PDA

View Full Version : FireTorrent - Firefox addon

Butcho
19.12.08, 19:14
Mit der Firefox-Erweiterung FireTorrent können Sie im Browser Downloads über das BitTorrent-Protokoll vornehmen, ohne dass eine zusätzliche Software wie etwa Azureus dafür installiert sein muss. Sobald ein Link mit der Endung .torrent angeklickt wird, startet die Datenübertragung direkt im Download-Manager des Mozilla Firefox. Eine ähnliche Funktion besitzt auch der Browser Opera...

Download (http://www.netzwelt.de/software-chooser/8946_2-firetorrent.html)

Weiterlesen

(http://www.netzwelt.de/software/8946-firetorrent.html)

anon
19.12.08, 19:33
This extension was the object of a TorrentFreak article (http://torrentfreak.com/firetorrent-brings-bittorrent-to-firefox-081218/) recently. It uses the libtorrent library, integrates itself to Firefox's default download manager, and is currently in alpha phase. There's no preferences dialog - your downloads are saved to the Desktop - and upload is hard limited to 15kB/s. Here's an screenshot and announce dump:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6666/firetorrentko9.gif

Started:

GET /announce?info_hash=*&peer_id=-LT0E00-YWq*BOXt_il.&port=6881&uploaded=0&downloaded=0&left=728221696&event=started&key=e86ffd97&compact=1&numwant=200&ipv6=&no_peer_id=1 HTTP/1.0
Host:torrent.ubuntu.com
User-Agent: libtorrent/0.14.0.0
Connection: close

HTTP/1.0 200 OK

Stopped:

GET /announce?info_hash=*&peer_id=-LT0E00-YWq*BOXt_il.&port=6881&uploaded=0&downloaded=316371&left=728221696&event=stopped&key=e86ffd97&compact=1&numwant=0&ipv6=&no_peer_id=1 HTTP/1.0
Host:torrent.ubuntu.com
User-Agent: libtorrent/0.14.0.0
Connection: close

HTTP/1.0 200 OK

orayan
22.02.09, 12:21
is it allowed by the trackers

anon
22.02.09, 16:23
It's based on libtorrent, the same library rTorrent and Halite use - but since it uses a port that's banned in most private trackers (6881), I wouldn't recommend you risk your accounts.

SealLion
22.02.09, 20:19
In this case, you could only try it on Public Torrent sites. Maybe some small private torrent sites that no-one's ever heard of would allow the usage of this extension.

I have read of this extension before. It does seem pretty interesting, though.

On the one hand, what I have noticed is that the larger an extension is for FF, the longer it will take to load up the browser as a whole.

How big is this extension, if I might ask??

And I think that Butcho is also mentioning there in the quote that this same extension is also being looked at for Opera Browser, yes??

anon
22.02.09, 20:23
How big is this extension, if I might ask??

772KB.

And I think that Butcho is also mentioning there in the quote that this same extension is also being looked at for Opera Browser, yes??

No, he says that it's similar to Opera's torrent downloading function. :biggrin:

SealLion
22.02.09, 22:25
No, he says that it's similar to Opera's torrent downloading function.

Ah, yes.....excuse my poor German, yes??

I was kind of reading as best as I could with my limited German. All I saw was the word 'Opera'. LOL. :biggrin:

And if that's the case with OPera's torrenyt DL manager, well, IMO, it ain't all that fantastic, I might add.

And now that we're in a discussion about download managers, there was a fairly good one that I had with FF once before, though by the life of me, I can't recall it.

Well. It was one extension too many as I recall, anon. .....it got deleted like the other extensions that I stopped using after awhile.

there is a good RS download manager that integrates itself well with FF when using the greasemonkey extension. Saw it on FSF.

anon
22.02.09, 22:33
And if that's the case with OPera's torrenyt DL manager, well, IMO, it ain't all that fantastic, I might add.

Yes, it can help you get a torrent when you're on a rush and/or no "real" BitTorrent client is at hand (and as a matter of fact it's done so for me several times), but most private trackers don't accept it.

And now that we're in a discussion about download managers, there was a fairly good one that I had with FF once before, though by the life of me, I can't recall it.

Well. It was one extension too many as I recall, anon. .....it got deleted like the other extensions that I stopped using after awhile.

