Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Torrentleech - TL

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by miguel452 View Post
    I love the TL but not really fond of captachas.

I realize that CAPTCHAs can be annoying, but think of them this way:

Would you want to own a torrent site and be spammed all day??
    I am sure that your aware that CAPTCHAs are used to prevent the 'bots' from navigating sites that are protected by CAPTCHAs.
    And I'm equally sure your also aware that no computer program can read any kind of distorted text as well as humans can.
    Besides, CAPTCHAs only take about 10 secs of one's time.
    Nothing that'll demand much.

Think of NOT having a CAPTCHAs as some drunk guy at the door who lets people into an exclusive party.

And after that, think of CAPTCHAs confounding all the many human visitors that visit what-ever site and who read those lines asking them to check some checkbox which asks:

"are you a human? If so, check this box",

......because many question their humanity or have been denied the power to state that fact by some Court of a Banana Republic.
    LOL.
    Last edited by SealLion; 15.11.10 at 07:23.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

they've changed icons ..AGAIN.. this time though it looks much better now in my opinion
    Last edited by pimphead07; 17.11.10 at 11:56.
    Thanks

I hate that all the files are rar'd... :(

Unnecessarily takes up space...

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

the new TL requires me to "log in" everytime... Nothing new there...Happened with the old one too...

This time however there is no Captcha...So its ok...

-----

There Help link is also broken...

---
    Can anyone confirm the above issues?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post

rars are smaller than the actual files

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

the new TL requires me to "log in" everytime... Nothing new there...Happened with the old one too...

-----

There Help link is also broken...

---
    Can anyone confirm the above issues?
    You should really try reading their front page first.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    The parts sure are smaller than the whole file(s), but overall, RARs will be slightly bigger than it due to header overhead plus no compression. TL's probably uploading RARed stuff so that they can race it faster.

Note RARs are an advantage for honest ratio-keepers, you can download 1 part and seed it a lot to increase your ratio.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

You don't say...

Is it not required to extract first to use the content?Does that not mean twice the memory for the same product?

You should really try reading their front page first.
    I was wondering if things have changed since...
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2066

This doesn't happen to me, only if I clean cookies or change ip. Maybe your ip is resetting randomly, thus the need for new logins? Or maybe your browser is configured to clean cache when exit?

Not always, most stuff like xvids and isos are already compressed sources, so you end up gaining these overheads anon mentioned.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection

keeping the scene files intact (rar's & co.) is a good practice, which is especially useful for large releases in case a part of it gets corrupted (you need to re-download only the broken part, a fraction of the original size & time/ratio/bandwidth saver), for multi-dvd archiving (release is already split in parts smaller than a dvd size), transferring to systems that have inconvenient file-size limitations (fi. fat32), additional compression (in case the original or its parts were left uncompressed, which is likely sufficient to overcome the overhead disadvantage), availability (it can usually be re-downloaded from every source that uses intact rar's), validity (check whether it is original and trustworthy) - afaik the biggest disadvantage is the roughly double size of hard drive space needed (only when using the release)
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    additional compression (in case the original or its parts were left uncompressed, which is likely sufficient to overcome the overhead disadvantage)
    Aren't most if not all Scene releases inside uncompressed RARs? Or am I missing something?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    i'd say the default is likely to have 'normal' compression setting, since there are examples of games being significantly compressed inside scere rar's, though to be sure about the default rule one would need to check the scene rules
    Thanks

Does that not mean twice the memory for the same product?
    No, as you do not keep both. You unrar, delete the rar files and you keep the normal files. I'm sure you won't be seeding for weeks and weeks.
    Is it not required to extract first to use the content?
    As for movies and music, a lot of players even can play directly from the rars these days so only things like applications which you are seeding for ages would require you to keep both for a long time. And even then, it won't be such a massive amount of gigabytes that it would be truly inconvenient.

I was wondering if things have changed since...
    Apparently not :3

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    The parts sure are smaller than the whole file(s), but overall, RARs will be slightly bigger than it due to header overhead plus no compression. TL's probably uploading RARed stuff so that they can race it faster.
    While this might be the case in rare occasions (as I'm fairly sure that most TL rars are compressed at normal or higher), I'm sure we're talking about mere kilobytes. Also, iirc most trackers upload it like that because they want to keep the scene files intact.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 17.11.10 at 22:59.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    keeping the scene files intact (rar's & co.) is a good practice, which is especially useful for large releases in case a part of it gets corrupted (you need to re-download only the broken part, a fraction of the original size & time/ratio/bandwidth saver), for multi-dvd archiving (release is already split in parts smaller than a dvd size), transferring to systems that have inconvenient file-size limitations (fi. fat32), additional compression (in case the original or its parts were left uncompressed, which is likely sufficient to overcome the overhead disadvantage), availability (it can usually be re-downloaded from every source that uses intact rar's), validity (check whether it is original and trustworthy) - afaik the biggest disadvantage is the roughly double size of hard drive space needed (only when using the release)
    I know why they rar it and I also know how useful it is...I just hate the fact that those of us who choose to seed from homes (and not seedboxes) are inconvenienced like that...

I agree with you actually,slik.I just don't know what the hell is Sazzy on about...

No, as you do not keep both. You unrar, delete the rar files and you keep the normal files. I'm sure you won't be seeding for weeks and weeks.
    Aww...

Never be sure of things you don't know about...

I infact DO seed for weeks and weeks...
    And I'll even tell why that is a issue for me...The stuff I download from the private sites I upload on the public sites...So perhaps you can see my side of the coin?

As for movies and music, a lot of players even can play directly from the rars these days so only things like applications which you are seeding for ages would require you to keep both for a long time. And even then, it won't be such a massive amount of gigabytes that it would be truly inconvenient.
    Playing from the rar'd files does not depend on the player.It depends on the video codec and the compression algorithm used.

You need the files in the format

file.part001.rar
    file.part002.rar

or

.r1
    .r2

to make it work.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    While this might be the case in rare occasions (as I'm fairly sure that most TL rars are compressed at normal or higher), I'm sure we're talking about mere kilobytes. Also, iirc most trackers upload it like that because they want to keep the scene files intact.
    You're right on the mere kilobytes part

Me, I'm really positive the RARs are all uncompressed. 7-Zip has always extracted them fast and shown the files' compressed sizes to be the same as their "real" ones. But then again, I'm certainly not an expert with Scene standards and guidelines...
    Thanks

Its a very nice site but its very hard to keep up with the ratio for low bandwidth users like me.Eventhough i seed for 3-4 days even for the newest torrents i can upload only 40-50% of the total download.Im planning to buy a seed box jst for the sake of keeping up ratio at TL
    Last edited by PowerStar; 20.11.10 at 12:46.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerStar View Post
    Im planning to buy a seed box jst for the sake of keeping up ratio at TL
    TL should be able to max out the upload speed on most seedboxes out there.

Another tip is downloading just one piece (the sample or first RAR of a torrent), and seeding a lot.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast