PDA

View Full Version : Music File-Sharing Decision To Have Broad Impact

zatoicchi
16.08.08, 05:13
A coming federal-court decision holds consequences for the Recording Industry Association of America and the thousands of people it is suing over shared music files.

Last year, a jury in federal district court in Duluth, Minn., found Jammie Thomas liable for copyright infringement based on songs the RIAA said it found in her computer. Ms. Thomas was told to pay up, to the tune of $222,000.

But the judge in the case, Michael Davis, says his instructions to the jury might have been wrong.
[Jammie Thomas with lawyer Brian Toder after last year's court ruling. ]
Associated Press
Jammie Thomas with lawyer Brian Toder after last year's court ruling.

Judge Davis told the jury that making songs available online for distribution to others was copyright violation and that the record companies did not have to prove distribution took place. He has since learned of a federal district-court case in Phoenix that ruled that making songs available was not copyright violation. He is weighing granting Ms. Thomas a new trial.

If one is granted, one outcome could be a higher bar for what record labels need to prove to demonstrate that copyrights have been violated. For example, evidence that more than a handful of songs on a shared file folder were distributed to others may be needed.

"It's going to be more difficult for them to prove" if they can't simply rely on showing that songs were in somebody's shared file folder, says Brian Toder, a partner at Minneapolis-based Chestnut & Cambronne who is representing Ms. Thomas.

Music File-Sharing Decision To Have Broad Impact - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article_email/article_print/SB121875652064642585-lMyQjAxMDI4MTE4NTcxNTU2Wj.html)

Aurion
16.08.08, 17:11
well,if they kept getting help from outside sources such as different court judges then this will strenthen their weak point which will lead to major federal forcing rules for private Inet usage

anon
16.08.08, 20:52
For example, evidence that more than a handful of songs on a shared file folder were distributed to others may be needed.

They have a point there, having files in a shared folder doesn't mean full copies of them have been uploaded (if at all)

Aurion
17.08.08, 17:40
actually if you are a collector u would LOVE to have everything packed in ur HDDs or DVDs just to have that feeling that u own everything u already have in position :biggrin:

anon
17.08.08, 20:19
I once did that, but then it was too much of a hassle to go looking for the disc with the stuff I needed :tongue:

Aurion
18.08.08, 13:13
nah believe me its way Fun to have anything/everything u might ever need stored so that if u ever needed it/a friend asked u for it,u will just say "Hang On,I have it hidden here somewhere,let me take a look !!" :tongue:

anon
18.08.08, 18:16
"Hang On,I have it hidden here somewhere,let me take a look !!" :tongue:

Yes :biggrin:
But I meant that I never felt like standing up and go fetch the CD :biggrin:

Aurion
22.08.08, 06:52
LOL also if you have those 100+ CDs/DVDs you definitely would forget about which one of them has ur Birthday photos for example or your fave music !! thats why I love extra GBs

anon
22.08.08, 18:20
which one of them has ur Birthday photos for example or your fave music !!

Or gamez and warez :2412:

Aurion
22.08.08, 19:47
hehe yeah but I don't keep warez/games on DVDs,my HD just loves me so much I guess :tongue: