PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu attracts the lion's share of LinuxWorld's smaller crowds

zatoicchi
08.08.08, 09:49
Even though attendance was a bit sparse during this year's LinuxWorld Conference & Expo when compared to previous years, the Canonical booth -- where the latest Ubuntu Linux software was being shown off -- still managed to draw a crowd.

Each Ubuntu presentation and training session throughout the three days of LinuxWorld was heavily attended, especially compared to similar sessions elsewhere where relatively few attended. Ubuntu and Linux in general have, Canonical representatives claimed, have finally matured as a technology, rendering the need for an extravagant technology show no longer necessary.

Branching away from regular Ubuntu, there now is Ubuntu Server Edition Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, Edubuntu, and Ubuntu Mobile Edition, with further permutations likely.

Ubuntu attracts the lion's share of LinuxWorld's smaller crowds (http://www.betanews.com/article/Ubuntu_attracts_the_lions_share_of_LinuxWorlds_sma ller_crowds/1218146689)

anon
08.08.08, 19:08
Branching away from regular Ubuntu, there now is Ubuntu Server Edition Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, Edubuntu, and Ubuntu Mobile Edition...

I knew about all of those (downloaded Xubuntu a few days ago to test it on a VM), but Ubuntu Mobile Edition? "mobile" sounds nice, will see what it's all about... Maybe something like this (http://mobileunixj2me.sourceforge.net/)? :biggrin: My old Nokia would run that at 8 FPS :klatsch_3:

Edit: it doesn't look like anything my RAZRv3 could run (it has "application error" problems with like 9 out of 10 java games and apps I install... :frown:)

http://www.ubuntu.com/files/u1/html-small.jpg

Aurion
09.08.08, 17:58
well,its obviously that Linux has the great slice of the market share regarding OS (IMO regardless XP users) since it got lots of fans lately who just love to work on an OS that might help them in terms of coding/hacking :tongue:

anon
09.08.08, 20:39
well,its obviously that Linux has the great slice of the market share regarding OS

Maybe you mean a great slice ^^
But between hackers that's true :wink:

Aurion
11.08.08, 18:29
Maybe you mean a great slice ^^
But between hackers that's true :wink:

no I meant the Great (biggest) :wink:

anon
11.08.08, 18:31
Didn't Windows have the biggest slice ^^
Or do you mean between Linux OSes?

Aurion
12.08.08, 16:56
Didn't Windows have the biggest slice ^^
Or do you mean between Linux OSes?

Well,let us be honest,lately Linux already has the "Word Of The Mouth" promotion according to PC users,however,Windows is having the propaganda since OS = Windows for most PC users (u know when a new n00b comes into PC world the first thing his eye notices is XP)

anon
12.08.08, 18:03
Well, it is true that Linux is gaining every time more exposure and it isn't as "experts only" and hard to install as it sometimes got before :top: (in Ubuntu and its derivates, for example, the install wizard is 100% easy to understand, and as it runs in a live CD you can browse the net, IM, listen to music etc... as you install the OS :cool2:)

Here half the computers for sale you see at shops have XP starter edition (don't know how this still exists, it actually makes things harder for people who are new to computers IMO) and the other half........ any kind of Linux distro :klatsch_3:

Aurion
14.08.08, 18:09
Well,I guess people got fed up already with the silly XP versions since u remember the first thing used to see on switching their PCs on is "Windows XP" which in earlier versions sucked BIG TIME !! Moreover,as time goes on,people got more familiar with computing techniques that sounded so n00bish while using XP !! Anyway,PC addicters still find hard time dealing with XP bugs (for sure I won't mention any other MS products -u know what im talking about here- since bugs are attached to any MS OS) so they boosted their energy in exploring new horizons of NJoying their PC experience by getting familiar with Hacking