PDA

View Full Version : Controlling crowded Web challenges Comcast

zatoicchi
09.08.08, 11:18
The Federal Communications Commission recently ordered Comcast to stop blocking customers from sharing online videos and other large files on the Internet — because doing so violated federal policy.

The ruling came at a time when online providers are searching for new ways to relieve Web traffic jams. It was the first time the FCC has enforced open Internet access or "network neutrality" principles.
Comcast said it delays so-called "peer-to-peer" traffic from programs such as
BitTorrent, Gnutella, or eDonkey. Even then, the company said it only steps in when someone is trying to upload large files to the Internet. So consumers who watch a video on YouTube, download a movie from iTunes or Netflix or make a call using Skype are not affected.

In separate interviews with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, an official from Comcast and a professor at Georgia Tech discussed whether the company is playing traffic cop or Big Brother.

Q: Could you boil this down for me? What's the basic issue here?

Waz: While we are constantly expanding the speed and capacity of our broadband networks, Internet traffic has exploded. To manage this congestion — as well as for things like spam, viruses, and spyware — all broadband providers have to manage their networks. Cable broadband is a shared network in the last mile, so a few users taking up a huge amount of upstream bandwidth can negatively affect the experience of other customers on the network.

Controlling crowded Web challenges Comcast (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2008/08/10/comcast_web.html)

Aurion
09.08.08, 15:13
why do I feel that Comcast,will comply to the federal policy by not cutting down users bandwith Just to calm things down,then rises up again pissing off users,anyway I guess this is a bad point :

While we are constantly expanding the speed and capacity of our broadband networks, Internet traffic has exploded

LOL where is that Huge expansion he is talking about while most users packages are limited to almost 20% of his authorized speed (something is going wrong here)

anon
09.08.08, 22:29
LOL where is that Huge expansion he is talking about while most users packages are limited to almost 20% of his authorized speed (something is going wrong here)

That's right, specially the last part :klatsch_3:
I think someone at CC needs either a reality check or a maths lesson... :tongue:

Aurion
12.08.08, 20:04
dont know why I feel that most of those victim users would migrate to other countries to NJoy their FreeDom :tongue:

anon
12.08.08, 21:00
Or use VPN so that it'll be as if you lived in another country, heh :biggrin:
Anyway having to pay for a workaround to the issue that enables you to bypass a lame limitation preventing you from having what should be yours in the first place really sucks...

Aurion
13.08.08, 19:35
LOL lately u can notice ur normal personal rights are ripped from ya :tongue:

anon
13.08.08, 22:51
It's been becoming a bit of a "trend" for them lately :mad2:

Aurion
16.08.08, 19:14
or just a silly personal believe in things we already have a right to obtain !! :baeh: