PDA

View Full Version : TopBT on Vuze - A Topology-Aware BitTorrent Client

anon
25.01.09, 01:22
In an article published back in October, we reported (http://filesharefreak.com/2008/10/31/top-bt-a-bittorrent-client-to-double-download-speeds/) about a new technology for BitTorrent called TopBT. TopBT was originally built on LH-ABC, an open-source BitTorrent client - but it has been vastly improved into a new version of Vuze. Unlike most currently existing popular BitTorrent clients such as Vuze, BitTorrent™, and µTorrent, the unique feature of TopBT is, it actively discovers its network proximity to its connected peers. It does so through actively sending packets to those peers, and inspecting their responses. Besides the topology-awareness, TopBT also considers network transmission rates to its peers, so that it can download fast. Not only that, but TopBT also saves unnecessary BitTorrent traffic that clogs up the Internet, which is great for those who are bandwidth-capped by their ISP. But is TopBT faster than µTorrent? In our tests: Yes.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1911/topbt5gc1.gif

TopBT on Vuze - A Topology-Aware BitTorrent Client | FileShareFreak (http://filesharefreak.com/2009/01/23/topbt-on-vuze-a-topology-aware-bittorrent-client/)

hitman
26.01.09, 20:51
i doubt that its possible to make an equal test. the higher dl speed could have different causes. hm

anon
26.01.09, 21:02
Yes, that's possible, specially because as someone mentioned in the article, most BT clients don't allow more than one connection from the same IP - this would give TopBT an edge if it's the client that was run first during the test.

They should ideally test both programs in separate computers with individual Internet connections, I think.

Aurion
27.01.09, 13:34
I've read about this technology while ago but didn't imagine that they would carry it down that fast ... I believe that such large portion of this new technology does aim to increasing bandwith speeds by sending brackets to peers,receiving them once again,testing & evaluating who has highest speeds & then sorting them based on that .... etc which will eventually lead to slight different if we talked speeds!

CoreCore
27.01.09, 14:11
very interesting info. will pass it over to some of my friends

anon
27.01.09, 19:00
I believe that such large portion of this new technology does aim to increasing bandwith speeds by sending brackets to peers,receiving them once again,testing & evaluating who has highest speeds & then sorting them based on that .... etc which will eventually lead to slight different if we talked speeds!

So it is :top: It could also make P2P traffic a bit more ISP-friendly - if there are a lot of peers from your same provider in the swarm, TopBT would give them preference, which would both increase your speeds and lower their external bandwidth costs.

The Ono plugin also does this - but last time I checked it ran several ping and traceroute instances in the background all the time... I guess it needed to do this to calculate latencies and determine which peers are closer to you, respectively.

Aurion
31.01.09, 05:14
So it is :top: It could also make P2P traffic a bit more ISP-friendly - if there are a lot of peers from your same provider in the swarm, TopBT would give them preference, which would both increase your speeds and lower their external bandwidth costs.

Yeah,I believe that's what they're recently fighting to accomplish,so I wish them the best luck to get over such a new technology & make it happens!

The Ono plugin also does this - but last time I checked it ran several ping and traceroute instances in the background all the time... I guess it needed to do this to calculate latencies and determine which peers are closer to you, respectively.

Shouldn't that be disbaled already to save bandwith ?

anon
31.01.09, 16:14
Shouldn't that be disbaled already to save bandwith ?

Ono isn't a built-in plugin, you have to download and install it yourself.

Tinkle
02.02.09, 04:15
though it sounds intereting does it uses resources as much as azureus does or is it resource efficient like utorrent
:P:

anon
02.02.09, 15:47
It uses as much resources as Azureus, since it's based on it. :wink2: