+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideas for carrying large items that do not have handles?

Ideas for carrying large items that do not have handles?

As the title states, what would be some ideas to carry big items such as flat screen TVs, computer cases, etc that do not have handles.
    I'm looking for a universal DIY way to carry this kind of stuff. Off the top of my head I would say that a role of scotch tape wrapped around the object would effectively create a carrying handle for transportation. All of this assuming there are no sharp edges or anything that can break the scotch.

What are your thoughts?
    Thank you!
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Scotch tape is a decent solution, but can still break if the item is heavy or handled roughly. You could run packing rope along the short and long sides of the item, and then tie a knot that will serve as a handle. It is meant for this purpose and works very well.

I suppose simply carrying them in a wheeled cart could also work.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

The packaging rope is very good but it is not so easy to buy it, as it's not exactly a popular item.

I was thinking of scotch tape because you could easily find it at any convenience store.

Scotch tape is a decent solution, but can still break if the item is heavy or handled roughly.
    Even if you use the entire role?
    Thanks

When you mentioned DIY earlier, was it because you are on a budget? Or is it you not knowing what to get? If it is the latter, I would recommend tote bag such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Transpo.../dp/B01CVSXLKO

Of course, I didn't buy mine from Amazon, I got it from a local market (have you seen the price on that thing). I can easily switch between my Acer and Dell despite Acer being (fat as f*uck=old model) and Dell (new=slim).

If you are on a budget, Try to gain an old/new carry bag which preferably has straps which can lock down the appliance. Make sure this bag is larger than all your accessories. However, not large enough for the appliance to wiggle about. This should be it.

I would strongly recommend against the scotch tape. If you keep it on consistently which using your appliance, there's a chance of overheating, and then there's the melting point of the tape. Plus would you want to be the guy walking around with a scotch taped laptop?

Similar experience: I once tried running the cooling fan of my PC via a USB cable internally, needless to say, it melted and eventually got stuck to the motherboard.

I strongly advise you not to modify your appliance by attaching handles, duct tapes, drilling holes or anything similar, especially if your warranty has not expired. If it has (expired) then it is your choice on what you want to do.
    ~cloud99
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    The packaging rope is very good but it is not so easy to buy it, as it's not exactly a popular item.
    It can't be that hard either, just find a place that has it and stockpile a few rolls, so that you'll be covered for this occasion and future ones.

Even if you use the entire role?
    I never tried that, but it sounds like a hindrance to do.
    Thanks

When you mentioned DIY earlier, was it because you are on a budget? Or is it you not knowing what to get? If it is the latter, I would recommend tote bag such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Transpo.../dp/B01CVSXLKO
    No, it's nothing of the kind.
    Consider the following situation:
    A friend calls me saying he has an old desktop that I might like but he has no way of transporting it to me. So I need to come up with a simple, cheap, available solution to give to him so that he can transport it to me. For these things, we basically meet half-way (half distance between me and him) and exchange stuff.
    I can't exactly say to him buy some specific transport kit off a website and bring it. However, if I tell him "go downstairs to your local store and buy 2 roles of scotch tape and transport it to me", it will work fine.

It can't be that hard either, just find a place that has it and stockpile a few rolls, so that you'll be covered for this occasion and future ones.
    I would be good when I'm doing the carrying, but please read above.

I never tried that, but it sounds like a hindrance to do.
    Of course it is, but it has to work with household stuff.

I would strongly recommend against the scotch tape. If you keep it on consistently which using your appliance, there's a chance of overheating, and then there's the melting point of the tape. Plus would you want to be the guy walking around with a scotch taped laptop?

I strongly advise you not to modify your appliance by attaching handles, duct tapes, drilling holes or anything similar, especially if your warranty has not expired. If it has (expired) then it is your choice on what you want to do.
    It'll not be permanent. If I choose to use scotch tape, I'll just use it for transporting it from point a to point b. After it reaches the destination, the scotch comes off.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    No, it's nothing of the kind.
    Consider the following situation:
    A friend calls me saying he has an old desktop that I might like but he has no way of transporting it to me. So I need to come up with a simple, cheap, available solution to give to him so that he can transport it to me. For these things, we basically meet half-way (half distance between me and him) and exchange stuff.
    I can't exactly say to him buy some specific transport kit off a website and bring it. However, if I tell him "go downstairs to your local store and buy 2 roles of scotch tape and transport it to me", it will work fine.
    Oh, so the ideas are for an unprepared third party, not you Well, I guess many loops of scotch tape are the next best thing. Eco-friendly bags (the kind they offer at supermarkets as an alternative to plastic ones) are also pretty tough, if available.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss3
    I'd recommend taping some new (Black) plastic refuse bags around object. Then using duct tape as handles. One long strip on top, making the handle shape and sticking in place. then shorter piece for the underside of the handle (onto the exposed sticky side). Works a treat.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

anon (18.10.17) , Master Razor (18.10.17)

That's actually pretty good. Some high-quality thick garbage bags and some scotch could do wonders around sharp edges.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 8/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss3
    Just thought of a little tweak to the duct tape handles. You could use some old electrical cable cuts or some rolled paper as filling for the handles if the object is on the heavier side. Just to give it more grip and less of the tape digging into your hand. Also, if the object is really heavy, I'd run some duct tape down and under the object (once plastic bags are in place) to strengthen the handles...otherwise, they might just rip off the plastic (lots of gym bags have handstraps that run underneath this way for lifting heavier things.) Good luck with it! :)
    Last edited by jimmyjiggy80; 19.10.17 at 14:46.
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (19.10.17)

+ Reply to Thread