PDA

View Full Version : Tackling College Piracy: The P2P Quiz

anon
12.08.08, 18:56
Under the College Opportunity and Affordability Act, colleges and universities that get federal funding have to come up with ways to deal with “Campus-based Digital Theft Prevention”. The bill doesn’t give specific methods, and universities can come up with their own methods, as Missouri S&T has done with their P2P quiz.

Tackling College Piracy: The P2P Quiz | TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/tackling-college-piracy-the-p2p-quiz-080811/)

Edit: repeated thread, sorry :redface:

Aurion
12.08.08, 18:58
LOL as I already mentioned before,they just have to cease uploading their personal academic data on PCs :tongue: (or may cut off Inet connection,which wont probably happen)

anon
12.08.08, 19:38
The good thing about university connections is that they have extremely high-bandwidth connections, ideal for P2P ]:D
But the college's administration gets in trouble if the RIAA and MPAA sees its line has been used to transfer copyrighted stuff, that's why they must have a "zero-tolerance" against P2Pers, or else they're sued about it :|... in the end it's all about money

Aurion
13.08.08, 19:26
Well,yeah Universities have really BIG speeds but in general u have an admin access mode/user profile all the time,so its just used for downloading regular lectures/tutorials thats all !! anyway,good thing we have large packages @ home :tongue:

anon
13.08.08, 23:01
in general u have an admin access mode/user profile all the time

When nobody's logged on to Windows (login box), in reality a user called SYSTEM is. We can use that to our advantage :shockkk!: (it's a bit hard to get a useful app to start in these cases since you're not supposed to do anything but logging in, but ways exist :wink:)

Btw, System's user profile hive is located at HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT , and his home directory at %windir%\system32\config\systemprofile if some of you want to play around with this trick :top:

Aurion
16.08.08, 17:57
well yeah im familiar with this technique,I once messed up with my winlogon.ini registry string by changing the attribute value from 0 to 1 then restarted PC,and "Bang" no way I u can log in back again !! ur PC is fucking locked up forever !! (anyway,I reinstalled OS,dont know maybe there was a way to get back in)

anon
16.08.08, 19:35
(anyway,I reinstalled OS,dont know maybe there was a way to get back in)

Maybe with an offline registry editor...

Aurion
18.08.08, 13:19
Maybe with an offline registry editor...

well did not try that before,give me tips tho :wink:

anon
18.08.08, 18:12
ntpasswd (http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/) has a basic offline registry editor apart from its password changer...