PDA

View Full Version : bona fide useless framework ???

SealLion
08.02.09, 04:06
I was forced, to say the least, to download framework 3.5 recently after my computer was out of business for a while recently.

going to the MS download center didn't give much info to its necessity other than to tell me a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

Here, have a look at this. Its all foreign to me, I'd say:

* Deep integration of Language Integrated Query (LINQ) and data awareness. This new feature will let you write code written in LINQ-enabled languages to filter, enumerate, and create projections of several types of SQL data, collections, XML, and DataSets by using the same syntax.
* ASP.NET AJAX lets you create more efficient, more interactive, and highly-personalized Web experiences that work across all the most popular browsers.
* New Web protocol support for building WCF services including AJAX, JSON, REST, POX, RSS, ATOM, and several new WS-* standards.
* Full tooling support in Visual Studio 2008 for WF, WCF, and WPF, including the new workflow-enabled services technology.
* New classes in .NET Framework 3.5 base class library (BCL) that address many common customer requests.

Heres' the link:

Download details: .NET Framework 3.5 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en)

so after all that, does anyone believe or know for certain whether or not framework 3.5 is actually necessary??

I"m really tempted to uninstall the damn thing.

This thing was over 240 MB in size.

I'm of the opinion that perhaps this framework is designed for developers perhaps.

Or perhaps for integration for better software management. If that's the case, then perhaps, it may be good to have, though not necessarily important to have.

This OS is Frakk'ed to say the least.

hitman
08.02.09, 14:49
did you had winxp? what was the connection that you have been forced to install 3.5?

SealLion
08.02.09, 15:49
oh, ya. I have xp.

I'm just on a regular LAN if that's what you mean.

I could uninstall the thing if I'd want to.

I'm just in the process of researching all that mumbo-jumbo computer jargon to see what it all means and if I will be actually needing the framework 3.5

I"d hate to see it slow down my machine if the framework is not even needed in being on my computer.

anon
08.02.09, 16:39
I'd say that if none of the apps you normally use needs v3.5, you uninstall it. I don't understand a word in that changelog either, but programmers do, and their apps will refuse to start if they make use of those technologies :biggrin:

You can always know which versions of the .NET Framework you have installed by going to Start -> Run... typing %windir%\Microsoft.Net\Framework and pressing ENTER.

SealLion
08.02.09, 17:20
well, what I"ve found out in my research re: asp.net and ajax are that these are basically used for web development.

WCF is basically for data exchange and choice of encoding options

How the hell does MS get the idea that every home user is going to use these applications??

I believe it would make more sense to allow it as an option to download rather than encumber the typical user with an application thats over 240 MB in size.

Damn stupid, I"d say!!

anon
08.02.09, 17:24
well, what I"ve found out in my research re: asp.net and ajax are that these are basically used for web development.

Yes, that's right - without going further, the Thanks button uses AJAX to refresh and update the "who said thanks" list. :biggrin:

How the hell does MS get the idea that every home user is going to use these applications??

I believe it would make more sense to allow it as an option to download rather than encumber the typical user with an application thats over 240 MB in size.

Damn stupid, I"d say!!

I think the same, too. Same goes for Silverlight - Windows Update forces it on you as a update you can't live without or something, when so far I have found only one site that uses it. :eek13:

SealLion
08.02.09, 20:54
ah, I see.

So when I do this using the built in script a.k.a AJAX:

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7417/thankstu1.png

It does this:

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/662/whosaidthanksvd0.png

LOL. Never knew that anon.

Gotta have fun, eh?

anon
08.02.09, 20:57
No - the "who said thanks" is always there if at least one person has thanked that post. But when you press it, it's AJAX that refreshes (in case someone else has also thanked it after you loaded the page) and adds your name to the list.

SealLion
08.02.09, 21:02
ah, now I see.

Its AJAX that acts as the refresher to the newest information in place on that page.

anon
08.02.09, 21:05
Correct. :top:

AJAX also makes the "add to reputation" dialog appear, refreshes the Tags list when you add some to your threads, shows the "your post is too short" or "you must enter a subject", etc. warning, and a lot more.