0/5 ssssss321
    smartphone... (android)...
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss111
    I dont know about you guys, but I certainly CANNOT play any FPS game with xbox controller (or dualshock) (autoaim anyone?). Keyboard + mouse are so strong.

Lets forget anyway about FPS and controller stuff, what about AA, AF, HD Textures, 1920x1080 resolution, dedicated servers vs player as hosts, 60 fps vs 30 fps (console) ...

I tell you, if you play BF3 or Skyrim, amongst many others, on console you gonna miss-a-lot.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blazedneg View Post
    I dont know about you guys, but I certainly CANNOT play any FPS game with xbox controller (or dualshock) (autoaim anyone?). Keyboard + mouse are so strong.

Lets forget anyway about FPS and controller stuff, what about AA, AF, HD Textures, 1920x1080 resolution, dedicated servers vs player as hosts, 60 fps vs 30 fps (console) ...

I tell you, if you play BF3 or Skyrim, amongst many others, on console you gonna miss-a-lot.
    90% of games these days are made for consoles and ported to PC. There are few games that actually do a lot better on pc, and at least half of those I don't even like.
    That being said, new consoles will probably arrive next year and will easily do everything you want and more. Hell, xbox and ps3 already do that.
    Also not sure why you'd want dedicated servers. The current system works and it works well.
    Finally, while keyboard and mouse obv allow you to react faster, when playing on a console, everyone is playing with the controller thus has the same disadvantage. It balances out and while at first I hated FPS on a console, I've come to play more FPS' on my xbox than on my PC.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss111
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    90% of games these days are made for consoles and ported to PC. There are few games that actually do a lot better on pc, and at least half of those I don't even like.
    Everything will do better at 1080 with AA and AF, only really bad ports dont improve on PC imo. Even Dark Souls is better due to scene or fan works.

That being said, new consoles will probably arrive next year and will easily do everything you want and more. Hell, xbox and ps3 already do that.
    New consoles wont do "everything you want", I'm pretty sure you will be able to build a fair better PC at the very release date of those, and if you wait a couple of months probably something even better. And I'm not gonna talk about the possibility of upgrades and improvements that PC gives you compared to consoles.

Also not sure why you'd want dedicated servers. The current system works and it works well.
    Ever exprimented a "migration host"? Lag? Host player slaughtering the shit outta you?

Finally, while keyboard and mouse obv allow you to react faster, when playing on a console, everyone is playing with the controller thus has the same disadvantage.
    I dont think thats a really good thing. What I meant anyway is that I'm totally useless with a xbox controller, I know some ppl are really good with it, just not my thing.

Greetings
    Last edited by Blazedneg; 08.09.12 at 21:44.
    Thanks

Everything will do better at 1080 with AA and AF, only really bad ports dont improve on PC imo. Even Dark Souls is better due to scene or fan works.
    Yeah, but as far as I know, consoles can do that as well.
    And do scene/fan works even count? I mean... That's nowhere near official. If the game devs deliver a really crappy game, it's in its original state a crappy game on both platforms. Also, in my experience, most ports are bad ports :( ...

New consoles wont do "everything you want", I'm pretty sure you will be able to build a fair better PC at the very release date of those, and if you wait a couple of months probably something even better. And I'm not gonna talk about the possibility of upgrades and improvements that PC gives you compared to consoles.
    Of course, but that pc will cost 3-4 times as much as the console. Plus consoles have the advantage that the games written are specifically for that hardware, so they can use it so much better than a game on the pc. The result is that you can get the same results with far worse hardware. Still, I must admit that games written specifically for the pc look 10 times better than the consoles versions. (e.g. The Witcher) but these are really scarse. Sadly enough :(

Ever exprimented a "migration host"? Lag? Host player slaughtering the shit outta you?
    Yes, but luckily not often enough to actually annoy me. Lag? Never so far. Host player goes for pc as well! :)

I dont think thats a really good thing. What I meant anyway is that I'm totally useless with a xbox controller, I know some ppl are really good with it, just not my thing.
    Simple explanation: I sucked too. Only after playing a lot with the controller, I got better with it. At this point, I score a lot better on a console FPS than a PC FPS too. But yeah, it seriously takes some time to get used to.

Anyway, it's all up to personal preference and I personally like an FPS better on the PC as well. It's just that there's a clear shift in the game world (one of the reasons is piracy) towards the consoles, and sadly that's very noticeable for the pc games. :( As for FPS' on the pc, I always play single player on max settings and multiplayer on lowest settings, just to get the max out of my framerate. So in my case, the graphical wonders don't even matter all that much :)
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazedneg
    but I certainly CANNOT play any FPS game with xbox controller
    and i will not
    keyboard+mouse is a superior solution for the majority of pc games (except fi. platform games, fighting games, racing,...)
    pc should be the proper platform for (more 'serious', more adult oriented) gaming, but when left to marketing/economy experts (pushing it excessively) & 'irresponsible' users/customers (supporting it excessively) we get the current distorted situation favoring consoles, porting problems, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy
    That being said, new consoles will probably arrive next year
    did i mention consumerism yet? ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy
    everyone is playing with the controller thus has the same disadvantage.
    c'mon you can't be serious about this last part somehow making the users more equal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    pc should be the proper platform for (more 'serious', more adult oriented) gaming, but when left to marketing/economy experts (pushing it excessively) & 'irresponsible' users/customers (supporting it excessively) we get the current distorted situation favoring consoles, porting problems, etc.
    Is that really so weird? It's really easy to torrent any game on the pc. It's a lot harder if you don't know what you're doing to do the same on the console. Most users won't be able to mod their console, while most can torrent a game. It doesn't surprise me at all that they're favoring consoles. Let's also not forget that most players are in fact casual players. Most casual players do prefer a console... PC games are currently more reserved for the die hard gamers, which most people just aren't. Most people I know just want to sit in the sofa for an hour and quickly play a game, then get on with their lives ^^

did i mention consumerism yet? ;P
    I was going to agree, but then I remembered I bought more pc's than consoles over the years. They've also been a lot more expensive ;-). But seriously, the current xbox came out in 2005. That's 7 years. In that time, I bought a new pc, a new laptop, I also received a way too expensive laptop from work, and am currently thinking about a tablet which I will probably have before getting a new xbox. During that time, I've also gotten a new graphics card for my pc since the one I got with it originally wasn't keeping up with my work requirements.

So if we really want to talk consumerism, I think the console is the better and way cheaper way to go.

c'mon you can't be serious about this last part somehow making the users more equal
    I'm not only being serious, it's a fact! Everyone has the same controller. On pc's, people are playing with mouses that cost 10 euro and mouses that costs 100+ euro. Needless to say, you really do notice a difference. This is something you don't have with consoles, thus making everyone more equal. It's not bullshit. The only way to have an advantage is to mod your controller, but imho that's the same as cheating.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 08.09.12 at 23:39.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    @Sazzy:

Let's also not forget that most players are in fact casual players. Most casual players do prefer a console...PC games are currently more reserved for the die hard gamers, which most people just aren't.
    pc can provide for both kinds of players and has done so successfully for a long time before the consoles arrived, whats more their arrival hasn't changed that either, especially not due to some console advantage (as already mentioned above)

So if we really want to talk consumerism, I think the console is the better and way cheaper way to go.
    yes, if one wants to continue their consumerist habits (though spending less than before and getting less as well)
    no, since consoles cannot offer the same as a pc can, not even in terms of their primary purpose (gaming)

I'm not only being serious, it's a fact! Everyone has the same controller. On pc's, people are playing with mouses that cost 10 euro and mouses that costs 100+ euro. Needless to say, you really do notice a difference. This is something you don't have with consoles, thus making everyone more equal.
    think about it, even if a 100 people had exactly the same console (and everything else hardware/network/software/... related too) there would still be enormous differences between them and their playing abilities/results, which means they would still be very unequal in the end, thus no attempt at equalizing like the above mentioned one can change this natural occurrence
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss111
    I just want to point out that this "pc are way more expensive than conoles" it's not so simple. Most people already got a PC in their home to surf the net, watch some movies probably and ofc office, etc. If you wanna build a gamer PC from nothing (and here you can go low, mid or high range) sure it will cost you a lot. If you already got a decent monitor, a decent case and a decent PSU the PC wont cost that much. Even if you got nothing, or nothing decent, once you invest in it the first time you will probably be upgrading each 3-4 years your rig and only the GPU, or if the difference is REALLY noticeable CPU+MOBO+MEM, but mostly GPU really.

So, if you already got a half decent PC just buy a new GPU and forgot about PS4 or xbox720.
    Thanks

pc can provide for both kinds of players and has done so successfully for a long time before the consoles arrived, whats more their arrival hasn't changed that either, especially not due to some console advantage (as already mentioned above)
    yes, if one wants to continue their consumerist habits (though spending less than before and getting less as well)
    no, since consoles cannot offer the same as a pc can, not even in terms of their primary purpose (gaming)
    think about it, even if a 100 people had exactly the same console (and everything else hardware/network/software/... related too) there would still be enormous differences between them and their playing abilities/results, which means they would still be very unequal in the end, thus no attempt at equalizing like the above mentioned one can change this natural occurrence
    No offense, but that's bullshit and you know it . Not only do some of your arguments contradict, a lot of them aren't based on facts at all or even relevant to the current discussion.

I just want to point out that this "pc are way more expensive than conoles" it's not so simple. Most people already got a PC in their home to surf the net, watch some movies probably and ofc office, etc. If you wanna build a gamer PC from nothing (and here you can go low, mid or high range) sure it will cost you a lot. If you already got a decent monitor, a decent case and a decent PSU the PC wont cost that much. Even if you got nothing, or nothing decent, once you invest in it the first time you will probably be upgrading each 3-4 years your rig and only the GPU, or if the difference is REALLY noticeable CPU+MOBO+MEM, but mostly GPU really.

So, if you already got a half decent PC just buy a new GPU and forgot about PS4 or xbox720.

But, it is that simple. CPU+MOBO+MEM+GPU is 95% of the pc. A pc just to surf the net will be nowhere near close the performance you were describing in your earlier posts. If you want BF3 on that level of performance, you will have to get at least a high end graphics card. One of those costs as much as a console does. Consoles also don't have to be upgraded 3-4 years. Current consoles are 7+ years old and not being replaced yet. PS4 for a couple of years at least, xbox maybe next year but that isn't all that clear either. They will be easily 8 years before "needing" replacement. And even then, look at the ps2. It had tons of (new) games even months after the release.

All in all, that's not really a fair comparison though. Even if you already had the pc, you still had to have bought it at some point. Next gen consoles will apparently also have browsers etc in them, so the simple surf pc's can be replaced by them as well. (With some luck, they even cost the same).
    Last edited by Sazzy; 09.09.12 at 12:51.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    @Sazzy:

No offense, but that's bullshit and you know it
    none taken, however what can be concluded from such a response is that you simply ran out of usable/relevant counterarguments

Even if you already had the pc, you still had to have bought it at some point.
    the purchase/usage of a pc in a household can be pretty much taken for granted (an average computer-literate family will most likely consider it a priority) - on the other hand, a console is certainly not its replacement, the console is an extra, an additional 'toy' used for gaming-only - with this in mind, the costs that are relevant for the comparison should only be related to the gaming aspect - for the console it is the full cost, for the pc it is that which has been purchased specifically to meet requirements for gaming (minus the cost of what would have been a non-gaming pc)

even regardless of this observation, check out these calculations/conclusions that take some other aspects into consideration:

Code:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/12/13/is-pc-gaming-really-more-expensive-than-consoles?page=2
    Next gen consoles will apparently also have browsers etc in them
    ...and the users will have the same disadvantage while surfing the net with console controllers ;P (couldn't resist the pun)
    Thanks

P2P Client
    BiglyBT
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssssss645
    there's no gaming console that can come near a high end pc gaming rig..
    what console has..
    sli graphics (multi graphics cards) example gtx690 sli card x2 or x3 or x4 ,
    solid state hard drives ,
    multi core processors (2 , 4, ,8 , 12) cores ,
    blazing fast ram memory as much as your motherboard can handle
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss111
    Quote Originally Posted by lil-fella View Post
    what console has..
    Yeah, pointless to argue with that.

The point is if a PC, or just an upgrade, at the same cost of a console can perform and look better. I think it does. And of course you get also all the extra functions the PC provides. That link above looks about right, and a £1200 rig is a goddamn good PC.

But, it is that simple. CPU+MOBO+MEM+GPU is 95% of the pc. A pc just to surf the net will be nowhere near close the performance you were describing in your earlier posts.
    My point was that if you got an almost decent PC, you dont need to buy a new monitor, peripherals or PSU and case, so CPU+MOBO+MEM+GPU isnt THAT MUCH. As I said earlier, you can build a low gaming PC (that will still outperform a console in every way imo) mid or high.

Also, you dont need to upgrade every 3-4 years, obviously in that time hardware will advance a lot. I dont really think is a good thing that consoles keep going with obsolete hardware for so long. Cripples the development, because as you said, industry is all about console nowadays. If a console doesnt need upgrades in 7 years I dont see why would a PC need it, specially if the PC is already better than every console out there. I guess I was talking more about my self there, I usually upgrade every 4 years . Things look better but isnt really a essential.

About new gen having browsers etc... they should really give up and go back to PC then ;D. Consoles feel like cut down version of the old good PCs.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    μTorrent 2.2.1
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss56
    Quote Originally Posted by lil-fella View Post
    what console has..
    Cannot wait for 12 cores and x4 sli ,,,,of course it will need lots of power....
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss111
    Quote Originally Posted by svartevarg View Post
    Cannot wait for 12 cores and x4 sli ,,,,of course it will need lots of power....

12 cores for gaming is a total waste...

x4 sli if you dont play at serious huge resolutions too.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast