, I would definitely volunteer to do this.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    It is up to you guys. You know my connection. If I had a bigger pipe, I would definitely volunteer to do this.
    Same here if I wasn't shaped.

Any popular torrent with a high S/L ratio should do, but better use the public ones you've mentioned - you can't get banned
    Thanks

24. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (12.06.09)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast