PDA

View Full Version : Capcom struggles with piracy, DRM, and low PC sales of DMCIV

zatoicchi
04.08.08, 04:32
It's always fascinating when developers and publishers have an open discourse with gamers about the industry, and in a recent thread where a fan wondered if Capcom was happy about Devil May Cry 4 sales on the PC, a conversation about digital distribution, piracy, and DRM began that has proven incredibly interesting. Yes, the game got pirated "to hell and back," but Capcom is bullish about the possibilities for future PC games, even if sales of Devil May Cry 4 weren't as strong as some had hoped.
Christian Svensson, the Corporate Officer/VP of Strategic Planning & Business Development of Capcom, spoke at length about the issue on the official forums, adding his annoyance that the team behind the game "didn't use any of the DRM mechanisms requested," and that the game was torrented the day of release. Svensson sees a big help coming from digital distribution channels for future games. "I certainly have pushed for digital distribution on the title (globally, I'm responsible for all DD deals), but Capcom Japan so far has not allowed it," he wrote. "For the record ALL CEI developed titles will be distributed extremely widely via digital channels (not just Steam or Direct2Drive, but more than a dozen partners across more than 100 sites/portals for everything we do)."

Capcom struggles with piracy, DRM, and low PC sales of DMCIV (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080803-capcom-struggles-with-piracy-drm-and-low-pc-sales-of-dmciv.html)

anon
04.08.08, 19:25
adding his annoyance that the team behind the game "didn't use any of the DRM mechanisms requested," and that the game was torrented the day of release.

What, Counter-Strike: Source's developers used the Steam DRM system, and the game was released 3 days before it went retail...

hitman
04.08.08, 23:15
i would say that the people that wanted to play the game just bought it a few month ago for the 360 and ps3 that could be one reason for the bad sales on the pc and after all devil may cry is on the consoles a big hit but on the pc the interest ist probably very low maybe this are the reasons why it sales on the pc so bad and not because of piracy. what they expect after releasing the game nearly 1/2 year after the consoles version

Aurion
09.08.08, 17:24
i would say that the people that wanted to play the game just bought it a few month ago for the 360 and ps3 that could be one reason for the bad sales on the pc ..

u got a point here hitman !! I guess games now regarding PC versions are getting down into the drain since most of those new games are already being released on other platforms (Xbox,PS,Wi-Fi ..etc) then gets on PC in the last place due to excessive demand of those platforms editions !! Anyway,its kinda hard to find a Cool game on PC that wouldnt have been pre-released on other platforms before :eek3:

anon
09.08.08, 22:02
As consoles are destined exclusively to gaming, it's more convenient for companies to release games for them, and then later for the PC (if at all)

Aurion
12.08.08, 18:53
Well yeah thats true & this is what pisses me off the most :baeh: