PDA

View Full Version : Fake Trackers

vDD+wR
16.10.08, 22:48
pretty interesting is a list of trackers which could be found at:

http://fenopy.com/fakefinder/fake.php?cmd=tracker

This is a list of trackers that are actually fake and set up by MPAA/RIAA.
As it is based on the data users send, even real & trusted trackers can appear on the list such as demonoid and revtt.
This happens because for someone who's downloading a file and can't connect to a certain private tracker (not having an account there) will get a connection error (invalid passkey) and therefore think the tracker is a fake one, as for him it'd behave as such.

greetz

Aurion
17.10.08, 01:11
damn those MPAA & RIAA won't leave us in piece,just want to piss us off by any means possible :baeh: anyway,it's good to know now about such a list to avoid any near future troubles,good job buddy :top:

anon
17.10.08, 01:14
damn those MPAA & RIAA won't leave us in piece

They won't... -_-
When I have to download something from public trackers, I add the torrent as stopped to check the tracker list first. You can never know...
...not to mention the torrent could be bundled with trojans and general malware, another thing you have to take care about. :redface:

SealLion
17.10.08, 01:44
AHUh!!!!

see!!

I finally caught you guys. :eek::biggrin:

Aurion
17.10.08, 01:50
They won't... -_-
When I have to download something from public trackers, I add the torrent as stopped to check the tracker list first. You can never know...

That's tru especially files taken off from Demoniod,since most of them already contains partial seeds from TPB,Mini-Nova,Isohunt ...etc enlisted in the swarm list... :eek13:

...not to mention the torrent could be bundled with trojans and general malware, another thing you have to take care about. :redface:

that's another glitch you should worry about,for that GOD bless private trackers :klatsch_3:

SealLion
17.10.08, 04:51
I don't understand something: There are listed the announce URL's for TPB along with other torrent sites.

I think that those announce URLs are genuine, not something that is made up by the RIAA.

I'd be curious to know if those are genuine URL's or not b/c TPB is 'thepiratebay.org'...the same as what is listed in one or 2 of those listed in that list there.

Aurion
17.10.08, 06:44
I'd be curious to know if those are genuine URL's or not b/c TPB is 'thepiratebay.org'...the same as what is listed in one or 2 of those listed in that list there.

And that is the idea of such a lousey new project developed by them,just to fufill their greedy dream of catching & keep picking up bad users in order to press charges on them in courts just to gain more credits defending their what so called "Illegal Piracy" :baeh:

jolas
17.10.08, 15:54
lots off real trackers in the list.. i see this needs more work.

corsair00
17.10.08, 17:47
In the list also appear http://tv.tracker.prq.to:80/announce
PRQ is the agency who hosted thepiratebay, I don't think this is a fake tracker :shockkk!:

Aurion
17.10.08, 19:21
Well,maybe this is just an encrypted URL to another website man,just don't be fooled by the link,since up on clicking problem happens....Also you can be sure wither those links are still valid or not...they are a camouflage just to hide some Spy wares/Targeted Trojans to dig it's way into your machine....Just be careful using those links,they are intentionally posted to warn BT users from such links...

anon
17.10.08, 19:39
Guys, vDD+wR made that clear...

As it is based on the data users send, even real & trusted trackers can appear on the list such as demonoid and revtt.

SealLion
17.10.08, 23:33
I'd like to ask something here about the aforementioned list and the Hosts file.

could one use the links, at least the ones that are targeted by the RIAA and the MPAA to potential persons mistakenly using a link that could be listed there, and have those links added to one's Hosts file??

Would this effort even be worth it, to begin with??

Is it even necessary for oneself to be concerned about having such links added to the Hosts file??

Aurion
18.10.08, 00:22
Well,first of all,clicking on links doesn't leave any traces on your PC other than those left behind as Coockies or temp files...That only thing that might mess up with your HOSTS file is a Spy Ware /Trojan that leaves it's traces to be activated by it's virtual server in order to launch attacks on you....

Moreover,about your last question question,eventually as I mentioned not everything you click or use adds traces or servers ports/ips to the HOSTS file....however,you still can check your HOSTS file just to make sure nothing bad is stuck in there...

to get to your HOSTS file just :

Go to Drive C > Windows Dir > System32 Dir > drivers > etc > hosts then view it using notepad...

SealLion
18.10.08, 04:56
Well,first of all,clicking on links doesn't leave any traces on your PC other than those left behind as Coockies or temp files...That only thing that might mess up with your HOSTS file is a Spy Ware /Trojan that leaves it's traces to be activated by it's virtual server in order to launch attacks on you....

Moreover,about your last question question,eventually as I mentioned not everything you click or use adds traces or servers ports/ips to the HOSTS file....however,you still can check your HOSTS file just to make sure nothing bad is stuck in there...

to get to your HOSTS file just :

Go to Drive C > Windows Dir > System32 Dir > drivers > etc > hosts then view it using notepad...

No. thats not what I was asking. What I was asking is, would it be prudent or wise to add those links to the hosts file??

I know about the cookie thing. I know about the spyware thing, too.

I just wanted to know if it would be smart to add those links to the Hosts file??

