PDA

View Full Version : BTJunkie - Leaking Your Private Tracker Accounts?

anon
13.02.09, 22:27
It's never a good idea to use a public torrent site to login to your private trackers. While it may seem convenient to use one central site to manage all of your private accounts (for searching purposes / downloading external torrents), this means you're trusting them with your account details - and also with your passkey from the torrrents. Very popular BTJunkie.org (http://btjunkie.org/) is one such torrent website that allows for registered users to create an account, setup your private trackers (by submitting your username and password for each), and proceed to search for & download torrents.

According to at least one private tracker owner, BTJunkie is "actually harvesting your private ID (passkey) from your .torrent files". Not only can your accounts be compromised, but it can have adverse effects on your ratio - since your torrent passkeys are being shared & used publicly.

BTJunkie - Leaking Your Private Tracker Accounts? | FileShareFreak (http://filesharefreak.com/2009/02/13/btjunkie-leaking-your-private-tracker-accounts/)

CC asked everyone to change their passkey, but other trackers may instaban your account the second they see an IP out of your normal range announce a torrent. Be careful people!

shoulder
13.02.09, 22:32
I don't understand people using such sites.
I mean, if you care about your accounts, is it too much to log in and search for a file by hand on each site?

Also, doesn't that look like a huge dupe accounts collection for the tracker because I'm sure more than one member is using this site to browse a certain site?

anon
13.02.09, 22:42
I don't understand people using such sites.
I mean, if you care about your accounts, is it too much to log in and search for a file by hand on each site?

Same here. A 3rd party site asking me for my private tracker user & password would have been enough to back off for me.

Also, doesn't that look like a huge dupe accounts collection for the tracker because I'm sure more than one member is using this site to browse a certain site?

I think that since the private tracker accounts you add are bound to your BTJunkie account, only you should be able to browse them from BTJ. But as the .torrents with your passkey are made public, the tracker will see a lot of different leeching/seeding IPs using the same account.

shoulder
13.02.09, 22:45
I meant another point. :tongue:

For example I use BTJ to browse for example revTT with my account, and you do the same with your account.
For the tracker it should look like two accs are sharing the same IP, therefore dupe accounts and a ban is given.

Or is there any measure to avoid this?

anon
14.02.09, 16:13
For example I use BTJ to browse for example revTT with my account, and you do the same with your account.
For the tracker it should look like two accs are sharing the same IP, therefore dupe accounts and a ban is given.

Unless they have a big server park, so it'll be.

Or is there any measure to avoid this?

Yes - don't register any ALT accounts to your BTJunkie one. :biggrin:

shoulder
14.02.09, 23:20
Yes - don't register any ALT accounts to your BTJunkie one. :biggrin:
I wasn't going to. :tongue:

So, in short I recommend everyone not to use such sites, neither BTJ nor any other side asking for your account details. :wink2:

Aurion
16.02.09, 17:16
Actually I noticed that @ SCT with some guys over there,they got their accounts recovered back doing miracles after they got auto banned on loging in .... what a shame this could turn the experience to :frown: