PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla: Tell us how you see the future of Web browsing

zatoicchi
06.08.08, 11:04
With new versions of Firefox adding welcome features but no radical changes to the way people live and work, its producers are wondering whether the general public may have better ideas about Firefox' future than their own engineers.

After the production of a new and not-so-fanciful proof-of-concept video for Mozilla Labs by San Francisco-based software design consultants Adaptive Path, the Mozilla organization has put out an open call for anyone and everyone to create similar videos that could offer glimpses into a future browser, unlimited by the confines of its operating system.

"You don't have to be a software engineer to get involved, and you don't have to program. Everyone is welcome to participate," reads a blog post today from Mozilla engineer Chris Beard. "We're particularly interested in engaging with designers who have not typically been involved with open source projects. And we're biasing towards broad participation, not finished implementations."

Specifically, Mozilla is looking for ideas that visually answer the question, where does the browser go from here? Last June, a concept video by engineer Aza Raskin depicting a possible future Mozilla browser for mobile devices -- maybe Firefox, maybe something else -- met with very positive response after being distributed by Mozilla.

Mozilla: Tell us how you see the future of Web browsing (http://www.betanews.com/article/Mozilla_Tell_us_how_you_see_the_future_of_Web_brow sing/1217975373)

anon
06.08.08, 18:58
The good thing about this is that people that don't have coding experiences (which had been quite a bit of a barrier sometimes) but still want to contribute now can, and most important, they can share the experiences and ideas of "normal" users (= who the browser is meant for :biggrin:)

Aurion
06.08.08, 19:38
"Mozilla is looking for ideas that visually answer the question...."

Well,I respect that with the Mozilla Team to be honest,they just make sure to provide a professionally made product to compete with the world wide monsters used by the majority of the Inet users :top:

anon
06.08.08, 19:56
Well,I respect that with the Mozilla Team to be honest

They made Firefox :biggrin: And whether we like that browser or not, we have to recognize it was (and is :smile:) an important hit in Internet history :klatsch_3:

Aurion
06.08.08, 20:17
yeah you mentioned urself it had the credits to introduce the very first new feature of what so called "Tabs" which amazingly got it lots of fans back then in just no time

anon
06.08.08, 20:23
Opera 3 already had "tabs" before, but it was Firefox that made them popular I think :tongue:

Aurion
06.08.08, 20:25
Opera 3 already had "tabs" before, but it was Firefox that made them popular I think :tongue:

LOL did not know that,never used Opera before tho :tongue: yeah but FF got lots of new features/add-ons got well known to Inet users

anon
06.08.08, 20:29
FF got lots of new features/add-ons got well known to Inet users

Yes, Firefox is extremely extensible and customizable. Just go to addons.mozilla.org and see by yourself :wink:; almost nobody uses a "vanilla" (unmodified) install now, everyone has at least 1 extension installed :klatsch_3:

Aurion
06.08.08, 20:53
also dont forget the overall browser stability in terms of crashing (regardless those new ones followed by FF3 Beta) which u see happening in IE especially when loading up multiple websites & this what excites me when using a browser (want a monster grinding machine all the time here for excessive browsing :biggrin:)

anon
06.08.08, 20:57
overall browser stability in terms of crashing ... which u see happening in IE especially when loading up multiple websites

At school of cafes, opening lots of IE instances (which is what a nice batch script I run from my flash drive does) does make it crash and me lose all windows every now and then. :mad2:

But Opera 9.51 has crashed like 5 times so far since I installed it, two of those when I was writing long posts, so I can't say too much :biggrin:

Aurion
06.08.08, 21:23
LOL yeah that IE thingy sux big time,with FF even with 30+ tabs/windows opened nothing happen even if I left them opened for 48+ hours :tongue: FF OWNZ