PDA

View Full Version : Robredo opens Cincinnati Masters with win

zatoicchi
29.07.08, 10:55
MASON, Ohio (AP)—Twelfth-seeded Tommy Robredo, a winner two weeks ago on clay, picked up his hard-court game on Monday and beat nemesis Mardy Fish 6-2, 6-2 in the opening match of the Cincinnati Masters.

Robredo is 3-3 against Fish, including a loss in their previous meeting at the Australian Open in January.

“He destroyed me in three sets,” Robredo said. “So I had to be very focused from the beginning, and I think I did it.”

The $2.6 million ATP Western & Southern Financial Group Masters is being played at the Lindner Family Tennis Center north of Cincinnati. Defending champion Roger Federer, Wimbledon and French Open champion Rafael Nadal and the rest of the top eight seeded players all had first-round byes.

No. 16 seed Ivo Karlovic beat Thomaz Bellucci 6-3, 6-4, but the other two seeded players in action Monday were eliminated.

Tommy Haas beat No. 14 Mikhail Youzhny 7-6 (2), 2-6, 6-4, and Tomas Berdych knocked off No. 13 Fernando Gonzalez of Chile, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.

Robredo opens Cincinnati Masters with win (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AjOlIASjKX9SIiFg_Z1y2Kw4v7YF?slug=ap-cincinnatimasters&prov=ap&type=lgns)