PDA

View Full Version : [Guide] What every file in eMule's folder is and does

anon
16.11.08, 21:47
Most of the files eMule uses are generated during setup, others when it's run or during runtime, and there are other, optional files you'd need to create and/or add manually, should you need them.

This is a list of the official version's filenames, ordered alphabetically. These files can be either in the folder where emule.exe is, or in the config subfolder. Files of critical importance are marked with two asterisks (**), and those whose existence is convenient with one asterisk (*). Those that MUST NOT BE ERASED when updating eMule, because of being related to the secure identification or credit systems, are flagged as such - you have to copy them if you're installing a new version or mod to a different folder.

AC_BootstrapIPs.dat: saves Kad bootstrapping IPs you may have entered in the Kad panel.

AC_IPFilterUpdateURLs.dat: saves ipfilter.dat download URLs you may have entered at Options -> Security -> Update from URL.

AC_SearchStrings.dat: saves all your search queries as long as Auto completion (Options -> Display) is enabled.

AC_ServerMetURLs.dat: saves server.met download URLs you may have entered under "Update server.met from URL" in the Servers panel.

AC_VF_RegExpr.dat: saves all regular expressions entered under "Regular expression for view filter" when adding or editing categories, so that they're displayed by the auto completion feature if any matches with the RegEx you write.

addresses.dat (*): it could either be empty, or contain valid URLs for updating the server.met file. It's better not to delete it.

cancelled.met: saves all your cancelled downloads as long as "Remember cancelled files" is ticked at Options -> Files. These will be colored green in searches.

category.ini: stores your categories' characteristics: names, comments and/or colors.

clients.met (**) (DON'T DELETE): stores the public keys of users who have credits in your eMule install. It's critical to confirm a SUI (secure user identification) and assure correct credit usage from both parties. It's used for this purpose along your private key stored in the cryptkey.dat file. There's a clients.met.bak backup file which you can use to recover this should the original be corrupted.

collectioncryptkey.dat: the first time you create and digitally sign a collection in eMule, an unique 1024-bit RSA key is generated, to be used in all future collections you further create and sign, identifying you as their author. That key is saved in this file.

cryptkey.dat (**) (DON'T DELETE): stores the 384-bit private RSA key used when "Use secure identification" is ticked at Options -> Security. eMule will then use an asymmetrical encryption which prevents manipulating other users' hashes. This key will be generated when SUI is enabled, which is the default. If you lose/delete this file, your credits will be gone with it, and you'll also have to delete preferences.dat.

downloads.txt: it's automatically created in the same folder emule.exe is. This file contains a list of the xxx.part files and the eD2K link associated to every one of them, that correspond to your active downloads. It's updated every time eMule is started and when a download finishes or is removed. A backup copy, downloads.bak, exists, and is to be used if the original is corrupted or you're having problems with .part files.

emfriends.met (*): stores information about users we have added to our friend list, such as nick, IP, port and userhash, which helps us locate them in the eD2K network and identify them as such. It's better not to delete it as you'll lose your friend list.

eMule.log: this file is created in the Log subdirectory if "Save log to disk" is ticked at Options -> Extended is ticked, and will have the contents of the Log tab in the Servers panel.

eMule.tmpl, eMule Light.tmpl, Multiuser eMule.tmpl: these are templates used to define the options shown and their positions shown in the eMule Web Interface. The one you choose in the "Template" field at Options -> Web Interface will be used.

eMule_Verbose.log: this file is created in the Log subdirectory if "Save log to disk" and "Enabled" (under "Verbose - additional program feedback") are ticked at Options -> Extended, and will have the contents of the Verbose tab in the Servers panel.

fileinfo.ini: stores the comments and/or ratings you may have done for files at the Shared Files tab, along their corresponding file hash. If you stop sharing a commented/rated file, this information will still be saved here, but won't be shown to other users anymore.

ipfilter.dat: contains IPs or ranges eMule is allowed to connect to (or not) to upload and download from and to, according their filter level (≥127 = allowed, <127 = blocked), so that it will filter IPs and negate connections to those with a filter level below 127, the default value.

key_index.dat: it is created the first time you connect to Kad, and contains the keywords of files shared by your sources. Apart from this, it'll store the source's keyword, file name, size, etc. for every one of them. It's saved every time you disconnect from Kad.

known2_64.met: contains information about all the files you're downloading and have downloaded, necessary for the AICH function to be effective at handling corruption. This file appears with v0.47a to be able to manage files bigger than 4GB (up to 256GB), the maximum file limit eMule would allow until then. When updating from a <0.47a version to this one or higher, the old known2.met file, which played the same corruption handling role, will be converted to known2_64.met.

