PDA

View Full Version : Secret multilateral negotiations on ACTA commencing

SealLion
28.10.08, 02:12
I got this off, of Wikileaks.org recently. Its an interesting article and for those of who you don't understand it as much as you'd probably like, I'll provide a short description of whats involved at the end of the quote.

Anyways...here's the quote. Do read the the page at the provided for link b/c if you do any peer2peer stuff. This then applies to you, me, and loads of other pple.

Here's a brief sample.

The proposed agreement would criminalize copyright and intellectual property offenses. Under ACTA, Internet service providers would be required to filter illegal transfers of content and help the government track down the people downloading it. Border patrols would gain the authority to seize and destroy copyrighted materials at the border.
Also, governments would be able to charge individuals with copyright-related crimes even if rights holders do not request that charges be pressed........Internet service providers and other non-rights holders whose businesses will be impacted will not be included in the talks

Here's the link:

Secret multilateral negotiations on ACTA commencing today - Wikileaks (http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Secret_multilateral_negotiations_on_ACTA_commencin g_today)

What the article basically says, for those of you who don't care to read all of it or are reading it to fast so as to lose comprehension of it {we all do this, even I do}, .....is that a number of agencies and some business held a secret meeting that would enact eventual direction to ISPs and other organizations to provide information to the groups wanting and directing ISPs to help the goverment track down those pple who are using and downloading content off, of the interent....thats pple like you and me.

What really bugs me is that the Canadian goverment is heavily involved. This doesn't come as a surprise. REmember when Demonoid and Quebectorrent went down as a result of an order by the CRIA??\
So now the goverment, along with lobbyist groups are wanting to have information that comes from me and you, to be disclosed. This isn't just going to be a Canadian problem. It will be directed for pple worldwide to other countries.

I'll provide another thread that talks about this global reach to ISPs and other organizations that are also going to be affected similiarily in other countries.

anon
28.10.08, 17:55
Thanks for posting these news recently.

I wonder why they don't put the same effort on tracking down the real criminals - the people out there that have stolen, killed, etc.
Assuming they did so and managed to "solve" the problem, then they could consider tracking down pirates - which will not end piracy, by the way, but will ruin whole lives for sure.