PDA

View Full Version : [Guide] Common Bittorrent Errors (Incl. Explanations)

Aurion
24.08.08, 03:33
Well,most of us Love to use the most anticipated p2p network ever made which is call "Bittorrent Network".However,you might experience some difficulties loading a .torrent file or even starting it to download,those obstacles could be Network related,Client related,Tracker related or even related to your PC & the OS you are using.Anyway,to cut shorter,let me answer that question that rolls over inside your head,"What is that all about ?" :biggrin: Well,its simple,just a list with a few common errors that you might face while using any Bittorrent Tracker/Client during your p2p experience,so let's get down to business......:top:

General Bittorrent Erros Messages & Their Meanings :

Bad Data from Tracker :

Normally caused by an overloaded Tracker, which is trying to deal with too much information at once. This is normal, especially on popular torrent sites when the community is downloading torrents in mass. Just click away this error, and eventually the file will start.

Connecting to peers :

Maybe there are no users to connect to. Leave your torrent open and maybe the bit torrent client will connect (it may take some time).

Windows cannot find "c:documents and settingsownerlocal settingstemporery internet filescontent.ie5..... :

Download the torrent to your Hard Drive and launch it from there. Right click on the link and save the torrent to your hard-drive, and then open the torrent that is in your hard-drive by double clicking on it.

No space left on device :

The client allocates the space needed to store the file on your Hard Drive, you get this error when you don't have enough space on your hard drive for bit torrent to fully allocate the file.

Urlopen error - (7, 'getaddrinfo failed') :

This means that the tracker is overloaded, just keep the torrent window open and wait.

Temporary internet files content 1.5 xxx don't exist :

It is an XP thing; either download the torrent to your Hard Drive and launch it from there... or clear out your temp internet files that will generally resolve the issue.(XP compresses temp internet files once it reaches certain # of files or 1/2 allotted space that's what causes the error).Just let the torrent run in your client and the client will keep checking the tracker and should resume eventually.

Problem getting response info - [errno2] No such file or directory :

The directory of C: /// is probably causing your problems; it's most likely a temporary directory that Internet Explorer uses when you left click on the torrent file. Try right clicking on the .torrent and selecting "save target as" . Then save the .torrent file to a directory on your C drive. Keep them all in a folder specifically designed for use with Bit Torrent and your life will be much easier. Then when you start your client and you're ready to download the files you can navigate to that special folder and not have to keep searching for where Windows plonks the torrents each time. Clear your temp internet files then make a dedicated folder for your torrents and try again. Put the dl in the folder you made.

(IOError - [Errno13] Permission denied)

Sometime bit torrent still runs in the background, and if you start more than one GUI (the same torrent) it will give you permission denied, go to Task manager and close down all bt-gui processes.

Rejected by tracker - Your IP is not registered to use this tracker for this file

Probably the tracker is overloaded, so the owner decide to only allow certain IPs to use the tracker.

Problem connecting to tracker: HTTP Error -1

Leave your torrent running in your client. The client will keep checking the tracker and it should resume eventually.

Problem connecting with tracker - (10060, 'Operation timed out')

That error means that the server/tracker is down or too busy to process your request. Just keep trying - leave it open.Leave you Bt client open, if it doesn't see some action by about 20mins then try again later, the tracker's just busy that's all.Many have this problem from time to time, but for most of them it doesn't matter cause the download will eventually connect to the tracker, however it can take some time...If you can't connect to any tracker then the problem is surely on your side...try to disable any firewalls you may have, and if you go through proxy-servers but don't have to, try to test it without.

<Urlopen error (10061, 'Connection refused")>

Just leave your torrent running in your client. The client will keep trying to connect to the tracker. When you're already downloading, just ignore it.

Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen error (10055, 'No buffer space available')>

A lot of routes in your routing table (due to a misconfigured router, or misconfigured default route).Lots of stale connections in your connection table Or a lot of data that is pending for sending or receiving on a current connection(s), which can't be sent or received for some reason (destination system dead or unreachable, for example).Opening too many sockets at the same time.Probably don't have enough free space on your hard drive.

Problem connecting with tracker - (10054,'Connection reset by peer')

This occurs when an established connection is shut down for some reason by the remote computer, just ignore it.

Problem connecting to tracker. HTTP error 503: service unavailable

Have you tried using torrent spy to check on the tracker's status? Maybe the tracker is down for a rest or something bad happened.

Piece XXX failed hash check, re-downloading it

Bittorrent downloaded a wrong packet, so it's redownloading it, just ignore it.

Page cannot be displayed/found
The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later 404

I think it's just that some of the mirrors come on line and others go of, I use goggle to find other mirrors, sometimes it works some not, it isn't your firewall.The site might just be too busy, try it again in a few minutes. Also, I would suggest right clicking the file and saving it to you hard rive for easy access in the future. It might be that the server the .torrent file is stored on is busy. If it's a file that is being downloaded by many people then the chances are it's a popular one and many people are also trying to get the .torrent file itself too. Try right clicking on the .torrent and selecting "save as" then read the error message, it probably says something along the lines of "a connection with the server could not be established, please try again later".Keep refreshing the page and try and get a different mirror you can try the refresh again, but it's likely the site has too many people accessing it, try again periodically.It's not a huge issue because chances are it works one at least one of the mirrors and the others will be fixed eventually. You just have to refresh a few times to try and find a working one.

No known mirrors

That normally means the mirror hosting the tracker is too busy or is having problems.

Upload failed: The tracker that hosted your torrent is listed as 'dead'!

It wouldn't surprise me if they were all full.If your site had to temporarily shut down the trackers, everyone has gone to the other trackers for now.

MsgCode: xxxxxxxxx ::add_torrent::dead_tracker::395

That errors pretty straight forward. The tracker you are trying to use is currently not available. Just because you used it before doesn't mean it's working today. It's currently down for whatever reason; I don't know why it's down.To solve this issue you either have to find a different tracker, one that is up right now. Or just wait and see if that one comes back.

\"Error on Line 18\"
\"Cannot execute free Script\"

Do you have any ad blocking software running? Some firewalls like NIS and Agnitum Outpost have such options built into them. There is also at least one pop-up-stopper that now supports ad blocking. If you have any of those turn them off and try again. You also might like to check your security settings in your Browser. Perhaps you have very aggressive security and privacy settings that are causing it?

Missing/Can't See Categories

Disable your ad-blocking, it may be part of your firewall.

Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen error (111, 'Connection refused')>

Just let the torrent run in your client and the client will keep checking the tracker and should resume eventually.

bad data from tracker -

Usually you can ignore this, it seems to happen when the tracker is overloaded or otherwise flaky.

Too many args - 0 max.

This error in indicative of a bad command line.Ensure that the arguments to the BitTorrent program include --responsefile "%1".

Problem connecting to tracker - HTTP Error 400: Not Authorized

This indicates that the administrators of this tracker are not allowing it to be used for this torrent. Some trackers will only track torrents that are also posted in their forums/website, for example. Usually this indicates a stale torrent -- try going to the web site associated with the tracker and see if you can find an updated torrent.

Problem connecting to tracker - HTTP Error 404: Not Found

Probably a stale torrent. Try to find a new link to the torrent.

Problem connecting to tracker - HTTP Error 407: Proxy Authentication Required

You may need to configure a username and password for your proxy server setting in order to contact the tracker. Please Refere to anon's Annonymous Torrenting using Proxies Located Here (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f59/how-use-proxy-apps-semi-anonymous-torrenting-eta-4279/)(Decent Tutorial)

Invalid PassKey

This means that you Booked yourself a Ban Ticket (Got banned),so Just ignore that & go search for a new Invites/Account.

Error: The system cannot find the path specified.

The filepath is too long, save/move the torrent to a location with a short path name, like C:\Downloads.

"Error: Not enough free space on disk", but there IS enough space..