known.met (**): it stores information about all the files our eMule "knows", either because they've been finished or are in the process of downloading, as long as the "Remember downloaded files" option is checked at Options -> Files.

load_index.dat: it is created the first time you connect to Kad, and contains the keywords of other Kad clients' IDs (KeyIDs), as well at the last seen date. It's saved every time you disconnect from Kad.

nodes.dat: stores the IPs and IDs of active contacts (nodes) established through the Kad network. This file changes every time Kad makes new searches, adds new nodes and deletes inactive ones. You can get a fresh one here (http://www.nodes-dat.com/).

onlinesig.dat: it is created when "Enable online signature" is ticked at Options -> General, and can be used as an IRC script or signature image in forums, showing some of your eMule's runtime data.

preferences.dat (**) (DON'T DELETE): contains your eD2K userhash. If you lose/delete this file, your credits will be gone with it, and you'll also have to delete cryptkey.dat.

preferences.ini (**): stores your eMule settings.

preferencesKad.dat (**) (DON'T DELETE): contains your Kad userhash.

PreviewApps.dat: you have to create this file yourself manually inside your eMule's config folder. It is used to preview different file types with different programs according their extension.

SearchSpam.met: stores which files we have marked as spam, right-clicking a file and choosing "Mark as Spam" in the search window.

server.met (**): stores the server list (names, IPs and ports), critical for eMule to be able to connect to the eD2K network. You can get a fresh one here (http://www.server-met.de/).

shareddir.dat: stores all the manually shared directories.

src_index.dat: it is created the first time you connect to the Kad network, and contains your sources' keyword index. It's saved every time you disconnect from Kad.

statbkup.ini: stores the cumulative stat values. It's created when stats are reset and all cumulative values are set to zero. It's used to recover the cumulative stats by clicking "Restore statistics" from the drop-down menu (▼) at the Statistics panel.

staticservers.dat (*): stores servers you have added as static right-clicking on them and choosing "Add To Static List" in the Servers panel.

Template.eMuleSkin.ini: it can be found in the same folder emule.exe is, and is used as a base to create skins which modify the program's look and feel.

webservices.dat: stores Web Services, links to sites that can be created right-clicking a file in the Transfer, Search or Shared Files panels, and going to the Web Services submenu.

Other .bak files may also exist - these are backup copies of other files, with the same name but a different extension. .old files would be older backups.

xxx.part, xxx.part.met, xxx.part.met.bak: these are created in the Temp subdirectory, and correspond to your downloads' temporary files.

Files colored red are the only ones you should copy from your eMule folder when doing a clean install.

Hope this guide is useful to some of you :top: Have fun!

Renk
04.11.10, 23:04
I notice that preferencesKad.dat is red colored and double-asterisked (meaning it is of critical importance has has to be copied when doing a clean instal) but is not flagged as "NOT DELETE".

So, what is the subtle difference between importance of preferences.dat and preferenceKad.dat ??

(until now, when doing a clean install I was only copying crypkey.dat, preferences.dat, clients.met, and, for personal convenience, emfriends.met).

anon
04.11.10, 23:05
Hey, after two years this topic gets a reply. :wgrin:

None that I'm aware of. Looks like I missed adding the "DON'T DELETE" after that one.

Renk
05.11.10, 01:29
Hey, after two years this topic gets a reply. :wgrin:

None that I'm aware of. Looks like I missed adding the "DON'T DELETE" after that one.

So today the replies to this topic will be crowded as never before. :tongue:

In fact, after doing a search about PreferencesKad.dat, things seem to be a little confusing. For what I understand, this file contains a fixed HashID used by Kad. But used for which purpose ? It seems that this file is not related in any way to credits, and that the possible coruption of this file is not a tragedy, neither for me nor for my contacts. So I don't understand why (and how) this file can be as critical as e.g. cryptkey.dat or preferences.dat.

When e.g. I do a clean install without backing up prefreencesKad.dat, my client makes a new ones after few minutes, and the only modification I see relates to my Kad location (which may be more or less centered).

anon
05.11.10, 12:01
You're right, I did a search and it appears its importance is not that critical:
PreferencesKad.dat file - AMule Project FAQ (http://wiki.amule.org/index.php/PreferencesKad.dat_file)

Either I must have found a site saying this file was necessary when I looked for info for this guide, or I just wanted people not to delete it. :lol: