PDA

View Full Version : Next-Gen 7,200 RPM Notebook Hard Drives : Notebook Hard Drives Reach 90 MB/s

zatoicchi
31.08.08, 12:06
Notebook Hard Drives Reach 90 MB/s
160 GB, 200 GB, 250 GB, 320 GB: It’s amazing to follow the fast pace of progress in the notebook hard drive sector. Only six months ago, we looked at high-performance notebook hard drives, which had reached 200 GB capacities at that time. The latest high-performance product generation has not only increased the maximum capacity to a comfortable 320 gigabytes, but performance has also increased along the way.

Larger, faster, and more efficient: new 7,200 RPM notebook drives by Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate and Western Digital.Larger, faster, and more efficient: new 7,200 RPM notebook drives by Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate and Western Digital.

High-Performance or Mainstream

When we refer to high-performance notebook drives, we’re talking about 7,200 RPM spindle speed units in the 2.5” form factor with a 9.5 mm height. Most 2.5” hard drives have this height of 9.5 mm, which allows them to be installed into all notebook computers designed for this industry standard. Some ultra-portable notebooks require 1.8” disk drives, though, while others offer additional space for 12.5 mm 2.5” drives (Hitachi’s 500-GB Travelstar 5K500 is a 12.5 mm drive).

Next-Gen 7,200 RPM Notebook Hard Drives : Notebook Hard Drives Reach 90 MB/s (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/notebook-hard-drive,review-31303.html)

anon
31.08.08, 18:08
90MB/s is a lot for a notebook, and surely will be able to do all disk-intensive tasks (like defragging) faster than before.
These are the speeds my system HDD can peak; seems they're about to beat them, or maybe it's time for me to upgrade :biggrin:
http://i38.tinypic.com/2a7iheg.gif

Aurion
03.09.08, 16:20
LOL 90MB/s this is Huge tho :shockkk!: just how long do you think guys a tiny notebook can handle such speed when multi-threading it thinking it's a freaky PC :tongue:

anon
03.09.08, 19:43
it's a freaky PC :tongue:

In the future, it may very well become one :tongue:

Aurion
06.09.08, 19:58
yeah once you hool up 6GB+ RAM right into ur PC,you got urself a monster one tho !! imagine such power in gaming experiences !! :shockkk!:

anon
06.09.08, 20:15
imagine such power in gaming experiences !! :shockkk!:

And in VM and RAMdrive performance :top:

Aurion
07.09.08, 17:34
TOTAL OWNAGE tho :klatsch_3:

anon
07.09.08, 19:59
Indeed.
If I had 6GB of RAM, I'd do the put-browser-cache-in-RAM trick for ultra-fast surfing :cool2:

Aurion
12.09.08, 05:04
lol what's that trick ?? :biggrin: im eager for new trix,show me how

anon
12.09.08, 15:47
It's possible to do it in IE (registry tweak), FF (about:config) and Opera (INI modification).
This site (http://www.ghacks.net/2007/12/14/use-a-ramdisk-to-increase-firefox-security/) will help you. :wink:

But I'd recommend you get another RAM drive program: the article mentions and offers a basic "ramdisk" utility, but it'd seem that you have to go through the whole process of creating it after every reboot, before running Firefox... -_-
From the ones I have tried, I'd recommend SuperSpeed's RamDisk Plus, but it isn't free.

Aurion
19.09.08, 21:44
gonna give that a try but do you think that tweak will squeeze some bandwith out off of the browsing engine ?? or it's irrelevant ?

anon
19.09.08, 21:51
If it was irrelevant, I wouldn't have posted it :smile:

You'll probably notice pages load faster, not because of increasing your bandwidth, but for FF taking less time to render the pages fetching their components from RAM instead of the HDD - proportionally faster.

Aurion
19.09.08, 22:11
Yeah !! I've noticed that,since I do have a couple of good sitx,I guess im gonna love that alot :biggrin:

anon
20.09.08, 01:20
OK, have fun and hope you see a noticeable change in page rendering speed :top:

What RAM drive program will you be using? If you have any problems, PM me. Maybe we can do a "how to put your browser's cache in memory" tutorial later, since some people may find it useful.

Aurion
20.09.08, 01:50
yeah...I also checked some reviews/comments on that technique,most of the people just prefere to use a SandBoxie for extra security features....I'm loving the idea anyway and for sure would love to share the creation of that tut anytime

anon
20.09.08, 22:56
Heh, Sandboxie is good to browse securely, but this is a speed tweak, not a security tweak. :wink:

And glad to know I can count with you for the tut. :top:

Aurion
30.09.08, 01:20
yeah sure,whatever,anytime :biggrin: