PDA

View Full Version : 10 things you should do before and after re-installing your OS

kazuya
28.02.09, 22:33
#1 Backing up files

If you have a habit of saving all the files in My Documents, This is your first step. Check out all possible folders like My Pictures, My Music and copy whichever is required to some other folder. You will loose data as they are in same drive where you will install the OS.

#2 Saving your configuration and profile files

In most of the software’s the facility to backup profiles or software configuration is present. Now in case you are going to install the software after re installation, You ,must do it so that you don’t loose your optimized settings and save time.

#3 Saving all your download folders and files

By default all softwares and settings are made to save files somewhere in C directory. Now lets say you downloaded a complete setup of itunes which is around 50 MB and saved in C:download, If you don’t back it up you will have to re download that which will be ultimate waste of time.

So in case you have any thing like this save it.

#4 Re think on Partition Size.

Now lets say You have re installed as you don’t have much space left and You decided to reinstall everything and install only the required once to save space. Since you are going to re install its a better idea to increase the size of you partition . You might need some professional help or somebody who knows how to do this, but it will help you in long run.

#5 Note down things you need to install after this

Now since we have backed up everything and its ready to go . This one step you must follow.

Make a list of things you will be installing after reinstallation is over. Here is QUICK LIST

* DRIVERS
* Antivirus and Spywares
* Browsers and addons.
* Office Suites
* Media Players and updates.
* Rest of the things.

It gives you an idea of general things, You can change the list according to your need

Steps after reinstallation

#6 Follow the list

We made this in 5th point. This will make you more organized and aware what you did. You will also not forget to install some important things.

#7 Time to use the backup and get organized.

In The first step we were backing up all the things right! In case you need to follow the steps every time you reinstall its not good. So lets see a way were can organize things

* Divide things into category e.g 1. Pictures 2. Music. 3. Documents and more if you require.
* Create Folders in any other drive except C ( where your windows is installed ) and has more space.
* Now sort the files which we backed up in first step and put them into their respective folder.

Moreover from now on you should save all your files in these folders and not in My documents. Trust me this will not only save your time but data and make searches easy.

#8 Re configure your software profiles and settings

This step use all the configuration files to get back your default settings of the software you used like Free download manager, firs fox and IE. Look for import utility in those softwares

#9 Creating a restore point

If you are using windows, use Restore facility to create a restore point. This will help you out in case your system does not work after installing some software or is not working for some unknown reason.

#10 Double Check everything

This last step is for your assurance. Double check all the things and backed up files, If you are done with them and sure you did not miss any of them, Delete the backed up folders and files. Keep the list in some good place which will help you next time.

With my experience I have followed the list from a long time now. It really helps in saving my time and data all the time. I seen this problem being faced ny lot of computer users and hope it helps and save a lot of time.

slikrapid
04.03.09, 01:37
#1 'copy ... to some other folder' - this backup folder should be on another partition (D, E, ...) or removable media, NOT on C!
#2,3 - same as #1

when formatting c prior to installing the OS its advisable to use the quick format option as it may take quite a while to format otherwise

#9 your first restore point should be right after OS installation

it is also advisable that c partition is used ONLY for installing software, meaning that your downloads/documents/... should be on other partitions - this way you don't need to backup them for an OS re-installation

all these steps take a lot of time, i wonder if there is some backup/reinstall software that would automatically do some/all of these steps :shockkk!:
i can only think of ghosting the c partition before an OS failure occurs

mammamia11
13.03.09, 19:53
if you will use vista then u need at least 150 GB, i have 100 Gb C partition for vista system but its not enoough because if u are game then games now days take at least 7+Gb, windows vista take ~25Gb.

softjit
13.03.09, 21:50
Its hardly we remember what tolls did we use last time and then search out for the most reqs ones every time after a reinstall,atleast it happens with me 9 out of 10 times