PDA

View Full Version : Top-BT

anon
29.10.08, 18:59
Researchers at the Ohio State University have implemented and released a new BitTorrent client software written in Python, called Top-BT. Different from previously released BT clients, Top-BT actively discovers Internet topology, and uses this intelligence to always choose close peers to download file pieces. Their study shows that, compared to native BT clients, Top-BT can accelerate downloading up to twice, but save up to 40% induced Internet traffic.

Download: Top-BT (http://sourceforge.net/projects/top-bt/)
Article: Top-BT - A BitTorrent Client To Double Download Speeds | FileShareFreak (http://filesharefreak.com/2008/10/29/top-bt-a-bittorrent-client-to-double-download-speeds/)

yoco
29.10.08, 22:01
Anyone tried? Maybe a new mod to code? :biggrin:

anon
29.10.08, 22:30
The guys at FSF tried it, and it seemed to perform slower than uTorrent everytime :frown:
Here's their final conclusion:

Overall Results:

This was not a clinical analysis, and the statistics should not be considered valid or standard. Whether or not Top-BT works better in a Linux environment, we couldn’t speculate. Additionally, perhaps Top-BT works better with torrents that have a smaller peerlist - again, this is inconclusive on our end. Finally, Top-BT may have more success when connected to other Top-BT (enabled) clients, but again this is purely speculation.

Link-Hop Aware=ON - Our Synopsis:

When Top-BT topology "Link-Hop Aware" was set to ON, it seemed to slightly increase the download speeds, and we also tested this on-the-fly (on and off) during the torrent transfer to monitor the differences. Thus we would conclude that it does work to some degree. Nonetheless, Top-BT/LH-ABC could not compete with µTorrent’s DL speed, regardless of the client settings.

AS-Hop Aware=ON - Our Synopsis:

With AS-Hop enabled, we were clearly unable to generate quality download speeds on the two torrents that we tested. For us, it just did not produce. After one hour or so, we managed a top download speed of just 13.0 KB/s.

But since it's based on LH-ABC, the next version of Faze could use this as its base. :biggrin:

divlord
30.10.08, 05:27
I really want to check it out but it doesnt have proxy option so that I can set
Socks 5 127.0.0.1:1080 with http-tunnel.
How do i force it?
Ultrasurf?what settings do i put in utorrent etc? waht abt port 9666? Couldnt quite get it working with ultrasurf or freecap

anon
30.10.08, 17:46
You can't :frown: It's like with Faze, based on LH-ABC, which doesn't have proxy support, so unless the Top-BT coders added it, there's no way to make it use a proxy from the program's UI.
Although maybe you could use a "proxifier" program to tunnel Top-BT's EXE's network traffic to your HTTPTunnel, but it'd need to distinguish between tracker announces and BitTorrent peer protocol. I don't know any that can do this...

And yes, Ultrasurf's port is 9666. :wink:

Aurion
31.10.08, 16:35
Do you guys see any sense in this ?! coz I don't....actually did they just imagine to remake a BT client similar to the mighty uTorrent but still gets you the best speed ever wanted,without the need to announce using far away peers,yeah seems a good idea but they just can't show up like this pretending they will release a PC application while having some Gym classes at that Nursery...

@anon: still buddy,I won't give a damn about configuring this or even re-releasing it to implement the proxy tunneling tweak since it's already been tested by others with very low speeds which doesn't make any sense still...

anon
31.10.08, 19:03
Do you guys see any sense in this ?! coz I don't....actually did they just imagine to remake a BT client similar to the mighty uTorrent but still gets you the best speed ever wanted,without the need to announce using far away peers,...

It doesn't "announce using far away peers"...
It tries to locate physically close ones like the Ono plugin for Azureus, to improve downloading speed.

@anon: still buddy,I won't give a damn about configuring this or even re-releasing it to implement the proxy tunneling tweak since it's already been tested by others with very low speeds which doesn't make any sense still...

The fact that the tests done at FSF hint uTorrent is faster than Top-BT every time isn't solid proof, they said it themselves.