PDA

View Full Version : You mean WinMX still Works?

anon
16.08.08, 00:58
There was a time when WinMX was the king of file-sharing. For a brief time, it was arguably larger than FastTrack (Kazaa, Grokster), eDonkey2000, and Gnutella. But that was a long time ago, when the P2P community actually meant something. When FrontCode Technologies, the company behind WinMX, received a “cease and desist” letter from the music industry in 2005, the entire project was abandoned.

The WinMX decentralized network, as it turned out, wasn’t so decentralized. The WinMX client depended on active IP addresses to connect to the network, which were stored on cache servers maintained by FrontCode Technologies. Once these servers went offline, it was impossible to connect, trade, or share files. Although WinMX had been in a slow state of decline for about a year, thanks to the unfulfilled promises of WinMX 4.0 and the arrival of BitTorrent, it remained an excellent resource for MP3s.

Slyck News - You mean WinMX still Works? (http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1742)

zatoicchi
16.08.08, 05:48
that was ages ago using winmx..it was so popular then and everyone used it..
bring back old memories.. i dont think i would ever used it again:biggrin:

Aurion
16.08.08, 18:16
thanks to the unfulfilled promises of WinMX 4.0 and the arrival of BitTorrent, it remained an excellent resource for MP3s.

yeah the invention of the Bittorrent service eased up lots of p2p users pains regarding sharing/getting new music,movies,games ..etc after most of the p2p clients (ares,kazaa,limewire) became weak tho !!

anon
16.08.08, 21:00
@zat: now you can bring back the nice memories ^^

@Reppy: yes, the fact the Mediadefender and other ap2p companies have greatly screwed the Gnutella and Ares networks is undeniable :mad2: But Gnutella is still "usable" if you filter certain keywords (in search results), use an IP blocker, and only download MP3s.

Aurion
18.08.08, 14:31
I did not use Ares since 6 years or so,I first used that p2p client when I first knew about p2ps then I switched to more resources based clients such as DC++ (I remember having such great memories with that client,Huge I mean Huge data base of everything & anything) along with bittorrent clients,anyway some one should really try to make something for p2p users like hosting the client on a fake server that no one have access to it but its coder (like what happened with DC++ they changed even the name to Rev++,u can leech from any user without worrying about sharing some hash files + downloading from multiple locations @ the same time instead of getting data from ONLY 1 user as the official DC++ did)

anon
18.08.08, 19:34
That's true, if you're connected to the right DC++ hub, you can find almost anything...
And here Ares is still widely used (I use it myself to download some tracks from time to time), mainly to get local content for which MD, BayTSP, etc... hasn't set up fake files. You can also find nice SFX rips/versions of popular programs and games.

Aurion
22.08.08, 07:30
Ares was a Legend p2p application back then 7 years ago,really it was my no.1 tool for getting anything (especially MP3,since I was a maniac back then),but with the widely used BT clients lately,those tiny weak p2p appz got behind lines that you barely use them once you remember you have them installed & ready for a single Run every 1 year :biggrin:

anon
22.08.08, 18:52
It's still good if you need to get a single track fast, like Lime/Frostwire (if setup correctly) :smile:

And here it's definitely not used once a year, just go to a cafe and 90% of people have it open :biggrin: ... sometimes waiting for it to connect though -_-
Solution: carry a SNodes.dat file from home to the cafe's PC :cool2:

Aurion
22.08.08, 21:08
nah,I was working here perfectly without any glitches but u know the more u get familiar with alternatives the more u forget old days :tongue:

anon
22.08.08, 21:27
the more u get familiar with alternatives the more u forget old days :tongue:

And Sharman Networks tries to exploit that selling Kazaa "Pro", when we all know the only good remaining thing about Kazaa are the good old memories, because the network itself is fake-flooded now :tongue:

Aurion
22.08.08, 21:43
yeah lots of people gave up Kazaa long time ago back then when Limewire showed up (I guess its the most decent p2p app lately along with eMule ofcourse)

anon
22.08.08, 21:51
It has a very small userbase now, mainly people who still share lots of content so as to try to counter the fake files, but Kazaa's hash system (UUHash) exploitability is an obstacle impossible to overcome :frown: Their best bet is to move to newer networks IMO.

Aurion
23.08.08, 00:21
hmm,well let me tell you something negative about that lousey p2p application !! we all know that what made it no.1 p2p app back then (at least for the first year till Ares showed up along with DC++) that it had the largest p0rn contents ever existed in any p2p app back then !! so anyway,its good that it went down IMO since most of the its users were infected with very new invented spywares/viruses back then

anon
23.08.08, 00:24
anyway,its good that it went down IMO since most of the its users were infected with very new invented spywares/viruses back then

Yea, that's right, it's just there for "historical purposes" I think :biggrin:
Most of what you can find are viruses/trojans, empty/fake MP3s and p0rn... it can be actually harmful to use it :eek3:

Aurion
23.08.08, 03:30
That's the point that people stopped dealing in Kazaa & other old p2p appz,now its security-wise to use specific p2p appz such as DC++ & eMule if you got bored of torrenting :biggrin:

anon
23.08.08, 19:43
Yes, all that combined with the specific network's security tips, correct client settings and an IP blocker with an up-to-date blocklist :top:

And I don't know too much about DC++, but according my checks, probably only 6 or 7 servers aren't fake anymore in eMule, you really have to be a bit careful in the eD2k network... -_-

Aurion
24.08.08, 02:59
Well said anon !! :biggrin: but don't you think that most of the recent network counter measure implementations done by most p2p organizations lately lack of secure p2p mapping ?? com'on Arez & Kazaa were perfect back then with no extra hard work at all,just the users having fun using a well made network to transfer whatever data they like around the globe !! Moreover,the DC++ network is perfectly secure since most of the Hubs require user authitication for network access thru large files hasing cycle that he MUST pass in order to permenantly register to that Hub !! :redface: Bad Days of p2p have come already :frown: (Miss the old days)

anon
25.08.08, 00:17
but don't you think that most of the recent network counter measure implementations done by most p2p organizations lately lack of secure p2p mapping ?

Sorry, I didn't understand this :S
Maybe you meant "antip2p organizations" or "P2P developers"? :smile:

com'on Arez & Kazaa were perfect back then with no extra hard work at all,just the users having fun using a well made network to transfer whatever data they like around the globe !!

Yes, I remember those days, defined by Wikipedia as "the times when the network was largely free or fake and corrupt files"...

Having started using Ares for example when there weren't practically any fake files on sight, but now living in a present where you can see MD's computers flood search results with non-existant files every time, definitely contrasts with the past and makes you feel a variety of feelings: hate for AP2Pers, nostalgia for what the network was before, sadness for how they have ruined it forever and pretty much not being able to do anything yourself to help it... :frown:

Moreover,the DC++ network is perfectly secure since most of the Hubs require user authitication for network access thru large files hasing cycle that he MUST pass in order to permenantly register to that Hub !! :redface:

I'm not too much of a DC++ user, but it's also true that you can have extra security features (like file hashing or "secure identification") depending on the mod you use, right?
And of course, there are also leecher DC clients, with features like no-upload, fake file/share count (for hubs that for example won't let you enter if you don't have say 1000 files or 100GB in your shared folder), etc...

Bad Days of p2p have come already :frown: (Miss the old days)

So do I, man, so do I...

2000th post, by the way :smile:
:lovesbi:

Aurion
25.08.08, 02:06
Sorry, I didn't understand this :S
Maybe you meant "antip2p organizations" or "P2P developers"?

I meant,that those p2p orgs (Bittorrent Clients/Mods developers) lack of security features when releasing new clients (till we heard about what recent Bittorrent orgs decided to implement in their new releases),so back then,the user was on his/her own all the time,being in risk of fake/malicious files being shared on the network.

Having started using Ares for example when there weren't practically any fake files on sight, but now living in a present where you can see MD's computers flood search results with non-existant files every time, definitely contrasts with the past and makes you feel a variety of feelings: hate for AP2Pers, nostalgia for what the network was before, sadness for how they have ruined it forever and pretty much not being able to do anything yourself to help it...

yeah same here,but I quit using it once I found out how the Bittorent Network is HUGE enough to get your finger tips on anything you would like to have... :tongue:

And of course, there are also leecher DC clients, with features like no-upload, fake file/share count (for hubs that for example won't let you enter if you don't have say 1000 files or 100GB in your shared folder), etc...

Well,yeah that was the Idea of the DC++ network,and still is,but I don't know if there are any mods for DC++ for fake uploading/files hasing cycle but im sure there are some since mods are everywhere for everything you can dream of around the web !! :top:

LOL Congratz on your "2000 posts" :top: Keep it up

anon
25.08.08, 02:19
I meant,that those p2p orgs (Bittorrent Clients/Mods developers) lack of security features when releasing new clients (till we heard about what recent Bittorrent orgs decided to implement in their new releases),so back then,the user was on his/her own all the time,being in risk of fake/malicious files being shared on the network.

Most P2P systems aren't designed with specifically anonymity or security in mind (well, apart from secure file hashing and the so), because we have networks like Freenet, Entropy, MUTE, etc... for that, and VPN and "torrent proxy" services should we need to use the "conventional" ones (of course you have to pay for these).

yeah same here,but I quit using it once I found out how the Bittorent Network is HUGE enough to get your finger tips on anything you would like to have... :tongue:

That's of course right :wink: But I mostly use Ares to download individual tracks, and those are pretty hard to get in BT (you have to download discography or compilation .torrents, then untick the tracks you don't want).
In Ares, yes, I have to surf through every search result until I find a .mp3 that's not fake, and that takes a bit of time, but when I find a good track it's a matter of double-clicking its entry and wait until it finishes downloading :biggrin:
It's just easier for me, but I appreciate your tip :wink:

Well,yeah that was the Idea of the DC++ network,and still is,but I don't know if there are any mods for DC++ for fake uploading/files hasing cycle but im sure there are some since mods are everywhere for everything you can dream of around the web !! :top:

Yes, there are "bad" DC++ mods :smile:
And of course a lot of "good" ones, with extra features or extensions to the protocol :top:

LOL Congratz on your "2000 posts" :top: Keep it up

I will :wink2:

Aurion
25.08.08, 04:34
Most P2P systems aren't designed with specifically anonymity or security in mind (well, apart from secure file hashing and the so), because we have networks like Freenet, Entropy, MUTE, etc... for that, and VPN and "torrent proxy" services should we need to use the "conventional" ones (of course you have to pay for these).

and this is the problem tho !! most bittorrent clients aren't meant to provide secure p2p experience for users,here comes the glitch,they should have implemented some security features that would have prevented the first cheating mod to work for example or just stop bad a55 jerks from injecting any shellcodes into .torrent files just to make p2pers more comfortable with their torrenting journey,anyway as you mentioned,if you want something extra (not included in the client,manual) then go pay for it,nothing's free lately.. :tongue:

Yes, there are "bad" DC++ mods
And of course a lot of "good" ones, with extra features or extensions to the protocol

I guess I will have to dig up Google for some since I got that feeling to start reusing DC++ again like the old days :top:

anon
25.08.08, 23:56
and this is the problem tho !! most bittorrent clients aren't meant to provide secure p2p experience for users,here comes the glitch,they should have implemented some security features that would have prevented the first cheating mod to work for example or just stop bad a55 jerks from injecting any shellcodes into .torrent files just to make p2pers more comfortable with their torrenting journey,anyway as you mentioned,if you want something extra (not included in the client,manual) then go pay for it,nothing's free lately.. :tongue:

Yes, well, I think they are designed with some security in mind - for example, neither Ares nor the official eMule will show the IPs of people you're downloading from or uploading to, and this adds a small layer of protection for them [you can still know their IP addresses using a network monitor like Windows's netstat, but that's another story]. And BitTorrent clients probably do some basic check on the .torrent before loading it to see if it's been altered, or is valid at all.
It's just that ways to bypass/crack/defeat these protections, be them small or big, basic or advanced, bad or well coded, can always be found. Developers make sure it's secure, but it can't always fully be. It's one of the principles of hacking :smile:

I guess I will have to dig up Google for some since I got that feeling to start reusing DC++ again like the old days :top:

And a leecher DC mod is the best way to re-start? :tongue:

Aurion
26.08.08, 01:20
Yes, well, I think they are designed with some security in mind - for example, neither Ares nor the official eMule will show the IPs of people you're downloading from or uploading to, and this adds a small layer of protection for them [you can still know their IP addresses using a network monitor like Windows's netstat, but that's another story]. And BitTorrent clients probably do some basic check on the .torrent before loading it to see if it's been altered, or is valid at all.
It's just that ways to bypass/crack/defeat these protections, be them small or big, basic or advanced, bad or well coded, can always be found. Developers make sure it's secure, but it can't always fully be. It's one of the principles of hacking :smile:

hmm,you are right there anon,a network monitoring tool would be just fine to actually know who's your are dealing with here,but don't you think that uT (for example) just show every peer's IP info already in the peer list you grab once a torrent starts to roll ? anyway,let's not step forward that much already,lots of protection penetrations techniques are implemented by most of the crackers lately,so it won't make a big difference tho even if somebody worked his a55 up for a couple of hours to make other people comfortable thinking they are fully protected while torrenting :tongue:

And a leecher DC mod is the best way to re-start? :tongue:

yeah,you are damn right about that,just want to see how nice it is to enter that HUGE swarm hive without being noticed :top:

anon
26.08.08, 01:39
hmm,you are right there anon,a network monitoring tool would be just fine to actually know who's your are dealing with here,but don't you think that uT (for example) just show every peer's IP info already in the peer list you grab once a torrent starts to roll ?

Of course it does ^^ I mean those that don't :smile: eMule, for example, will show the IP of the server that client is connected to at most. Anyway most programs do show people's IPs. Some look for a "middle spot" instead, and will show just the peer's subnet, like for example 98.76.215.*.

anyway,let's not step forward that much already,lots of protection penetrations techniques are implemented by most of the crackers lately,so it won't make a big difference tho even if somebody worked his a55 up for a couple of hours to make other people comfortable thinking they are fully protected while torrenting :tongue:

Yes, and this is where VPN and full torrent proxies enter the scene! :D
Some VPN companies go to the extent of calling their service(s) a "virtual firewall" because of this...

yeah,you are damn right about that,just want to see how nice it is to enter that HUGE swarm hive without being noticed :top:

OK, but don't overdo the fake file and GB count or you'll be noticed for sure :biggrin:

Aurion
26.08.08, 02:22
Of course it does ^^ I mean those that don't :smile: eMule, for example, will show the IP of the server that client is connected to at most. Anyway most programs do show people's IPs. Some look for a "middle spot" instead, and will show just the peer's subnet, like for example 98.76.215.*.

heh ! those peers subnets could be fake as well in most cases using any of the mods available,Im talking about something with pure honest IP list,something linked to a n00b's PC :tongue:

Yes, and this is where VPN and full torrent proxies enter the scene! :D
Some VPN companies go to the extent of calling their service(s) a "virtual firewall" because of this...

well,such a project would benefit VPN companies in a way much bigger aspect,just to convince more & more people with that shiney product

OK, but don't overdo the fake file and GB count or you'll be noticed for sure :biggrin:

nah,don't worry,I was using that legal versions of DC++ hashing good files,and I was fine,now I will BANG them up I gues whenever I like :klatsch_3:

anon
26.08.08, 21:48
heh ! those peers subnets could be fake as well in most cases using any of the mods available,Im talking about something with pure honest IP list,something linked to a n00b's PC :tongue:

It doesn't have to be a noob. Both you and me are P2Ping right now, and our IPs are visible to anybody connected to us. That doesn't make us noobs itself, right? :wink:

well,such a project would benefit VPN companies in a way much bigger aspect,just to convince more & more people with that shiney product

Back when it started VPN was mainly used for people to connect and "virtually" (V in VPN :smile:) form part of, say, their workplace's private network, and work as if they were there (regarding networking).
Now the emphasis is placed on a feature that's, by design, even optional in VPNs (encryption), and people not being able to see your real IP. :tongue:

nah,don't worry,I was using that legal versions of DC++ hashing good files,and I was fine,now I will BANG them up I gues whenever I like :klatsch_3:

So if an admin looks at the shares of who's just joined the hub, he'll see a long list of legit, "true" files, enough for him to close the list before reaching its end :tongue:
Do well :top:

Aurion
27.08.08, 02:45
It doesn't have to be a noob. Both you and me are P2Ping right now, and our IPs are visible to anybody connected to us. That doesn't make us noobs itself, right? :wink:

ya I know I was joking about how a script-kiddie(tm) would penetrates a n00b's PC in no seconds knowing his IP included in the BIG list :tongue:

Back when it started VPN was mainly used for people to connect and "virtually" (V in VPN :smile:) form part of, say, their workplace's private network, and work as if they were there (regarding networking).
Now the emphasis is placed on a feature that's, by design, even optional in VPNs (encryption), and people not being able to see your real IP. :tongue:

well,once I knew about VPN I believed that it's a good secured network that one can depend on,still not all people would afford renting/purchasing a VPN,that's why the need to do something that provides a more secured implementation should be done sooner or later,just for normal p2p users who wants to have a nice time surfing a couple of trackers thru the day :biggrin:

So if an admin looks at the shares of who's just joined the hub, he'll see a long list of legit, "true" files, enough for him to close the list before reaching its end :tongue:
Do well :top:
nah,in DC++ there is an automated hash files checker that won't allow you to enter tha hub unless the checking phase completes,and if you didn't match the hubs requirements,then you get kicked outside to the main hubs list,so now gonna have some real fun :tongue:

anon
27.08.08, 21:05
ya I know I was joking about how a script-kiddie(tm) would penetrates a n00b's PC in no seconds knowing his IP included in the BIG list :tongue:

Well, if a Windows computer has the "Workstation" service running, it's easier for hackers to enter it just knowing your IP; even total lamers with their hands in the right tools can do it.
Security tip: disable that service :wink: Unless you're in a LAN. In that case, install a firewall and only open the ports you need.

nah,in DC++ there is an automated hash files checker that won't allow you to enter tha hub unless the checking phase completes,and if you didn't match the hubs requirements,then you get kicked outside to the main hubs list,so now gonna have some real fun :tongue:

Yes, I knew that some hubs control whether you can enter them or not depending on how many shared files or GBs you have.
I meant that as you have said you have enough shares, that, and admins looking at them won't be a prob for you ;)

Aurion
27.08.08, 21:56
Well, if a Windows computer has the "Workstation" service running, it's easier for hackers to enter it just knowing your IP; even total lamers with their hands in the right tools can do it.
Security tip: disable that service :wink: Unless you're in a LAN. In that case, install a firewall and only open the ports you need.

well,my connection is based on a LAN line since I use a router,but if you mean that im withing a network,nah,I'm on my own tho

Yes, I knew that some hubs control whether you can enter them or not depending on how many shared files or GBs you have.
I meant that as you have said you have enough shares, that, and admins looking at them won't be a prob for you ;)

yeah sure,no problem at all,I'm just getting in to grab a couple of files tho :tongue:

anon
27.08.08, 21:59
well,my connection is based on a LAN line since I use a router,but if you mean that im withing a network,nah,I'm on my own tho

Then you can safely disable it :smile: You know, the classic procedure: Start -> Run... -> services.msc -> look for the "Workstation" service, double-click it and click "Stop", and then choose "disabled" in Start type. :top:

yeah sure,no problem at all,I'm just getting in to grab a couple of files tho :tongue:

Have fun in the DC++ network :top:

Aurion
27.08.08, 22:04
Then you can safely disable it :smile: You know, the classic procedure: Start -> Run... -> services.msc -> look for the "Workstation" service, double-click it and click "Stop", and then choose "disabled" in Start type. :top:

but are you sure,this won't affect my Inet connection,torrents & else ??

Have fun in the DC++ network :top:

yeah sure,thanks alot my friend :smile:

anon
27.08.08, 22:07
No, it won't: it's just to share files and such things when you're in a LAN.

NP :top:

Aurion
28.08.08, 03:40
No, it won't: it's just to share files and such things when you're in a LAN.

NP :top:

LOL good then,already disabled :top: