PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence failures crippling fight against insurgents in Afghanistan, says report

SealLion
12.03.09, 04:59
There's always more than one reason why wars fail. This is just one of them.

Here's a short excert:

.........Based on scores of interviews with British, US, Canadian and Dutch military, intelligence and diplomatic officials - and marked for "official use only" - the book-length report is damning of a US military often unwilling to share intelligence among its military allies. It depicts commanders in the field being overwhelmed by information on hundreds of contradictory databases, and sometimes resistant to intelligence generated by its own agents in the CIA. ........Counterinsurgency efforts are also shown as being at the mercy of local contacts peddling identical "junk" tips around various intelligence officials, with the effectiveness of the intelligence effort being quantified by some senior officers solely in terms of the amount of "tip money" disbursed to sources. .......

I know that what is happening in Afghanistan is unfortunate, families and kids, and husbands dyeing. People becoming displaced, etc..etc...corruption is rampant,..etc...etc.

Honestly, that war can't be won.

The British didn't win against any insurgents there in the 1800's ( I think that's when it occurred), the Russians didn't get anywhere in their offensive against the Mujaheddin. I don't think that the Coalition will either.

Nevertheless,
The link is here. Its a moderate length read. But its a fairly interesting one.

Wikileaks Link is here:

Intelligence failures crippling fight against insurgents in Afghanistan, says report - Wikileaks (http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Intelligence_failures_crippling_fight_against_insu rgents_in_Afghanistan%2C_says_report)