PDA

View Full Version : Harrington fills Tiger void with PGA win

zatoicchi
12.08.08, 10:59
BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP)—Everyone wondered who would fill the void with Tiger Woods recuperating and out of the last two majors.

The answer is pretty clear.

Padraig Harrington overcame a three-shot deficit, coolly rolling in a 10-foot birdie putt on the 17th hole and 15-footer for par on 18, to pull away from Sergio Garcia and Ben Curtis and win the PGA Championship on Sunday.

In a fitting follow to winning his second straight British Open three weeks ago, the Irishman became only the fourth player—and first European—to win the claret jug and the Wanamaker Trophy in the same year. He also became the first European to win the PGA Championship since Tommy Armour of Scotland in 1930.

“I really do like the fact that no other European has won (those) two majors consecutively,” Harrington said after the stirring finish. “Because I obviously hold a lot of European players that I grew up watching in high esteem. To believe that I achieved something that they hadn’t is very special.”

Harrington fills Tiger void with PGA win (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-pgachampionship&prov=ap&type=lgns)