If you're using a FAT32 drive, it's a filesystem limitation, convert the drive to NTFS.Else, run a CHKDSK /F in that drive...

A socket operation encountered a dead network

* uninstall BitDefender
* you can disable your firewall and see if the problem persists, if so,un/reinstall it might solve the problem.
* reinstall your network card's drivers or get another one

Error: Element not found

Disable compact allocation and/or use 'sparse' files (NTFS).

Error: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

Run a CHKDSK /F in the drive and try again, if the problem persists, your HDD may be dying...

Bad data from tracker: <HTML>|<HEAD>|....

The tracker is either down or not hosted there anymore.

HTTP 403 Forbidden

* Your IP has been banned from the tracker
* Proxy error

Error 10047: Address family not supported

(Re)install the TCP/IP protocol.

uTorrent Related Errors :

Error opening Windows Firewall: 0x800706D9

This means that µTorrent was unable to add itself as an exception to the Windows Firewall, using the standard Windows Firewall API. This most likely means that the firewall is disabled or not present. You can safely ignore this error. However, if you have another software firewall, you will still need to manually configure it to allow incoming and outgoing connections.

Unable to map UPnP port to xx.xx.xx.xx:xx

This error means that µTorrent was unable to map the port with UPnP. If you have a green status light or have forwarded your port manually, you can safely ignore this error. However, if you have a yellow/red status light, it may mean that you need to forward the port manually, or that your firewall is blocking incoming connections.

The filepath is too long, save/move the torrent to a location with a short path name, like C:\Downloads

Note :

The best thing to do in general if you're having connectivity problems is just wait. Often trackers are unavailable or slow to respond, usually due to high load or sometimes DDoS attacks. Some torrents can take a while to get up to speed,patience is a virtue !!

Credits Go to (anon & shoulder) for providing Extra Errors Definitions,Thanks alot Guys.

Hope You NJoy Reading & Understanding Those Errors Just to Clear Any Further Doubts. :top:

shoulder
24.08.08, 14:23
What about the worst of all, the PassKey error? :tongue:

Which means you're most likely banned.

Aurion
24.08.08, 18:02
What about the worst of all, the PassKey error? :tongue:

Which means you're most likely banned.

LOL sounds like a Sudden Death to me,but Ive never heard of such error before nor seen it :confused2: can you link me shoulder to a source where it explains it (pm me) so that I add it here :top:

shoulder
24.08.08, 18:11
I have no source, I know it by heart. :tongue:

On an ALT every user has his own PassKey which is injected in every torrent a user downloads, so that the tracker can identify you.

If you get banned, your PassKey isn't valid anymore and at the next tracker update your client will get an invalid PassKey error.

Aurion
24.08.08, 19:44
hmm,never experienced such an error before,but surely it sounds a pain in the a$$ to notice yourself banned :tongue:

EDIT: Added that error,thanks for informing shoulder :top:

anon
24.08.08, 22:53
Nice tut again, Reppy :top: And thanks for referring to my semi-anonymous torrenting tut for the HTTP 407 message :wink:

Maybe you want to add these extra error messages? :smile:

An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full.

Apply the max half-open connections patch (http://lvllord.de/).

The filepath is too long, save/move the torrent to a location with a short path name, like C:\Downloads

[uTorrent] Error: Unable to save the resume file

Create two blank files named "settings.dat" and "resume.dat" (without the quotes) in the same folder utorrent.exe is saved in. Make sure Windows is not hiding the file extension when creating the file (in Explorer, Tools -> Folder Options -> View, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types", hit OK).

[uTorrent] Unable to map UPnP port to xx.xx.xx.xx:xx

This error means that µTorrent was unable to map the port with UPnP. If you have a green status light or have forwarded your port manually, you can safely ignore this error. However, if you have a yellow/red status light, it may mean that you need to forward the port manually, or that your firewall is blocking incoming connections.

[uTorrent] Error opening Windows Firewall: 0x800706D9

This means that µTorrent was unable to add itself as an exception to the Windows Firewall, using the standard Windows Firewall API. This most likely means that the firewall is disabled or not present. You can safely ignore this error. However, if you have another software firewall, you will still need to manually configure it to allow incoming and outgoing connections.

"Error: Not enough free space on disk", but there IS enough space

If you're using a FAT32 drive, it's a filesystem limitation, convert the drive to NTFS.
Else, run a CHKDSK /F in that drive...

A socket operation encountered a dead network.

* uninstall BitDefender
* you can disable your firewall and see if the problem persists, if so, un/reinstall it...
* reinstall your network card's drivers or get another one

Error: Element not found

Disable compact allocation and/or use 'sparse' files (NTFS).

Error: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

Run a CHKDSK /F in the drive and try again, if the problem persists, your HDD may be dying...

HTTP 403 Forbidden

* Your IP has been banned from the tracker
* Proxy error

Bad data from tracker: <HTML>|<HEAD>|....

The tracker is either down or not hosted there anymore.

Error 10047: Address family not supported

(Re)install the TCP/IP protocol.

Aurion
24.08.08, 23:48
Done anon :top: Thanks for add extra errors definitions,also sorry for leaving 1/2 errors not posted (you know the 15000 characters limit) !!

Btw,that "an operation on the socket cann't be performed...." error,I would recommend posting that in a separate thread (I already mentioned that tweak/error solution in one of my Old TuTs) just to explain how to apply that patch properly in details :wink:

anon
25.08.08, 00:16
(you know the 15000 characters limit) !!

Didn't! :biggrin:

Btw,that "an operation on the socket cann't be performed...." error,I would recommend posting that in a separate thread (I already mentioned that tweak/error solution in one of my Old TuTs) just to explain how to apply that patch properly in details :wink:

OK, you can do it :top:

Aurion
25.08.08, 00:32
OK, you can do it :top:

I would Love to for sure,also I would use your amazing help in writing it (let's do it as an alliance or else.. :biggrin: if you want inform me)

anon
25.08.08, 00:35
A tutorial about the max half-open connections thingy... you can count with me, a lot of people need that (the tut :biggrin:). :wink:

kazuya
25.08.08, 13:45
That is all good but explain this Scrape error? bencoded response malformed: BDecoder: zero length file

and then tracker reports downloading of the same torrent 2,3,4..times at the same time.depends how many times you startet that torrent

anon
25.08.08, 15:34
Scrape error? bencoded response malformed: BDecoder: zero length file

That's in Azureus, right? It's usually a temporary problem from the tracker. You may be unable to scrape until it's fixed, but everything else should work fine.
Disabling sending OS and Java version in the scrape settings sometimes also solves it.

kazuya
25.08.08, 15:53
That's in Azureus, right?
Yes.

scrape settings
where is that?

anon
25.08.08, 20:04
Go to Tools -> Options -> Tracker (in the left side) -> Client, and

http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=3135

kazuya
07.09.08, 10:51
I have a new error.

error: unrecognized host

Says that i must login to tracker.only one tracker says so
Is this normal?

anon
07.09.08, 18:16
Yes, in some trackers you need to login to it first before being able to announce one of its torrents, for security reasons.

Aurion
07.09.08, 23:58
Yes, in some trackers you need to login to it first before being able to announce one of its torrents, for security reasons.

also,you can see sometimes the torrent already began downloading but didn't reach max speed due to DHT Login status delay (happens here all the time tho)

anon
08.09.08, 00:00
DHT shouldn't be a problem with private torrents, or do you mean in general?

kazuya
01.04.09, 13:31
Error(Connection limit exceeded! You may only leech from one location at a time.)

tracker server, complaining about you trying to contact it from two different IP addresses. the server thinks that you are trying to download with two simultaneous connections.Happens if you reboot router and get new IP from ISP but the tracker still has your old Vuze client ID.This should correct itself in a few hours, when the server purges old connections from its database (after some defined inactivity time).