If that was done, then I would get an OpenDNS page page telling me that basically the page could not be found. In other words, I would not be led to that page even thought the site like TPB does really exist.

But since those are links that lead to genuine sites like TPB and others, are the links that are there in the above listed website any different than the ones that could be in the HOsts file??

Aurion
18.10.08, 19:59
But since those are links that lead to genuine sites like TPB and others, are the links that are there in the above listed website any different than the ones that could be in the HOsts file??

oh,now I got ya,yeah for sure links that should be added to your HOSTS file isn't supposed to be harmful nor suspicious...in other words,you should ONLY add links manually (I won't recommend doing that all the time still) to your HOSTS file when you have something,like an application or a tool that needs a virtual server to connect thru,that requires you add a link for it to function properly,otherwise don't touch your HOSTS file at all,instead you can always check it's contents on a regular basis for any sudden changes done by appz you're using....

anon
18.10.08, 22:07
@SealLion: yes, you can. But you've mentioned you're using PG2's updated blocklist, which should already block these bad trackers. Although maybe it isn't as updated as this fake tracker list, and that's why you'd want to block these yourself.
If that's what you're going to do, remember to add just the hostname and not the whole entry. For example, to block the fake tracker

http://trackeri.rarbg.com:80/announce
You'd need to add this to the HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1 trackeri.rarbg.com

And since the hosts file has precendence over polling your name servers, you shouldn't get an OpenDNS guide page.

@Aurion: he's talking about using the file to block hosts, not to redirect them. You're right about checking it from time to time yourself to see if any bad app has added entries to it, though.

Aurion
19.10.08, 02:53
@anon: yeah,OK still I told him just NOT to add any related lines to those links to override any connection that might get launched due to any bad entry in the HOSTS file..

anon
19.10.08, 18:14
Of course :wink:
@SealLion: you should do fine by adding the "real" fake trackers from the list to your HOSTS file. But you may want to check if PG2 isn't already blocking their IPs, because if it is it's quite pointless to re-block them :biggrin:

Aurion
20.10.08, 03:06
Sorry but I wanted to ask that question: What the fuss about it adding those links or blocking their IPs with PG if he's not gonna use them already ? I mean if you are into those real trackers,then what you care ? just let go this counter measure :biggrin:

anon
20.10.08, 20:15
Yes, nice point. But maybe one day he has to use public trackers, and it may "so happen" that the .torrents have these fake trackers embedded and he doesn't check the tracker list...

The computers that host them may also be to other kinds of anti-P2P activities you can't make your client have full control over. Blocking them is the way to go.

Aurion
20.10.08, 21:48
Yeah,you are right,that's if I will be using Public trackers once again some day...I still doubt it :tongue: Anyway,it's good to prepare strong counter measures..:top:

anon
20.10.08, 22:21
I "still" use public ones myself, since that's where 90% of Fulldls' (an index I visit every day to check what's new) torrents are hosted. They have declined in quality - 1 or 2 years ago I'd get a lot of cool things every day from there, but now most of the time I can't find anything interesting.

That's why I use PG's list along P2PFire to block these fake trackers, for the not-so-often cases where I download a torrent from there. :wink:

Aurion
21.10.08, 01:44
Yeah..maybe you are right about Quality...I remember a couple of months ago,I needed to find Vista Business where I couldn't find in lots of private trackers such as ScL,SCC,TL,H33t,TBS,BT,Czone....etc where they keep good records of old stuff...so I had to turn over to Isohunt & TPB,oh and Demonoid also...I guess it's where I found it at last...still those cases just barely happen every long term....

poopsalot
21.10.08, 03:03
Well 0day trackers are more based on current scene release so you have to remember that, Demonoid is my 2nd last choice for everything related to backups ;D

anon
21.10.08, 19:28
@Aurion: I so happened to be looking for Vista Ultimate edition today, too. Just found one at TB, glad the "No report, show as leecher" option works there :biggrin:

@poopsalot: yes, there's a lot of good stuff at Demonoid. :wink:

Aurion
21.10.08, 21:02
@Aurion: I so happened to be looking for Vista Ultimate edition today, too. Just found one at TB, glad the "No report, show as leecher" option works there :biggrin:

Glad you found it :biggrin: the Ultimate is everywhere man,Public & Private trackers have a 24/7 live seed on it....still other expansions like Business Suit,Beginner,Light ...etc aren't easy to find,so you have to jump on some crowdy trackers...

anon
21.10.08, 21:07
Yes, Ultimate is the most feature-filled edition, that's why it's so seeded and I want it. :cool2:

By the way, I could reach 60kB/s by using RC4 encryption in Azureus... and 90kbs with both retro options unticked! :eek:

Of course this isn't the way to go in small swarms because of the non-existant backwards compatibility, but it does work with the TB torrent, and it was refreshing to see that little number get higher than 30kbs...

Aurion
21.10.08, 21:15
By the way, I could reach 60kB/s by using RC4 encryption in Azureus... and 90kbs with both retro options unticked! :eek:

Never used that option before....let me try it with some trackers to see if it works as a regular function or just depends...

Of course this isn't the way to go in small swarms because of the non-existant backwards compatibility, but it does work with the TB torrent, and it was refreshing to see that little number get higher than 30kbs...

I feel sh&t for ya man with your connection Throttled like this :baeh:

anon
21.10.08, 21:18
Never used that option before....let me try it with some trackers to see if it works as a regular function or just depends...

Don't play around with it if your connection isn't throttled, Azureus automatically enables it only if a peer needs it. :smile:

I feel sh&t for ya man with your connection Throttled like this :baeh:

Yes, me too.

I don't get the sense of throttling P2P though: it's supposed to save them from spending money on external bandwidth, but if I download a 20GB pack at 30kB/s, they use the same amount of bandwidth as if I downloaded it at 400kB/s... :rolleyes:

Aurion
21.10.08, 21:25
... it's supposed to save them from spending money on external bandwidth, but if I download a 20GB pack at 30kB/s, they use the same amount of bandwidth as if I downloaded it at 400kB/s... :rolleyes:

LOL that's good for them just to save extra bytes....still sux man ! Why don't ya just dump them & find another ISP ?! :confused:

anon
21.10.08, 21:28
Why don't ya just dump them & find another ISP ?! :confused:

Well, I wish I could, as ironic as this sounds, they're the best, or least bad, of the ones within my reach. Others are even more aggresive, or don't block P2P but have downtimes of entire days where in the meantime consumers are left without iNet... :mad:

And the good ones that (according user feedback) don't block anything and are up 24/7 cost a lot more.

Aurion
21.10.08, 21:34
Well, I wish I could, as ironic as this sounds, they're the best, or least bad, of the ones within my reach. Others are even more aggresive, or don't block P2P but have downtimes of entire days where in the meantime consumers are left without iNet... :mad:

And the good ones that (according user feedback) don't block anything and are up 24/7 cost a lot more.

Well,partially we do have the same here...but Inet providers got way Wild here than before...I remember 2 years ago we had around 5/6 ISPs where they were the main providers who just have the service...now we have around 13 ISPs all compete on who to provide the BIG Pack with lowest prives....so I guess it's good for us,let them fools just compete & us NJoy free Inet :biggrin:

anon
21.10.08, 21:36
now we have around 13 ISPs all compete on who to provide the BIG Pack with lowest prives....so I guess it's good for us,let them fools just compete & us NJoy free Inet :biggrin:

That's what's good about competence... if an ISP doesn't limit P2P and charges less than others, those will have to do the same with even smaller prices in order to survive. :biggrin:

Aurion
21.10.08, 21:46
That's what's good about competence... if an ISP doesn't limit P2P and charges less than others, those will have to do the same with even smaller prices in order to survive. :biggrin:

LOL yeah they always do that.....still we are the beneficiaries :tongue:

anon
21.10.08, 22:01
Just reached this!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9185/100kbsoc0.gif

Aurion
21.10.08, 22:24
WTF :shockkk!: this is LAME ! anon....I think it' way waste of time to be like this...

anon
21.10.08, 22:27
Well, at least I could reach a 3-digit download speed.

Hotspot Shield was a nice option to bypass the throttling way back, but it otherwise slowed down your whole PC's network traffic (VPN). It now seems to have been limited too - connect to HSS's servers and it'll stop working after 5 minutes.

Aurion
22.10.08, 00:37
Well, at least I could reach a 3-digit download speed.

Hotspot Shield was a nice option to bypass the throttling way back, but it otherwise slowed down your whole PC's network traffic (VPN). It now seems to have been limited too - connect to HSS's servers and it'll stop working after 5 minutes.

hmmm,then why don't you find another way to stop that throttling ? I mean like....ooh,proxies already won't work for ya....:confused:

Maybe,you should just use an Elite proxy to get off your main stream coverage....

anon
22.10.08, 00:40
Maybe,you should just use an Elite proxy to get off your main stream coverage....

None of the public ones will let me torrent at full speed.
And I'm not going to pay for something that works around a limitation in something I'm already paying for... :mad:

Aurion
22.10.08, 00:48
None of the public ones will let me torrent at full speed.
And I'm not going to pay for something that works around a limitation in something I'm already paying for... :mad:

nah,I meant any of the Elite/Private proxies that crackers/hackers normally ripp off countries & post in proxies forums...you can use them with any proxifier like "Charon".....

When I get home,I will PM you a 500+ proxies list updated daily for different countries...

anon
22.10.08, 00:52
nah,I meant any of the Elite/Private proxies that crackers/hackers normally ripp off countries & post in proxies forums...you can use them with any proxifier like "Charon"....

I have already tried that, but most outstraight block BitTorrent connections, or you get very low speeds (10kB/s) because other people are already using the server. :frown:

But thanks, your caring means a lot... :wink2:

Aurion
22.10.08, 01:07
I have already tried that, but most outstraight block BitTorrent connections, or you get very low speeds (10kB/s) because other people are already using the server. :frown:

But thanks, your caring means a lot... :wink2:

Well,still I guess there would be 1 proxy in 500 list that should work perfectly at least for a while...al you have to do is just try them out,kinda exhausting but I guess it worths it already....