PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Labs considers grafting IM onto Firefox

zatoicchi
08.08.08, 09:47
When a company's lab typically comes forth with an idea for the general public, it already has a proposition in mind for why that idea is necessarily good. This morning, one of Mozilla Labs' latest ideas actually leaves that question open.

With Mozilla Labs in the news recently, even if it's for bold ideas that have yet to find their way to source code, the organization is taking advantage of this added attention to float an idea for a possible future Firefox permutation: What if instant messaging, RSS, and other concurrent textual feeds such as Twitter, were embedded in the Web browser in such a way that any kind of personal message could be made to appear through a single channel?

That general concept made a brief appearance in Adaptive Path's latest video for Mozilla Labs, which depicted a proof-of-concept browser called "Aurora." One of the key features of that concept was direct communication between two users facilitated through the browser, including voice and video, sharing the pointer remotely, and transferring data between local and remote data stores while maintaining context.

Mozilla Labs considers grafting IM onto Firefox (http://www.betanews.com/article/Mozilla_Labs_considers_grafting_IM_onto_Firefox/1218150627)

anon
08.08.08, 19:07
Made me remember a Sourceforge project that was a web browser, multi-network IM client, music player, and could connect to the Gnutella network and download torrents, among other things. If they keep on adding stuff to FF, it'll become something like that :biggrin: Which would make a nice Windows shell :top:

zatoicchi
09.08.08, 11:10
hopefully it will just be like another add-on .i would like the choice to add it or not to FF..:wink:

SealLion
09.08.08, 16:33
I agree. It would be better if it was an add-on.

FF would be too large and take too long to load if this thing was built in to the browser.

Aurion
09.08.08, 18:03
that "Aurora" thing sounds interesting,would love to have that in my FF soon

anon
09.08.08, 23:05
I agree. It would be better if it was an add-on.

Me too, what FF less needs right now is more RAM usage and startup time.

zatoicchi
10.08.08, 02:47
startup time.]

yea,somehow when i updated it to the new version, the start up time is slower..:frown:

anon
10.08.08, 19:14
Too bad :frown:
Maybe cleaning your config-folder (just like when you're installing a new version of the Azureus Hack and have problems :biggrin:) helps? (back it up first :top:)

SealLion
10.08.08, 21:24
I am curious to know how one would clean the config-folder. Is it as simple as deleting material that isn't needed anylonger, Anon??

Also, what components inside the config-folder are essential and should not be deleted/cleaned??

anon
10.08.08, 21:39
Well, I don't use FF too much, but I can say to "clean" your config folder is to at least remove the files where Firefox stores its settings (the FF equivalent of Opera's opera6.ini and other INIs; and this is why I told zat to backup), so that it "starts fresh" again. You can also delete everything, but this will make you lose your bookmarks, RSS feeds, stored passwords and the such, which I'm sure you want to keep.

Also, essential files would be:
* settings
* bookmarks
* stored passwords
* master password (leaves everything crypted using it unusable if you delete it and can't remember what it was...)
* extensions/addons
* certificates

And things that could be deleted safely IMO:
* cookies
* history
* cache
* stored sessions (that's the Opera term -autosave.win-, don't know how they're called in FF)
* skins/styles

SealLion
11.08.08, 05:20
Ah...so you use Opera too. I too use opera to in addition to FF.

ONe thing that I have noticed about Opera is that it starts quicker than FF does.

I believe that this is b/c of all the extensions that one can import into the browser's functionality.

On a personal note, I deleted all the extensions and skins for the browser that I don't use anylonger. I have noticed a difference in start up times for FF.

But with OPera, I do like it.
Mind you there are some bugs with Opera such as incorrect page rendering that does kind of bug me still.

Overall. It is also a good browser. Its kind of a shame that, at least as far as what I have heard, is that its kind of an under-rated browser. At least thats with some of the info that I've come accross in some forums.

anon
11.08.08, 18:23
Ah...so you use Opera too. I too use opera to in addition to FF.

I use Opera mainly but know some FF tricks :tongue:

ONe thing that I have noticed about Opera is that it starts quicker than FF does.

Yea, it does... back when I used mainly FF, I noticed it took a while to open, and even more if I was testing some add-ons or tweaks, and the browser hanged so that I had to terminate it with the Task Manager :frown: O kind of "recovers" from a "cold" shutdown faster, and gives you the choice of not opening any pages before it runs again, for cases it was a web page that crashed the program (Download.com would freeze Opera every time until some time ago). But Firefox gives you the option of "restoring the last session" or starting with no pages open too ^^

I believe that this is b/c of all the extensions that one can import into the browser's functionality.

FF is really extensible, Opera has "widgets" but isn't as customizable as when using Firefox's addons :top:

On a personal note, I deleted all the extensions and skins for the browser that I don't use anylonger. I have noticed a difference in start up times for FF.

Pretty much like how using the native window scheme for Op and cleaning-up its INI makes things faster too :D

But with OPera, I do like it.
Mind you there are some bugs with Opera such as incorrect page rendering that does kind of bug me still.

That's true :frown: Some sites don't really carry on well with Opera's engine (even when they did render correctly with previous versions). Sometimes this is "solved" by telling Op to "emulate IE" in that site, but not always... :|

Overall. It is also a good browser. Its kind of a shame that, at least as far as what I have heard, is that its kind of an under-rated browser. At least thats with some of the info that I've come accross in some forums.

I think the same... not saying everyone should use Opera, but give it a try! :biggrin:

Aurion
11.08.08, 18:27
@SeaLion: LOL its just that u know a PC kiddie is born into the Inet world with two words out of his mouth "IE Sux & FF OWNZ" :tongue:

anon
11.08.08, 18:37
While "veteran" users had to gradually drop the idea of "the blue E = Internet" and start learning how to use other apps :tongue: The first time I went to a cafe (a lot of time ago) and it had Netscape installed instead of IE I was totally clueless xD