PDA

View Full Version : Process Explorer

SealLion
07.12.08, 05:27
an excellent freeware proggy that I came across that is released from Microsoft that replaces, with greater options, the default Process Manager.

Download from here:

Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx)

If you did download the proggy, you may enable it to replace the default Task Manager by unselecting in OPTIONS>"CONFIRM KILL {this was defaulted after I installed the thing.} to REPLACE TASK MANAGER

Btw...its a proggy that is a 'non-installer', meaning it doesn't come with an installer. So you;ll have to place this program in a location such as your program files or some other location on your computer.

Also, if you do decide to use this proggy as a replacement for your
task manager, clicking on the graphs atop gives a great impression of this program. Loads very, very quickly. Very small program.

Enjoy if you like it. ......And now.....back to cheating:biggrin:

anon
07.12.08, 16:55
Process Explorer for the win - I like its tree-like layout, which lets you see which program ran that process. It is also very customizable, unlike Windows' default task manager, and can even read strings from processes' executable images and memory spaces. :top:

Oh, and because I once wondered what the "replace task manager" option did to, well, replace the Task Manager too, it creates a registry key which declares Process Explorer itself as taskmgr.exe's debugger:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskmgr.exe]
"Debugger"="\"C:\\process_explorer\\PRCVIEW.EXE\""

This way it makes sure it runs with "taskmgr.exe" as a command-line parameter, which it ignores, when the original Task Manager was supposed to be opened. The disadvantage of this method is that it'll do this for every EXE with that name - try renaming notepad.exe to taskmgr.exe and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc with this option enabled.