Is it DownThemAll?

SealLion
23.02.09, 00:47
Yes, by George!!!:biggrin:

Now that you've jogged my memory of its name, that was the name of it.

It actually was not that bad, its just that since FF already has a built in DL manager, I figured 'why not uninstall DTA' and let FF do what its built in elements are capable of doing without some add-on doing the same job.

anon
23.02.09, 15:53
It actually was not that bad, its just that since FF already has a built in DL manager, I figured 'why not uninstall DTA' and let FF do what its built in elements are capable of doing without some add-on doing the same job.

But Firefox's built-in download manager is very basic. DTA has almost the same features as a separate product, like segmented downloading, speed graph, download all the links in a page, etc.

SealLion
24.02.09, 02:17
ya, I know. The thing is that I don't really care for a speed graph.

In all honesty, I could care less what a speed graph says.

I mean really.
What's a speed graph gonna do for me??....make my breakfast?? LOL. :rolling_eyes:LOL

And with respect to downloading all the links, I don't download all links on any given website. I just DL what I want from what-ever link there is.

A basic set-up is good for me, though.

I like FF, though what I find is that a lot of the extensions have elements and options that don't always work right.

Even after having been on the extension download page for a long time AND having been available for user's for a long time as well. Which obviously gave the developer a lot of time to fix things with the extension.

Here's an example:

I used to have All In One Sidebar. A good extension, though no matter how many times I tried to correct it's behavior so as to have the side bare close upon mouse contact, it just wouldn't. I'd have to physically close it by clicking the "X'.
And then there were times when it did behave as per the setting's I gave it.

I got tired of its erratic behaviour and decided to do without it.

Anon. When I get tired of something not behaving the way its desingened to or not doing the function that its designed to, I rid it of, off my machine.

Seriously. My patience goes only so far, Even with technology.

Not every browser and/ or its extension is perfect, I know.

Even Opera is not all that perfect. There's times when it won't even automatically log in when its designed to do so on a given login page. You can wait a long time, sometimes.

And then you'd have to physically click on 'login' as opposed to the browser automatically doing it for you, you know what I mean??

anon
24.02.09, 17:32
ya, I know. The thing is that I don't really care for a speed graph.

In all honesty, I could care less what a speed graph says.

I mean really.
What's a speed graph gonna do for me??....make my breakfast?? LOL. :rolling_eyes:LOL

And with respect to downloading all the links, I don't download all links on any given website. I just DL what I want from what-ever link there is.

A basic set-up is good for me, though.

But don't you like segmented downloading? It can make you get your stuff faster :tongue:

Not every browser and/ or its extension is perfect, I know.

Even Opera is not all that perfect. There's times when it won't even automatically log in when its designed to do so on a given login page. You can wait a long time, sometimes.

And then you'd have to physically click on 'login' as opposed to the browser automatically doing it for you, you know what I mean??

I think so, but that's never happened to me :confused: Not that I use Opera's wand too much, anyway. I care about most of the sites that require a password I'm on (SB-I, trackers, etc.) and I think that if you do as well, you won't entrust them to a .dat file that's really easy to crack (unless you set a master password, but that's annoying).

Talking about Firefox, I have started using it again with the help of a very nice user from here yesterday, and I must say I'm really satisfied with it. It's fast, extremely customizable, and gets the job done. Furthermore, there are a lot of addons to extend it, be it trivial things like skins or PopupSound, or serious privacy stuff like NoScript, AdBlock Plus, CustomizeGoogle, Modify HTTP Headers, etc.

For example, one trick I really liked having applied to Opera is to keep the whole cache in RAM (I can take the resource usage hit :tongue:) instead of writing some of it to disk (which is a nice privacy feature) is also possible in FF:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6383/memcache.gif

Also, there's a lot of info about me and my system that sites shouldn't know about. This is easily solved as well:
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3804/httpfilter.gif

SB-I Browser ftw :biggrin:

idigiti
27.02.09, 06:40
is it secure to use with firefox

anon
27.02.09, 16:15
I haven't had any problems when I tried it. Just don't use it on private trackers (check post #8).

hontoCorti
01.03.09, 16:45
maybe they add some options in the future versions to change the port and upload rate...

till then it's quite useless for real torrenting i think,)